AMD Athlon 5350 And AM1 Platform Review: Kabini In A Socket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished
To Toms:

What was the ambient temperature during the testing ? Surely Toms is not testing in an refrigerator ? That idle GPU and CPU temperature at 13 degrees Celsius seems about 10 degrees too low, given that they have to be necessarily above ambient conditions to make physical sense. Perhaps the sensors are not read correctly (wrong offset) ?

For the Dota2 graphs, there seems to be a mistake for the color legend. The difference in color isn't resolution, since the resolution is fixed (right hand top corner of graph at 1080), so my guess is that red/black represents min/avg FPS similar to the 2nd graph on Grid2.

nezzymighty

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Thanks for the article. I agree with your conclusion, as I would probably seek an alternative build for a a "PC-Like Device" as you put it. Seeing AM1 product costs relatively the same to an A4-4000 FM2+ confuses me, as I had originally expected (hoped) AM1 high-end combinations with a motherboard to cost around the $70 mark... If I were to make an AMD HTPC, or a typical AMD business computer, based on prices released by the e-tailers today, it would make more sense for me to build an FM2+ with A4-4000. Maybe prices will reduce in time to make this a more attractive alternative relative to an FM2+ for an HTPC or business computer.

ykki

Honorable
"Based on our results, I'd guess that AMD's AM1 platform should be able to handle less-demanding MMOs like World of Warcraft, lightweight shooters like Left 4 Dead, and a wide range of even more casual games (such as Angry Birds)."
I think that it is safe to say that it can max out angry birds at 4k :)

cleeve

Illustrious

On-die sensors are notoriously inaccurate at low temperatures. In this case that's obvious, but we can only report what the sensors tell us.

Good catch! Fixed. :)

cleeve

Illustrious

Two reasons: they're not for sale yet and we don't have reliable pricing, plus the fact that they're bundled with motherboards, so we didn't want the pre-release pricing to be confusing next to the AM1 processors.

m32

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Overpriced is this products' shadow. I can build an FM2(+) build for about the same money. Yes, it may use 20 watts more, but I get more CPU & GPU power from it. I really wanted the MB-CPU combo to be around $70 but that is almost the price of the APU.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Tomshardware! PLEASE test this platform with discrete graphics cards. I mean come on if the 5350 doesn't hold a 250X back it could be one hell of a budget builder's dream platform!

i always had a suspicion that jaguar cores might have more ipc than silvermont cores. the igpu kinds seals the deal for kabini. baytrail-d has lower power use but it's also overall slower and the boards seem to have less number of i/o ports.

iceman26

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014
i'm planning to build a download only machine, will this be a viable solution? or should i go with a netbook?

EdgeT

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
They look like great little platforms. But a whole lot of people go the AMD route for homeservers (myself included). And just like me, a lot of people think that 4 SATA ports are just not enough. If it had like 8, like a lot of AMD motherboards I've looked at, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, and I bet a lot of people would.

It's just convenience and cost efficiency, really, on the one hand, you've got 1 motherboard, CPU, tower, PSU, OS and IP adress for remote control and 8 HDDs and on the other, you've still got 8 HDDS, but 2 of everything else. Power consumption wouldn't make THAT much of a difference, since storage servers mostly idle, but the noise and size do take their toll.

iceman26

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014
nowadays when i'm thinking about building an HTPC i'm looking forward to use it with Madvr but seeing how madvr punishes my hd7850, i guess the two doesn't want to be together (HTPC+madvr). but i think this am1 system is for super light weight use. (e.g. downloading stuff, server) but when it comes to this kind of thing the first thing i'm concerned of was power usage .

EricJohn2004

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
I was curious to read this because I own a PS4. And my PS4 has 8 Jaguar cores the EXACT same as these Kabini cores. So basically, if you multiply the benchmark scores by 2x, you'll get the score my PS4 would have, round about. Except for single core benchmarks, but even in that case it looks like AMD's Jaguar does pretty good with single threaded stuff. But it's not like the PS4 will have anything single threaded most likely everything will be using a ton of threads.

I also read on another website that the 5350 scores around a 1.6 in Cinebench 11.5. So it's like .4 per core, which is about half as much as an 8350 core or 4300 core. Meaning my PS4 would score a 3.2 in Cinebench 11.5. Being that that's what an FX4300 scores, i'd say a PS4's CPU is really no slouch, especially while multithreading. Sure, if you compare it to an i7, an i7 will double it's scores and more, but being that it matches an FX4300 and A10 7850k's, I'd say that's impressive.

Of course it's only half as fast as FX4300 in single threaded tasks, but that's good enough.

Any of you impressed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS