AMD Athlon X4 750K + stock cooler temps and help?

TheLittleRedFox

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
Hey so I built myself a PC for the first time and I am pretty worried about the temps HWMonitor is showing for my AMD Athlon X4 750K processor. I ran a game (Euro Truck Simulator 2 on ultra) for about 20 minutes and in the end my highest temperature was 80 degrees Celsius. This was just a spike and temperatures were around 62-70 degrees for the most part and edging into the early 70's at some points (Idling I get between 41 and ~51). I understand this is not safe temperature wise, but I'm not sure what to do. When I built the PC I didn't remove any plastic from the bottom of the stock cooler (I don't believe I looked closely enough to check, no tutorials told me to) or put any extra thermal paste on due to expecting the cooler to have some. I have just tried to remove the cooler to have a look and I can unlatch it and twist it about, it doesn't seem willing to come off (motherboard is also bending from me pulling). So I do not know what to do at all. My Graphics card's temperature is supposedly fine at a peak of 69 degrees Celsius. I'm new to all this and am completely confused. I've read that Trinity processors don't give accurate readings?
I'll list my build here in case it helps:
AMD Athlon X4 750K
MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 motherboard
Corsair vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 (By the way, the RAM seems to run at 1333Mhz instead of 1600Mhz for some reason)
XFX HD 7870 Dual dissipation 1Ghz clock edition
Western Digital Black 1TB HDD
Corsair CX500M
BitFenix Shinobi Windowed edition
Some sort of TP-Link Wi-Fi adapter
And Windows 8

TheLittleRedFox

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014

So definitely the thermal paste then yeah?

Ah right OK. I didn't think of running the machine and warming it up a little before trying. So then should it just come off? Also, because I twisted the heatsink around a little, is it still safe to turn on?

I haven't got enough room to use a razorblade I'm afraid. It was hard enough trying to unlatch it because it was a tight squeeze for my hand (had to use the flat end of a screwdriver to help me)

If I manage to remove the heatsink, should I put on some new thermal paste? It hasn't been on long but I'm worried about the airtight seal. Would it be worth buying an aftermarket cooler as well? It's only an extra tenner on top of the price of thermal paste (and they all seem to come with it anyway)

leave the motherboard in the case.................. before you turn the machine on make sure the heatsink is again firmly attached. then turn on machine to warm up the processor....... even work with it for 5 minutes......... then shut down/undo heat sink latch and then do the twisting and pulling thing...........

. if you pull too hard and the cpu comes out still stuck to the heat sink....... then you can try slipping something between them to get them apart........... check the pins on the cpu to make sure they are not bent or missing............

TheLittleRedFox

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014

Well hopefully the CPU won't come out as well (that'll be a nightmare). But if I do this then will I need to put fresh thermal paste on? (Or am I better off getting an aftermarket cooler? Looking around the forums a few people seem to get high temps with these processors.)

If it comes out of the socket? It can go in and out. It is not soldered in. If it comes out stuck to the heatsink, it will be easier to use a razorblade or something to pry it off. Now if it comes out just from twisting that is a VERY bad thing, because you just bent every single pin.

Good for you. Well, I suggested an upgrade for him. And it was an upgrade. If you want to argue, feel free to PM me, but your idiocy has nothing to do with this thread, so please stop filling it with a pointless argument. I'm sorry if you disagree with me. I'm deleting my other post because it is not relevant to this thread.

TheLittleRedFox

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
The temps couldn't possibly be due to the CPU not getting cool enough air could it? After all, from the front fan, air has to go through some wires and past the air hungry GPU before getting in reach of the CPU.
Oh and with the twisting earlier, would that have broken any air seal? It didn't come upwards, just twisted it an odd 35 degrees or so. Please answer this question, for I still need to be able to use the PC until the end of the month (and a little extra) and plus I'm now not sure if I'm looking at the right stuff from HWMonitor (I'm looking at the package readings on the CPU).

TheLittleRedFox

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
I've turned my computer on again just to see what the temps are. As of posting HWMonitor is reading my CPU temperature (I'm looking under my CPU's name, on package on temperatures) and right now it's saying 40 degrees celsius. I've got Aida64 just to see if it's the same (Looking under computer, under sensor, under temperatures, looking at CPU) and it says 25 degrees celsius but the 4 cores are at 0 degrees. So which one should I trust more for results? And is there anywhere else I need to look at for Aida64 CPU temp readings?

Alin Prema

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
I have the same CPU on the same motherboard and Corsair XMS3 DDR3@1600MHZ. The memory is running on 1333 by default but you can put them @ 1600MHz by enabling Intel Xtreme Memory Profile in the overclocking menu in BIOS, note that this will boost your CPU@3700MHz. I'm monitoring the temps with Aida64 after i tried all the monitoring tools i could get and non of them convinced me. I saw that Aida64 is showing the temperature that BIOS does (BIOS raises the temp to 42-43 degrees because it's keeping the CPU at maximum frequency) and i kept trusting Aida64. I don't know what heatsink do you use on you CPU but i'm using the stock heatsink with Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste and Aida64 reports between 34 and 37 degrees idleing (let's say i'm just browsing the internet and the minimum processor state is set to 50% of the frequency in Windows's Balanced Power Plan, around 1850MHz because it's set @ 3700MHz) and 52-56 degrees in full load using max. temperature test in prime 95 or in gaming. HWMonitor reported about 50 degrees in idle, AMD Overdrive reported around 70 degrees, Coretemp reported 0, RealTemp doesn't support this type of CPU. The maximum temperature of this CPU is claimed to be 74 degrees so i guess as long as we keep it under 60 it will live long and nice :). Be careful when removing the heatsink because i pulled hard once and the CPU came off the socket (i had a mini heart attack), twist it gently until it becomes loose. If you have the stock heatsink as it came in the box with the original thermal paste on it and you applied it correctly, don't worry about the temperature. I changed the original thermal paste after 1 year (1 year of running it boosted @ 3700MHz) and i started monitoring the temperatures after a friend applied some thermal paste on my CPU (which i don't know what kind of paste it was...some light grey one) and it became an obsession, so try not to worry so much about it. Just put a decent thermal paste next time you change it, apply it correctly and you're safe :). Good luck and have fun on your rig! :)

extrajairo

Reputable
Mar 11, 2014
Perhaps you're running at a high voltage? I built my first computer in October using a 750k and I got pretty much exactly the same temps you're getting now, until I looked at CPU-Z while I was alt tabbed out of JC2 Multiplayer and I saw I was running at 4.0 GHz at 1.304V, which is odd considering I don't know how to overclock and I didn't expect the athlon to have a turbo boost- like capability.
... I'm a bit stupid. I should check my numbers more carefully.

Alin Prema

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

It's having turbo boost capability and it's boosted up to 4000MHz (i had 1.1 BIOS version and it was boosted at 3700MHz max.), but you can disable Turbo Core Technology from BIOS and it will run at the stock 3400MHz max.

Nikola Dragorajac

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
i had the same problem...here is the thing.. hwmonitor is not correct for that cpu believe me ~easy tune 6~ is the program that gives the correct temps.... my 750k is on 3.9Ghz and is on 45-55*C...on hw monitor it was 80-90*C and the cpu chip melts on those temperatures... i went to bios and set that my pc shuts down when it hits 80*C ...so i turned on my pc...played a few games ...and my hwmonitor told me that it was in 85*C ...so that when i new it was not correct....o and i think that easy tune is only for gigabyte mobos..