AMD Athlon II X4 (750K) and Hyper-V?

BetaJedi

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
Hi All. I'll get straight to the point.

Does an AMD Athlon II X4 750K support Hyper-V (or virtualization to begin with)? I can't seem to get it to work, and I'm not sure if it does.

I've seen a lot of other forum threads about AMD not being able to cope with virtualization, or at least it seems that way from checking the google results.

Ignore this if you don't care why I want to know:
For background context: I'm an IT Technician apprentice learning to become a network engineer, and I want to mess about on a few virtual machines/servers for some personal research and to see if I can do it basically. My PC is quite high spec, but I'm not sure if my CPU will allow me to do it.

Cheers in advance.

Solution
Couldn't find the documentation stating your CPU supports Virtualization, but you could check it with CPU-Z, open it and look its instructions set, if it has "AMD-V" on it then it does support it, if it has it and it's not working probably the option is disabled in BIOS, look for AMD-V under advanced settings or chipset settings.
Couldn't find the documentation stating your CPU supports Virtualization, but you could check it with CPU-Z, open it and look its instructions set, if it has "AMD-V" on it then it does support it, if it has it and it's not working probably the option is disabled in BIOS, look for AMD-V under advanced settings or chipset settings.

Solution

BetaJedi

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014

For the record, I said my machine was high spec, not my processor. The rest of my PC is perfectly fine, but my processor lets me down, because afterall, I'm on apprenticeship wage (£2.75 an hour) - it's not really something I can help, but y'know.

I'll try that, too.

Quick edit to the sarcastic comment too, I thought it would be better to represent it on Tom's Hardware, because it would be the first place I would have looked too, but thank you for pointing that out anyways - I didn't notice it on CPU-World.