AMD Athlon Bus Speed Question ^^

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
"Basically, what I'm trying to give the guy the best options for HIS current situation"

And I believe you did that correctly assuming he wants to stay with his current motherboard. If it were me, on the other hand, I'd rather upgrade the motherbaord than invest more money into the older PC133 (SDR) ram. But then I prefer the RDRAM solution anyway, so I wouldn't be in his situation.

-Raystonn

-- The center of your digital world --

327goat

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2001
this is going to turn into the same argument in two different forums. I guess it all comes down to Affordablity/performance. Yes, the p4 will kill AMD in the more specific benchmarks. Yes Intel has the might to push whatever they feel fit on the consumer, and yes, it may very well be the way of the future. I've always perfered a more passive standpoint though, before jumping the bandwagon, it's got to prove it's claims first. If a year from now, when I go to upgrade again, Intel looks good, I might go that way, but by then AMD's newer stuff will also be out. What i do like though, is that Intel is now no longer alone on their pedestal. Good competetion never hurts. If nothing else, AMD will force Intel to go better, faster, and cheaper, and vice versa.

G

pretty big thing to miss IMHO .. yes I agree its not as good as FSB at 133 synchronous .. I said so in my first post
try reading instead of knee jerk reaction pls

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Spud,

As usual, your ignorance is shining through!

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If what you say is true, then why does the KT133 chipset (which doesn't support 133MHz FSB) support PC133? There would be no reason!

When I run a 100MHz FSB, my memory is still at 133. I can prove it to you, if you would like.

---------
I am the first and only one with a 16MB GeForce2 GTS graphics card! :smile:

Fltsimbuff

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2001
Not at all... The FSB is not locked, I think he was referring to the overclocking part of it...though I could say the same about Intel and their locked multipliers... A Durons Multiplier is easily unlocked....

--Fltsimbuff

Fltsimbuff

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2001
I remember seeing that some KT133 boards have the option to change the Memory Bus speed without changing the CPU FSB speed... Mine has an option of setting the memory bus at either HClock, or HClock + 33. My system hangs when I switch it to HClock+33 though :(.

Fltsimbuff

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2001
Wrong... The Double-pumped EV6 bus allows for 200MHz bandwidth, so the 133MHz memory bandwidth still appears to be lower than the FSB bandwidth. (200MHz vs. 133MHz)

Fltsimbuff

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2001
You do know that communications between the CPU and main memory go through the NorthBridge on the mobo, don't you? I am *assuming* that the bus Between the NorthBridge and the CPU runs at an Effective 200MHz, and the path between the Memory and Northbridge runs at 133MHz.... I'll have to do some reading to verify... but it does make sense.

--Fltsimbuff

Fltsimbuff

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2001
*"It's a well known fact that memory running asynchronous to the CPU and FSB has more latency than memory in synchronous systems."*

Hmmm.... from what you said earlier in this thread, you didn't even know they could run asynchronously..... And now a statement like this? Maybe some clarification is needed here, but it just seems that you would have to know that they could run asynchronously before you could consider this....

--Fltsimbuff

G

In response to your reply to me:

Yes, but AMD chips run at 200MHz FSB not 100MHz FSB. Yes it's DDR, yes it's not as fast as 'pure' 200MHz, but 100MHz DDR is certainly faster than pure 133MHz SDR, so 133MHz SDR memory is better than 100MHz SDR for an AMD system.

Additionally:

I agree, async has higher latency than sync systems, but when AMD processors were released, there was no memory in existance than could clock-sync with a 100MHz DDR bus.

You have to remember that with all the modern bells and whistles with DDR FSB, DDR memory, and V-link, the Northbridge has to do alot of translation work between various standards, i.e. different bit widths, different speeds, and DDR to SDR conversions. Converting from a 100MHz DDR bus to a 133MHz SDR bus is no-longer as big a deal as you seem to think!

The same situation is true when a P3 uses normal SDR memory rather than RAMBUS, for which it was designed. The 820MTH is a particularly good example of how <i>not</i> to implement this "standards conversion" work.

Oh, and on a similar note you do benefit if your memory bus is set higher than your FSB. This is seen particularly with 66MHz Celeron systems where the memory is often at 100MHz. DMA transfers from the PCI bus don't cut into the bandwidth the processor wants, and latency is 'soaked up' by these extra clock cycles.

~ The First Formally Rehabilitated AMD Lemming ~

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Perhaps you could read through to the end of the thread before replying to messages. I had already changed my mind about the ability of memory to run at a different speed based on the asynchronous system. ;)

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
attemp to insult you? I's say I did or you wouldn't have responded. I just get pissed when people are jerks on purpose to me or anyone else. The remark about him not knowing very much was un called for and unneccesary.

- Tempus fugit donec vestrum relictus tripudium. Autem amor praeterea magis pretium.

G

Thank you all!!!!!

Geeze

And some of you owe me an APLOLOGY =Þ

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
I apologize for indicating you were not running your memory at 133MHz. I had missed the asynchronous nature of your memory system coupled with the DDR FSB earlier.

-Raystonn

P.S. Can I get my spy plane back now please? ;)

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Fltsimbuff

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2001
Well, you must have done a lot of reading on it then, if you just learned that Asynchronous operation between the CPU and memory buses exists, and you already consider aspects of it to be old news to you ;)

--Fltsimbuff

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Oh no, I knew it existed. I didn't however see/know that his particular system used it.

-Raystonn

327goat

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2001
Raystonn

Many will argut, but not many will admit when they are wrong, I might not agree with all of your views, but you are definitely deserving of respect.

G

yea

Spudmuffin doesnt seem to understand either..

Oh well

We're all cool

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--