AMD Assures Better Coolers for Radeon HD 8000 Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
I'm all for better reference coolers. AMD cards have notoriously been much louder than Nvidia cards since Nvidia redesigned their fan for the 600 and 700 series. As long as AMD can make faster cards with quieter coolers I don't care much what the aesthetics look like. My 2 reference 6970's are pretty much black boxes with some red stripes on top and I think they look fine. I only wish they were a bit quieter under load. Even a custom fan curve doesn't help much once I'm in a demanding game and both cards are pegged at 100%.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
The question is, so when we will see this mysterious HD 8000 Series card? Its been over a year in a half. Nvidia has dropped both 600/700 Series in that time, and the last we heard was end of 2013 or Q1 2014.

I have a headset or 5.1 surround sound, I can't hear my Graphics card over the sounds of havoc in the battlefields :D this is probably the most pointless aspect of Graphics cards to me but whatever makes your boat float.

Add In Board. Basically refers to manufacturers ie: ASUS, MSI, Zotac, PNY, XFX, Gigabyte, Club3D, HIS, Sapphire etc, each manufacturer uses there own PCB designs and thermal cooling solutions and then you get manufacturer exclusivity ie:

Nvidia: EVGA, Galaxy, PNY, Zotac, KFA2
AMD: Club3D, Sapphire, HIS.

John Hadley

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013
The *most* important thing about any video card to me is how loud the cooler is. This is more important than performance even. I sit next to my computer all day and I don't want it to sound like a 747.

tlg

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
If you spend $400 on a GPU with stock cooling instead of spending £420-450 for a card with a good custom cooler you are just dump, sorry. High end GPU with stock coolers are for those that will buy a waterblock to fit on that card.

Nothing official yet but all the rumors are pointing to Q3 this year.

D

Deleted member 1134614

For me I don't care how loud the cooler is due to the fact that I have a big fan blowing at my back. But, I would like one which is more efficient to cool the gpu.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
I cannot comment on the reference designs being inferior or not. I've had a 7870 for a year now, non reference cooler, and even with a 25 percent overclock on GPU and memory, I don't ever see above 70 F with 60 percent fan speed. I'm all for improvements in design, but at least that's a testament to them not putting out tons of heat that need to be dissipated.

tomc100

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Well, I have a 7970 for over a year now with reference coolers and it works fine. Although, I don't play games for over 8 hours which is probably when the gpu might burn out.

Mike Honcho

Honorable
May 1, 2013
I gladly pay the premium for a quieter card with better cooling. It's a no brainer. I don't understand why they have been so stingy in that area. Maybe it's just so they can have similar numbers on paper with a lower price point, but that seems like cheating to me.

hannibal

Distinguished
8000 will most propably be a refress and 9000 serie as new, very near the end of years or early in the next year. But who knows. So far 8000 series has been oem only with old 7000 technology. So I wonder why they wuld release allso new cards in 8000 series...

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I hope it is true that the 8970 will have 6GB of ram. I was going to buy the Sapphire 6GB 7970 GHz ED but maybe I'll wait on it. I'm too poor to buy the FirePro for the direct compute and Open CL.

yhikum

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
Why not get rid of heatsinks? And sell cards bare?

Then simply sell heatsinks in all shapes and form-factors!

I personally would never use metal heatsink on GPU. My closed loop watercooler is much more efficient and quieter. And I've used the same watercooler on two cards already without problems. A good DIY project!

Status
Not open for further replies.