AMD ATHLON 860K Gaming Issue

Mystic_Archie

Reputable
Dec 30, 2016
So i bought an Amd athlon X4 860 for a budget build recently and have some issues occuring while gaming Im currently using an AMD F2A88XN-WIFI motherboard which has served me pretty well even for its small size.currently some games i can play for hours straight without issues but will crash almost instantly with others. My pc will also crash on startup with 2X 8gb sticks 1600MHz I currently am lost and feel frustrated with it. Im currently planning to upgrade to an intel system but not for a while,just need some guidance on how to fix this. And thx

Specs:
Gigabyte F2A88XN-WIFI MOBO Mini ITX
CPU:AMD ATHLON X4 860K
GPU: GTX 750TI EVGA FTW 2GB ACX
RAM:1X GSKILL RIPJAWZ DDR3-1600 1.50v(would be 2X but crashes on startup and both sticks are good and work seperatly)
CPU Cooler: Cryorig M9a
1TB HD drive

Also note the cpu freezes leaving a looped noise and frozen screen of last frame hard restart needed.

Should be about it^ thx for helping if you can, all suggestions would be of great use

Solution

Too little thermal paste is a rare complaint, you only need a tiny amount. Keep watching those temps over the next few weeks :)

I'm usually the first guy to suggest a switch to intel, but the 860k isn't a bad cpu and goes well with a 750ti (it would even go well with a 1050 or 1050 ti when you upgrade).

Glad you got it sorted :)
Probably not enough to go on. Causes of crashes can be numerous.

Basic things to check: thermal margin shouldn't be negative in any circumstance. Verify game cache for those games which have issues (might even be worthwhile doing it for all games on the same hard disc). Update drivers for your PC.

To really narrow down the cause of the crashes you'd need to configure PC to produce the DMP files for analysis (by those who can read them). Event Viewer may also provide some information (but can be tricky to navigate at times). Then there are the very game specific issues which causes crashes; I believe it's best to check somewhere more familiar with it for possible issues and solutions.

Depending how far you get, you could also check to see if the RAM is fine using MemTest to check for errors.

You didn't list what is arguably the most important single part: the power supply.

Open up the Windows Event Viewer, and on the left panel open "Custom Views" and then "Administrative Events". They should be sorted by date and time by default. Scroll back until you find a "Critical" event that corresponds to a crash and give us the bug code. Windows can often suggest to you what specifically is causing the problem.

Mystic_Archie

Reputable
Dec 30, 2016
Ok so sorry for not being active on this thread I actually found out I was an idiot and hadnt applied enough thermal Paste which caused the pc to crash on cpu intense games,and would instantly crash system with 16GB ram.Everything works now thx for trying to help everyone(oh and the PSU is a 650 watt antec)

Too little thermal paste is a rare complaint, you only need a tiny amount. Keep watching those temps over the next few weeks :)

I'm usually the first guy to suggest a switch to intel, but the 860k isn't a bad cpu and goes well with a 750ti (it would even go well with a 1050 or 1050 ti when you upgrade).

Glad you got it sorted :)

Solution