AMD Athlon x4 750K RUNNING WAY TO HOT!!!

Carter fields

Reputable
Apr 19, 2014
Hello,
Not OC stock cooler.
IDLE HWID Monitor says 45-54
under prime stress test it was 77C and Max was 83C it gets at 74C under gaming load
i reapplied the cooler and no change..
Speedfan says 49C HWID monitor says 74C so does speccy
i just recently built this pc..
i really want stable gaming Preformance, been getting stuttering in bf3 probbably because of throttling.
Specs,
AMD Athlon x4 750k 3.4Ghz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 SC 2GB GDDR5
4GB DDR3 1600Mhz CorSair Vengence blue
CorSair CX 430W (GPU USES 100W MAX and CPU 65W TPD)
plz help me ! :(

Solution
Ok many times if you leave the voltage for the CPU on AUTO it will give it more voltage than what is needed. Also with a stock cooler your CPU fan should be screaming loud because of the heat.

check and see if your fan is speeding up and slowing down properly first. This is easy and should be done first thing when you have High temps.
next thing is what you have already done which is reseat the cooler with fresh thermal paste. which should not be needed because you have done it.
next start lowering the CPU voltage and stress test each time. Voltage = heat. lower the voltage by 1 step at a time testing with Intel Burn Test on standard for 5 runs. Once it errors or becomes unstable raise teh voltage by 2 steps and retest with IBT on max ram and for 20 runs. If stable test with prime95 to be sure. If not stable raise the voltage 1 step and repeat till you become stable. This will give the lowest stable voltage possible to reduce the heat.

next be sure all wires are tucked out of the way and be sure to use an exhasut fan, having intake fans help to.

Hey I offer a solution, Im having the same problem with my AMD A8.. my temps have gotten to as high as 192 C !!!!!!! WHICH IS IMPOSSIBLE... in your BIOS, is it checked to shut down system at a certain temp? Mine is set to 70C.. but even when my temps go above 70 it doesnt shut down.. THIS IS CAUSE BY BAD TEMP SESNORS, which if you are seeing no performance issues, or random shut downs, then this is most likely your problem too, seems AMD temp sensors arent built very well... If your not too scared to do so, while PC is running, touch the heatsink on your cpu, if it is COLD then there may be a problem with thermal conductivity from the heatsink not having enough force pushing onto the CPU and would need a REFIT, if it feels a LITTLE WARM then everything is fine, if it burns you,,, you have a heat problem. But like I said if you havent been expieriencing performance issues then I would say its bad temp sensors.

CptBarbossa

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
First thing you need to know about these FM2 socket cpu's is they do run hot. Your temps appear to be standard if not better than standard for this socket.

Second, make sure your case has good air flow. I am going to assume you know how to apply thermal past properly, so I wont go through that.

Third, an aftermarket cooler helps a lot. I wouldn't freak out about your temps, but if you want it to run nice and cool then I would go for an aftermarket cooler.

This is true and a aftermarket cooler will definately help your temps, but as far as Im concerned, you dont have heat problems, you have bad sensors, because if your computer did not shut down at 83C then that temperature is just impossible, try to touch the heatsink and see how hot or cold it is and let us know, as far as your cpu throttling, could be the bad temps sensors giving the MOBO a false reading causing a FALSE throttle down

If you want to know if you are throttling you can download Open HWmonitor as it will give the core speeds for each core. play the game in windowed mode with the hardware monitor up. when you think you may be throttling look at the monitor. IF it is lower than what it has been at before while playing the game and stays there you are most likely throttling.

Carter fields

Reputable
Apr 19, 2014
Hey,
Booted up dat prime 95 temp test.
Touched dat sexy heatsink.
its warm definatly hard to feel at first because of my fans blowing cool air in
but its definatly warm... as i ran my fingers down to were it got close to the cpu it didnt burn me it was just decently warm i couldent say HOT but it was warm not hot because it actully felt nice....
also the air coming out of it is like 80F tops and inside my case its pretty cool. as for my cpu
it seems to be preforming well.
I am going to test a few more games...
black ops 2 runs maxed out sometimes it will be a bit shakey in the first 30 seconds of a match but its smooth as butter..
Thanks for u guys help be picking the best answer soon.
also gonna get a hyper 212 evo in about 10 days.
because i wanted to OC it anyways to 4Ghz
Thanks.
Regards

Hey no problem man. Figured that info could be of use because I am currently going through the exact same thing, and BO2 always runs slow at 1st lol. But to hear that the heatsink is WARM is a GOOD thing, 1 more test could be to touch the Southbridge heatsink below your RAM, if it feels normal, then you have bad temp sensors... And there will be no way to monitor your REAL CPU temp with bad sensors unless they are fixed, only way to check is by touching heatsink and ALSO looking out for system instabilities like random shut downs during load, or laggy system stability. Hope all this helps, have a good one!

Solution
Open Hardware monitor will actually read my A-8 properly also. There is a warning though, This is on a laptop and does not have as many sensors as a desktop motherboard so keep this in mind for those temps.

Asus AI suite II can be a little glitchy if you keep the monitor installed. It will put popup warnings on the screen with completely wrong readings. I have found this is more common if your machine becomes stressed but have seen it at idle also. When AI suite acts up it is pretty obvious when it does as it will try to tell you your +3.3V is at 1.XX volts, your CPU is at -30°c or 134°c and so on. when it acts up it's obvious but be warned it is an issue using this Suite version. I have not had any experience with there new version which is AI suite III. Lets hope they have fixed this issue as it seems to work well otherwise .