AMD Athlon II X4 620 Quad-Core for UNDER 100 BUCKS

ComputerNovice

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
If you ask me guys AMD has done a good job on this CPU, I mean seriously I think they have really hit the jackpot with the Athlon X4 620 Quad Core...
I mean yeah its not anywhere near as fast as the new Intel Core i5 750 but its so much cheaper that it actually makes perfect since to buy. If I was making a budget system (For example one for about 500USD) I would for sure pick this CPU. I'm interested to hear everyone's feed back about this though, it's always interesting to hear what the people on this forum think about the new CPU's after they come out.

Funny thing is from what I've seen hardly anyone has really been talking about this CPU yet so I figured I'd go ahead and make a thread about it. Anyways lets get the discussion going.

(Please understand by discussion though I don't mean "flame war" )

Solution
I have to agree with you for the most part. It seems a killer deal for $100 bucks. Though, whether or not I would pick this for a build would really depend on the user of the computer. For a gaming rig, I would still take the 550be because the benches (from what i remember) were better with the 550be (due to higher mhz) also, I believe from the anand review, the 550be OC'd better. So, gaming wise (unless a specific quad core functioning game) I would pick the quicker dual core.

However, for multitasking, small home server, maybe a HTPC which acts as a sometimes render farm, render farm in general, hell yes. Quad Core, 100 bucks? Mix that with an am2+ board (cheap!) and some ddr2 (cheap!) there you go, you would be set for a little...

Kithzaru

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I have to agree with you for the most part. It seems a killer deal for $100 bucks. Though, whether or not I would pick this for a build would really depend on the user of the computer. For a gaming rig, I would still take the 550be because the benches (from what i remember) were better with the 550be (due to higher mhz) also, I believe from the anand review, the 550be OC'd better. So, gaming wise (unless a specific quad core functioning game) I would pick the quicker dual core.

However, for multitasking, small home server, maybe a HTPC which acts as a sometimes render farm, render farm in general, hell yes. Quad Core, 100 bucks? Mix that with an am2+ board (cheap!) and some ddr2 (cheap!) there you go, you would be set for a little work station.

Solution

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Wonder though what that cheap quad could do if overclocked to say 3.2 ghz or so on air.

Found this if anyone is interested in some benches of this chip overclocked.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/athlon2_620/

This may not be a bad chip if you need a rig on budget.

ComputerNovice

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
I agree most of you have said for the most part. I really just liked the price and the fact that they are selling it for under 100 USD. Basically though if I was wanting to build a really cheap CS4 editing computer I would pick AMD Athlon II X4 620 for my CPU because it is able to do quite well in this bench right here.

20007.png

ComputerNovice

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
Check guys check this out in this graph right here LOWER is better, anyways though AMD's new 99 usd quad core kills the competition in its price range. It even manages to beat the Intel Core 2 quad Core which cost like more than twice as much LOL

20011.png

Kithzaru

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I'm really looking forward to have some reviews from normal users like us on here. Archer!!!! Let us know how it does when you get it!!

I think we also have to keep in mind that this is the first of the series. I would assume, just like with the Phenom2 series, we will get better performing chips as time goes on. (940,955,965 example).

ComputerNovice

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009

Agreed and honestly I'm just happy to see that AMD is keeping things competitive because I get scared when I think of the possibility of Intel becoming the only game in town. Because its honestly just much better for them have competition because it keeps them working hard :p

Kithzaru

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
lol, i hear ya recon. I'm tempted to upgrade to either the Athlon2x4 or the Phenom2x2 but, maybe i should just save that cash for a bulldozer...hmm.... wonder if Bulldozer is AM3...

and, 100% agree ComputerNovice. Whether you're an AMD fan or Intel fan, if you have half a brain you know both companies need each other for competition. Without that competition, prices would go up and technology progression would slow down.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
It makes it nice for those on a budget, because if you are like me, you spend 400-500 bucks for a new system, then just keep upgrading until you are ready for a new platform. With a family, better things to spend $$ on than cmputer stuff. Plus I don't like spending anymore than I have to for things if I'm not sacrificing much functionality, Call me cheap, lol.