AMD Athlon 880K Problem.

maxdaveli

Prominent
Jun 21, 2017
So I built this 1000$ computer so I can run league of legends smoothly. I have the AMD athlon 880k 4 cores, and RX 460 2GB as my GPU. For some reason, 60 fps feels really unsmooth, and really choppy and bad gameplay. I was wondering if anyone could help me? I have tried overclocking my CPU, and GPU and I'm convinced it's not my GPU's problem. There's something wrong with my CPU, or is it normal that this proccessor cant run games like league of legends?

Solution
Have you managed to look at the data from MSI Afterburner? It is one of the best ways to find out what could be the issue causing the dip in framerates. It's also why I keep mentioning it.

I've also mentioned previously that online games could lag due to internet connection. You don't mention whether you checked to ensure these were all working correctly.

I do assume you have performed the standard house keeping tasks of scanning for viruses and malware just to be on the safe side.

Verifying game cache (or similar) may be an option for certain issues with games (usually corrupted files). As it is, I really can't suggest much else without additional data to work with. All I know is something sounds wrong, but don't have anything...
FPS numbers don't tell the whole story for the smoothness of gameplay; frame times are more accurate for that. It's why people don't notice a film being at 24fps being a problem because of consistent frame times. What's likely to be happening is that there are certain frames which remain on screen for longer leading to the experience of an fps drop. Download something like MSI Afterburner to analyse this sort of data to see what happens when these drops happen.

To be thorough you may as well download AMD Overdrive to check on thermals for the x4 880k as well. The lower the number, the closer to overheating.

As an aside, I'm surprised by the amount you spent on the PC though. The x4 880k isn't a particularly strong performer by modern standards but does an okay job depending on expectations.

maxdaveli

Prominent
Jun 21, 2017

So How can I fix this? I have AMD overdrive, but when I overclock my CPU, I feel like it runs the game even laggier

As I had suggested, you'd need to couple the information from AMD Overdrive and cross reference with the data from MSI Afterburner (or similar) to see what is going on. We can't fix something until we can establish a cause, and a cause has not been established yet. As it is, from the current information, it sounds like inconsistent frametimes.

Overclocking can help but depends on the game. I see minor improvements in fps with my x4 760k with some games and none in others.

I think I've seen mention of ports for online games. The wrong port settings may cripple performance too. I don't play them myself so can't provide more information on that front.

At the risk of sounding repetitive, MSI Afterburner (or similar). You need to take notice of things like CPU, GPU and RAM frequencies and usages; fps, frametimes; and possibly page file usage. Temperature would also provide a reference point (even if inaccurate). This provides data in which to identify a problem.

AMD Overdrive is really only useful for monitoring thermal margins.

maxdaveli

Prominent
Jun 21, 2017

is it normal that cpu frequencies only run at like 10-20% during games?

Have you managed to look at the data from MSI Afterburner? It is one of the best ways to find out what could be the issue causing the dip in framerates. It's also why I keep mentioning it.

I've also mentioned previously that online games could lag due to internet connection. You don't mention whether you checked to ensure these were all working correctly.

I do assume you have performed the standard house keeping tasks of scanning for viruses and malware just to be on the safe side.

Verifying game cache (or similar) may be an option for certain issues with games (usually corrupted files). As it is, I really can't suggest much else without additional data to work with. All I know is something sounds wrong, but don't have anything additional which can help identify what precisely is wrong.

Solution