AMD apu without any other graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
I still don't really 'get' the full implications and limitations of the newer (for me anyway, haven't looked at this stuff since ~1.5 years ago) and am wondering if I can use say an amd A4-3400 on a board w/o onboard graphics or a discrete gpu card and still get decent video off of it.

Solution
A4-3400 has the video card in the processor, so the motherboard doesn't include it's own graphics. You'll be using either the processors built in graphics, or you can purchase a dedicated card and use that instead. Low end cards like the 6450, 6570, 6670 can be used in crossfire with the video card in the A4-3400 for some increased performance.

Graphics in the A4 series aren't that good, better than previous AMD integrated solutions, probably still enough for casual gaming, but the A8 has better graphics with performance levels around a 5570/4670.

loneninja

Distinguished
A4-3400 has the video card in the processor, so the motherboard doesn't include it's own graphics. You'll be using either the processors built in graphics, or you can purchase a dedicated card and use that instead. Low end cards like the 6450, 6570, 6670 can be used in crossfire with the video card in the A4-3400 for some increased performance.

Graphics in the A4 series aren't that good, better than previous AMD integrated solutions, probably still enough for casual gaming, but the A8 has better graphics with performance levels around a 5570/4670.

Solution

striker410

Distinguished
I'm confused by your question. The A4 is a dual-core CPU with a built in graphics chip. You won't be gaming on it but it will get the job done. How it works is it's basically the CPU and GPU on one chip, instead of them being separate. The FM1 boards DO NOT have any GPU of any kind on them, they are merely the pipe to connect the CPU/GPU to the screen.

Does that answer your question? I'm sorry if it's over complicated.

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010

Yeah, I just didn't know if it needed to be included in a crossfire with a separate graphics unit or if it could function as its own graphics unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.