AMD APU13: Oculus Rift Revisited, Now in HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

michalmierzwa

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
I am super excited with Oculus Rift and Omni! I was busy teaching my young pupils at school about the technology, screening a video showcasing the product and how it works. Their jaws dropped down from disbelief and awe. They kept asking me if I can ask Father Christmas to drop one under their door. LOL

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
I had Virtual i/o i-Glasses back in the 90's and even had head-tracking. They were awesome for their time. The colors weren't totally accurate and the low-res pixilation was apparent but I loved it because the 3D was spectacular. The biggest problem was that the head tracking didn't have a good calibration method so they often had a slow drift. I only used that in Descent.

Sep 22, 2013
I think this is going to be awesome!

I still haven't heard a clear explanation on what is needed for games to support this.

Is there a separate API? Are games that already support 3D in some fashion compatible?

I see this being great technology IF, and ONLY if it can be used either via an adaptive plugin or API with any game.

If a game has to be developed around the Oculus hardware, I see this as an uphill battle.

TechnoD

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
Already saving up some cash for one of these! Its going to be great.
@ethanolson
I still have all the original Descent 1,2,3 and Freespace 1 and 2 discs. One of my favorite games of all time.

Thorfkin

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
This isn't the first time 3d HMDs have been in the spotlight. Back in the mid-90s there was a company called VFX3D that produced an HMD with motion tracking. However the hardware was prohibitively expensive back then. In the range of $900 per headset if I recall correctly. Also the HMD's screen resolution was limited to something like 320x240 while most people were using a minimum render resolution of 1024x768 by then so it never really caught on. The Rift looks set to succeed where it's predecessors failed. The resolution is decent in the HD version and the cost looks set to be a lot more competitive. I'm definitely in. Looking forward to playing Doom 3 again with one of these.

Of course, I never had the opportunity to play Descent with the 3D head-mounted displays that were available in the '90s (though I was aware of them)...but I can't wait to play with this. It'll be five-minute sessions every night, but I'll love every second of it until the nausea wins and I have to rip the goggles off before I throw up. :D My body is kinda sorta ready...

jankeke

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
@Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer

Not everyone will feel sick using these. But if you have been sea sick before there is a good chance you'll get at least a headache with this. But maybe you should have a bucket in your lap while you play, just to be sure. Ah but how will you see when your bucket runs over with a OR on your head ? Dilemma ... ^^

And soon you'll be hearing a lot of "AFK ! My bucket runneth over !" in MMOs. ^^

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

AFAIK, there is an API for this, and it is very easy to implement. Basically you need 2 view matrices instead of 1, and tie their rotation around a point in between them, and then rotate according to what the Rift tells you. Of course you need to render to both eyes, making it quite demanding, but you can also skip things like anti-aliasing, as it shouldn't be very noticeable with VR (your brain will filter the separate images anyways, reducing aliasing).

So yes, it can be used with any 3D game, which adds support.

edit: turns out there is a bit more to it, but still doesn't seem too difficult: http://gamasutra.com/blogs/NickWhiting/20130611/194007/Integrating_the_Oculus_Rift_into_Unreal_Engine_4.php

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
I hope FPS developers realize nobody wants to aim with their head. They need to dissociate the viewport from the crosshairs. In other words, when I move my head, I should be able to look around the game, but the "gun" should still be aimed with the mouse (or gamepad).

dozerman

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
This is an exiting time to be a PC gamer. I'm honestly a little iiffy about this, though, for a few reasons. One, there are probably applications for this in 3rd person games, but It's obviously geared for first person. As disruptive as it may be for FPS and the such, it isn't going to completely change everything. There is also a social stigma against this already. It's definitely not going to be for the mainstream gamers. Aside from that, it's a good idea that I think will catch on in the hardcore gamer crowd. Just gotta see how it does. It seems a little like the NIA, and we all know how that ended.

Sep 22, 2013

Nice. Thanks for the detailed reply. Also throwing money at the screen. Nothing happening. Screen is now dirty.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
Gaming is a great way to leave your worries and stresses behind for a little while. I say that when I'm gaming @1080p without 3D. I've never used a 3D monitor for gaming. I can only imagine the immersion that Oculus Rift will bring. The future of gaming never looked so promising before.

computerguy72

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
For those who are discussing 3D headsets of the past they all had both a very narrow FOV and very low resolution. The lag was often also quite significant. I've bought 5 or 6 such headsets over the last 15 years or so and they were all so incredibly flawed. I've tried the Rift a couple of times and it really does address the major flaws previous tries all had. I really do think this is a game changer. Pardon the pun.

noahdilweed

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
I keep watchng the development of this tech and all i think of is ./hack series. People being immersed in "the World". I see this going in that direction, minus the comatose victims. Hopefully....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS