AMD Athlon 1.4 Vs P4 1.8

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
mp was released at 1.0 and 1.2 at the same time... mybe theyll release the 1.2 and 1.5 at the same time... mmm... imagine how nice itd be if they announced it would start with 150/300 fsb available... pc2400 ddr... to its maximum potential...

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
"For the most part, the Pentium 4 at 1.8GHz is able to remain competitive or offer greater performance than the Athlon 1.4." - andandtech

Which I take to mean are running neck and neck.

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

G

>My katmai right now 450*505 pc 100 cas 2 (cas 2 i have
>change it to 2 myself)

WOOOW, go figure... ladies and gentlemen, we have an EXPERT on this board. Not only is he able to perform such a miraculous overclock, he even managed to get into the BIOS, change a setting, and reboot !! all by himself !!!

Man... I mean, Juin,... how on earth did you find that "del" button on your keyboard.. You really, really impressed me.

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with an AMD chip

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Actually, rumor has it that AMD is pushing to 1.6 ghz...but they should scale from 1.6ghz down to around 1.2ghz is my guess. I doubt they would release ONLY at 1.5 or 1.6ghz as Pally should command a higher price across the board than TBird.

I guess time will tell..and AMD's desktop Pally release will reveal all :>

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

dhlucke

Polypheme
Never updated a driver? Let me guess, you never updated DirectX in 3 years either?

<font color=red>Yeah, I took a crap on your lawn. Whatcha gonna do about it?</font color=red>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well the latest revision of the 1.4 is reputed to reach up to 1.7 (www.athlonoc.com), i imagine that the A4 with its 20% more efficient core could easily reach 2G. all in due time of course.

with the current 1.4 scaling well against the P4 AMD isnt pushing themselves. see how long the 1.4 has been out now with no replacement?

Quote from the Hamster: "Why is it that Morons are just smart enough to understand how to breed?"

NIB64

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
It's pretty sad that we're even comparing the two anyway. There's a difference of 400 MEGAHERTZ. Think about that. What if a 500mhz Athlon was almost as fast as a 900mhz P3?

-NIB64

Someday you will find me, caught beneath a landslide
In a champagne supernova in the sky.

G

They are more or less 50:50.
but consider this, 562$ or 151$??? I dont think a very slight edge in DX8 games justifies the 411$ price diffrence, you can have 2 amd computers or one intel cpu for that price.
and for the record tha athlon creames the 1.8gig in media editing and mp3 decoding and older gamers like MTTR and UT and Serious Sam.
Whether its faster or not, u decide if its worth the extra 400 bucks...I know intel gonna make it 20 bla bla.
and BTW in SMP appz the dual 1.2 creames the dual 1.7 P4 Xeon.

"Bad c0p no doughnut"

FatBurger

Illustrious
What if a 500mhz Athlon was almost as fast as a 900mhz P3?
Or if a 50MHz Athlon was as fast as a 550MHz Pentium? To take it to the extreme :)

But it should be percentage-wise, so that would be like a 200MHz Athlon and a 300MHz Pentium. Suddenly it doesn't seem like that much of a difference.
-----------------------
Quarter pounder inside

TRENDING THREADS