[SOLVED] AMD APU availability to the public?

Bernard_10

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016
Not really an issue. I was looking online for ideas for my next PC build and I came across some ads for AMD's line of 4000 APUs.
Did some more research and I found out that AMD is limiting these to OEM's only (HP, Dell, etc.).
Does anyone have any info if/when AMD might release these (or something compatible) for PC enthusiasts / builders ?🤔🙏

Solution
As noted, you can find the 'tray' CPU's and APU's on e-Bay and other markets. That's because OEM's over-buy and then re-sell them. Some shady re-sellers buy them in lot quantity from the OEM and then counterfeit a box to put them in.

But don't be mislead: they're still tray parts. You can tell by the part numbers etched on the heat spreader and AMD can tell by the serial number also etched there.

But yes, it's still a functional CPU/APU. Well, usually as defectives, or escapes, do make it through any QA process. That's important to remember because a tray part does not have a warranty from AMD. So buyer beware.
Not really an issue. I was looking online for ideas for my next PC build and I came across some ads for AMD's line of 4000 APUs.
Did some more research and I found out that AMD is limiting these to OEM's only (HP, Dell, etc.).
Does anyone have any info if/when AMD might release these (or something compatible) for PC enthusiasts / builders ?🤔🙏
Ryzen R3 4630G and R5 4650G are available for desktop PCs.

As noted, you can find the 'tray' CPU's and APU's on e-Bay and other markets. That's because OEM's over-buy and then re-sell them. Some shady re-sellers buy them in lot quantity from the OEM and then counterfeit a box to put them in.

But don't be mislead: they're still tray parts. You can tell by the part numbers etched on the heat spreader and AMD can tell by the serial number also etched there.

But yes, it's still a functional CPU/APU. Well, usually as defectives, or escapes, do make it through any QA process. That's important to remember because a tray part does not have a warranty from AMD. So buyer beware.

Last edited:
Solution

Bernard_10

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016

So The answer is sneaky re-sellers will be selling any excess they obtain from OEM's, but AMD won't be selling them openly, officially, and don't have any plans to. Going through backroom channels doesn't sound all that appealing since there's no guarantee you'll get a quality part, and it sounds like you'll be paying a lot more than if AMD was selling them in stores ( like MicroCenter, or Amazon).

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
We don't really have to buy a complete OEM system.We can buy cpu/mem/mobo in a combo.It's pretty cheap and even in some scenarios cheaper than the 3400g.But if you buy a pre build then the 3400g are cheaper(complete 3400g pre build for 382 usd if i convert currency)I am impressed with them tbh and am looking to build a second gaming pc at a later date.I will for sure look to get one.

I am assuming AMD will release info around june/july or maybe even August.I am not keen on new parts though as for us the 5600x are almost that of a 3600.I can imagine new ones will even be more.We have seen this with Nvidia,Intel and AMD.The one who's leading can charge w/e they want and people will flock like birds to buy it.

Depends on your location, this is full factory with OEM cooler
https://baito.rs/procesori/amd-ryzen-5-pro-4650g-6-cores-3-7ghz-4-2ghz-mpk
hmmm....

What do you mean by 'full factory'? AMD doesn't show they sell a -PIB (Processor In Box) version of it...

https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-5-pro-4650g

I suspect it's been bundled with a cooler and boxed by a VAR so the VAR will have to provide warranty. Also keep in mind that's a PRO, so it's not unlocked making overclocking not possible on any motherboard.

Last edited:
Yo asked about 4000 series, I know of 2 installed by friends, Properly boxed (not tray or in big empty box like some others( but with AMD seal and Wraith Stealth cooler. Performance is comparable to 3600. OC is moot point because even rest of Ryzen are rare to go over boost frequency and also could be set to 4.2GHz on all cores just by multiplier.