Question AMD Athlon X4 860K stuck at 64C while playing any game.

Luke45

Prominent
Dec 3, 2019
So i have the cpu athlon x4 860k, gpu radeon rx 570, mbo Asus a58m-k, ram 8gb ddr3 1600mhz, HDD toshiba dt01aca100, PSU LCpower L6550(550W). And when I start ANY game on my PC temperature stucks at 64C. I have the latest bios update and it didnt fix it. I also tried stress test and temperature breaks the temperature and goes up to 65 and then the frequency drops from 4.0 GHZ to 3.22Ghz and the temp falls down to 64C. Can someone please help. My csgo starts to lag at low settings because of that. please help. sorry for bad english. Thanks for understanding. :)

So the implication is the CPU is overheating leading to frame drops, correct?

What are you using to monitor the temperature? You should be using AMD Overdrive for that particular CPU and monitoring thermal margins, because other monitors tend to be inaccurate with temperature readings for it.

That said, what is the temperature on idle? 64 deg C sounds very low on a full load from my experience. (Over 100 for other monitors when close to thermal throttling.)

EDIT: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/amd-overdrive

How do you know it's at 64°C? You can't accurately measure exact temperatures on this platform. You SHOULD be using AMD Overdrive and monitoring thermal margin instead.

Not until Ryzen was released did AMD begin to do direct core and package temperature monitoring, like Intel. For older AMD platforms like yours, or Piledriver/Bulldozer (FX series) you need to monitor thermal margin and what you don't want to see is thermal margin ever shrink to below 10°C thermal margin. If it does, you have a possible thermal problem. If it GETS to zero degrees thermal margin, you HAVE a serious thermal problem.

Reactions: Barty1884

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
i have that motherboard and cpu

yes, it reports high temperatures but when you check, the heatsink is not warm

i blame the stupid sensor asus used on this cheap motherboard

i just used hwinfo and checked values in there, i think i used tmpin4, that is the sensor near the socket, when i ran cinebench, that sensor was the one who went up and down accordingly to cpu load

so, basically don't trust nor bios or other tools, do what i did, discover the real sensor, even in hwinfo you will see that cpu package doing very little says 75°c. but i know for sure it was not the case, system seems to be exaggerating readings by 20 or 30°c.

btw, how much are you overclocking it? i used to push it to 4.2 but vrms have no heatsink so i got worried with that, i heard people pushing it up to 4.5ghz, but surely not with that motherboard

Luke45

Prominent
Dec 3, 2019
i was using msi afterburner and it shows 64C while in game. I was using QuickCpu and it also shows a 64C. I have that problem also when the cpu is not overclocked while running the burn test. My csgo lags which are requirements so low. Amd overdrive shows me drops frequency and the temperature is shown as 5.8C

You can't directly measure temperatures, no matter WHAT utility you are using, in this way. You MUST either use AMD overdrive or Core Temp (With the "Show distance to TJmax in temperature fields" option enabled in advanced settings), or another utility that does in fact show distance to TJmax such as HWinfo. Sensor readings for core or package temps, no matter what utility, will not be accurate. It's true there are formulas you can use to arrive at the correct reading if you are willing to do some math, but it's a waste of time when there are already utilities designed specifically for doing this for you on this and other AMD platforms that require it.

This is very old news, and shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody.

Reactions: Barty1884

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
csgo lags because it is old weak cpu, csgo loves intel cpus from 5 years ago but not amd cpus from that era, so it will always work bad for that game

as i mentioned, there is no point on monitoring tools, that all will tell the same bad sensor reading, check sensors near the cpu, as i did

in the end, the solution is move to ryzen, well, that is what i did, new motherboard, a r3 2200g and 8gbs ram kit, now the old 860k is a linux server where i don't worry for gaming performance or temperature, because i disabled the overclock and left it run cool and quiet

Luke45

Prominent
Dec 3, 2019
I will just get amd 2600x and 8gb and that is it. Because of bottleneck and all. And i am a 14 year old so i will just throw this cpu in a garbage with its motherboard and that is it. Sorry for waisting your time. Thanks

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
well, your age and response matches

give it for free to a friend, sell it, it is working just fine, pcparts must not go to the garbage, at worst, to a recycle center, where they can recycle or give it to a person that will not enter in panic for a dumb sensor on a old motherboard

I will just get amd 2600x and 8gb and that is it. Because of bottleneck and all. And i am a 14 year old so i will just throw this cpu in a garbage with its motherboard and that is it. Sorry for waisting your time. Thanks
I wouldn't say you are wasting anyones time since they were just giving you information. Why would you throw it out when it still works? You could use it to learn more about computers. I'm also wondering, does it only says 64c when playing a game or if it always says 64c even when nothing is running? If it really is overheating you could just replace the CPU cooler.

Luke45

Prominent
Dec 3, 2019
I wouldn't say you are wasting anyones time since they were just giving you information. Why would you throw it out when it still works? You could use it to learn more about computers. I'm also wondering, does it only says 64c when playing a game or if it always says 64c even when nothing is running? If it really is overheating you could just replace the CPU cooler.
while running a game a temp is stuck at 64 and while idle temps are normal

Like I said, download AMD Overdrive and SEE what the thermal margin actually IS. Your temperature is NEITHER "normal" nor 64°C, assuming the way you are trying to monitor them. I can't be much clearer about this. You are not doing this properly.

What you are seeing, is NOT what you are seeing. It is wrong. It is not accurate. It is incorrect.

You NEED to download one of the utilities mentioned earlier, preferably AMD Overdrive, and use that to monitor thermal margin. You cannot accurately measure or monitor actual core or package temperatures on this AMD platform. It doesn't matter what utility you use to do it, it cannot be done that way. There is NO way to KNOW that your CPU is at 64°C. You CAN however know if you are 20°C distance to TJmax or have 20°C thermal margin remaining.