AMD Athlon Processors / HP Pavillion 8870

G

2 Questions:

1 - Does anyone out there own an HP Pavillion 8870 (1.2 Athlon)? If so, would you recommend it?

2 - What is the difference between different advertised Athlon Processors? I have seen some advertised as Athlon, Athlon - Thunderbird, Athlon with Enhanced Cache, Athlon with 3D-Now!,... etc... Does anyone know how different (if at all) these are from each other at comparable speeds?

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
1. HP's arent too bad of a systems, I've never heard any of the horror stories from anything they build.

2. www.amd.com
The enhanced cache is when they moved the cash from off of the die to on the die. Before they had a larger cache amount but it was half the speed. Later they reduced the cache size and made it full speed and placed it on the die.

Athlons were the first set of chips that had the cache off die and were slot A.

Thunderbirds are the chips with the full speed cache on the die and are Socket A form.

The Thunderbirds are the faster chips.

Athlon 3D now is in every AMD chip since the K6-2 series.

I think I got it right but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm not.

<i>If you take a truth and follow it blindly, it will become a Falsehood and you a Fanatic.</i>

ledzepp98

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
all thunderbirds have "enhanced cache", all athlons have "3D-now!". here's a simplification:

as long as you get a socket-a system you are fine. DON'T GET SLOT-A (unless it's basically free, it's a dead end platform).

G

Beware of the Pavillion case. I have an 8670C. It has the powersupply in front of the pci slots. It is nearly imposable to change cards even with the powersupply out because there is a metal plate that supports the pwr supply on there. Also I you need a special everything to get anything on the case unscrewed if its on the right side. Other than the case I have no complaints about HP computers.

May Fortune Favor The Foolish

lisabob2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I would not recommend any prebuilt system.
Building your own is much better.
But if you are going to buy one already built, look at Micron.
Or maybe do some research and look for one that is the most upgradeable.
Bob