AMD Athlon II X4 645 quad core processor upgrade

Zaylivinglive

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
I have a AMD Athlon II X4 645 quad core processor that im looking to upgrade.
i found this and saw it both had compatible AM3 sockets so i wanted to see if it could work
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009O7YORK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

specs:
WIndows 7
Processer (listed above)
6GB DDR3 RAM
1TB hard drive
NVIDA GeForce 9200 integrated graphics (keep in mind im trying to upgrade this too i posted about this on another thread but if anyone here wants to help me it would be appreciated.)
trying to upgrade card to this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IDG3PRI/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1CPWE4BUHBCWE (yes i have a open video card slot)

Thanks in andvance

huskersforever

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
Most importantly, what are you upgrading for? Gaming, Office Work, Web Browsing, Photo/Video Editing?

2. What motherboard are you using?

3. I strongly recommend keeping the current processor (it is good enough) in favor of getting the best video card in your budget. The 750 ti is good, a giant leap from where you are, but there are better cards. 750 ti is good for multipurpose use, but if you can, get a R9 280 or R9 290. The graphics card is where you should spend most of your money if you're really into gaming.*

*Depending on your card choice, you may need to upgrade your power supply.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

That's a slim line PC. The card you listed won't fit. You need a low profile gfx card for that PC. And if your PC looks like this inside, you will be limited to a single width card.
http://www.computershopper.com/var/ezwebin_site/storage/images/media/images/acer-ax3400-u2012-inside/648347-1-eng-US/acer-ax3400-u2012-inside_maxwidth.jpg

That means no good gfx card will fit and your power supply is probably too small anyway.

Zaylivinglive

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014

not even that small 750ti? not even the poibility of just leaving the side door off?

Zaylivinglive

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014

cant upgrade psu old build. that why i picked the 750 ti (not the FTW version) as it dosent need any 8 pin psu connector. also need to upgrade or get the same one new as it is dying and blue screnning on ,me

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

If the link I sent above is what your PC looks like, the PCIe x16 slot is right next to the side wall of the PC case. Leaving the side panel off won't make any difference. The 2 slot wide card would extend up from the long slot in the picture.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador

Your motherboard does not support a FX chip and your power supply is a slimline 220 Watt which are kind of expensive to upgrade if you wanted to move up for support to a better GPU. GPU's are limited to cards with half the height like GeForce GT 730 1GB,Radeon HD 6450 2GB which would be some of the fastest. For CPU's you should be able to run up to a Phenom II X4 955 which isn't a huge upgrade for the cost since you lack the ability to Overclock.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador

Minium 400 W power supply

He can get by with cards that claim a 300 watt supply.

slyu9213

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

I see I was only giving possible choices for the 750 Ti. I didn't read/check what power supply he was running.