Amd Athlon XP 2400+ required power supply

Hi,
I just tried to install a motherboard, a MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR with a
AMD Athlon XP 2400+ CPU. I saw that the motherboard has an extra 4 pins
12V connector. I know that pentium 4 CPUs need this connector but I
thought that AMD CPUs do not need this extra connector. I was wondering
why is it there on an AMD motherboard, is it possible that newer Athlon
needs it? I didn't find the information on AMD's web site. Anyway the
system do not work at all, I don't hear any beeps (not even errors). So
I was thinking that maybe the CPU needs an ATX12V power supply. The
power supply currently installed in the case is an ATX 300W from 2000.
Thanks in advance.

On 15 Mar 2005 16:45:58 -0800, someone92@hotmail.com wrote:

>AMD Athlon XP 2400+ CPU. I saw that the motherboard has an extra 4 pins
>12V connector. I know that pentium 4 CPUs need this connector but I
>thought that AMD CPUs do not need this extra connector. I was wondering

Almost all current boards will have that 4pin connection.

>why is it there on an AMD motherboard, is it possible that newer Athlon
>needs it? I didn't find the information on AMD's web site. Anyway the
>system do not work at all, I don't hear any beeps (not even errors). So
>I was thinking that maybe the CPU needs an ATX12V power supply.

Quite possible, some boards will refuse to start without the
additional +12V power.

On 15 Mar 2005 16:45:58 -0800, someone92@hotmail.com wrote:

>Hi,
> I just tried to install a motherboard, a MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR with a
>AMD Athlon XP 2400+ CPU. I saw that the motherboard has an extra 4 pins
>12V connector. I know that pentium 4 CPUs need this connector but I
>thought that AMD CPUs do not need this extra connector. I was wondering
>why is it there on an AMD motherboard, is it possible that newer Athlon
>needs it? I didn't find the information on AMD's web site. Anyway the
>system do not work at all, I don't hear any beeps (not even errors). So
>I was thinking that maybe the CPU needs an ATX12V power supply. The
>power supply currently installed in the case is an ATX 300W from 2000.

The ATX12V spec was first used in P4s AFAIK but AMD and their mbrd mfrs
quickly adopted it too. Did you not get a manual with the mbrd?

--
Rgds, George Macdonald

Bitstring <1110933958.450975.117710@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, from
the wonderful person someone92@hotmail.com said
>Hi,
> I just tried to install a motherboard, a MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR with a
>AMD Athlon XP 2400+ CPU. I saw that the motherboard has an extra 4 pins
>12V connector. I know that pentium 4 CPUs need this connector but I
>thought that AMD CPUs do not need this extra connector. I was wondering
>why is it there on an AMD motherboard, is it possible that newer Athlon
>needs it? I didn't find the information on AMD's web site. Anyway the
>system do not work at all, I don't hear any beeps (not even errors). So
>I was thinking that maybe the CPU needs an ATX12V power supply. The
>power supply currently installed in the case is an ATX 300W from 2000.

1) You won't find the info at the AMD website because it depends on the
motherboard implementation, not the CPU.

2) The CPU actually wants something around 1.6 or 1.7v, at ~50+ amps.
The motherboard derives this from either +5v or +12v. These days even
most AMD motherboards have gone for +12v, since the +5v supplies on
cheap PSUs struggled with that much power (and so do the connectors,
motherboard tracks, etc. when you stick 20 or 30 amps of +5v through
them). Yes, Intel motherboards started it.

3) If the 12v connector is there, 99% of the time the board will not run
without you connect it up tot he PSU (there were a few boards, earlier
on, which had a workable fallback position, iirc).

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can
SC recommends the use of Firefox; Get smart, or get assimilated.

On 15 Mar 2005 16:45:58 -0800, someone92@hotmail.com put finger to
keyboard and composed:

>Hi,
> I just tried to install a motherboard, a MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR with a
>AMD Athlon XP 2400+ CPU. I saw that the motherboard has an extra 4 pins
>12V connector. I know that pentium 4 CPUs need this connector but I
>thought that AMD CPUs do not need this extra connector. I was wondering
>why is it there on an AMD motherboard, is it possible that newer Athlon
>needs it? I didn't find the information on AMD's web site. Anyway the
>system do not work at all, I don't hear any beeps (not even errors). So
>I was thinking that maybe the CPU needs an ATX12V power supply. The
>power supply currently installed in the case is an ATX 300W from 2000.
>Thanks in advance.

Locate the Vcore regulator (coils plus MOSFETs) near the CPU socket.
With the PC powered down, use a DMM to test for continuity between the
metal cases of the MOSFETs and the various power connectors. That
should tell you which rail is being used to power your CPU.

- Franc Zabkar

I just tried to install a motherboard, a MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR with a
AMD Athlon XP 2400+ CPU.
You need to look elsewhere on your motherboard if you want to get this
problem solved. The extra connectors on the motherboard does not
necessarily mean the board will not function if your do not have a
P4-ready power supply.

I don't want to go into too many technicalities of why your AMD
board carries the extra connectors. Manufacturers have different
versions of their boards and I would leave it at that.

If you purchased this board new and you installed the processor and
other modules by yourself, you are probably overlooking some simple
factors.

You should double check to see whether or not the connectors to the
front panel are wired properly. It could very well be that you did not
plug in the power button wire to the corresponding pins on the
motherboard. Make certain positive is connected to positive and
negative is connected to negative.

If you installed the processor yourself, you probably scratched some of
the circuitry around the processor socket thus; rendering the board
inoperable.

You should also look at the memory you installed and make sure it is of
the correct type and seated properly in the socket. I have worked on
numerous boards that simply won't start up if the memory is not of
the correct type or if it is not seated properly in the slot.

Also, one simple thing often overlooked by techs working on
motherboards that causes them to believe a brand new board / processor
is dead is the following:.

As a general rule when new motherboards are shipped from the
manufacturers, they come with the CMOS jumper set in the
"Configuration" position. If you do not change this setting to the
"Normal" position, you can blame the power supply all you want but,
your system would never start.

Since I am assuming your board / processor combo is new, I suggest you
take manual in hand and inspect the CMOS jumper setting. Set it to
Normal and you might very well be surprised when you engage the power
button on the PC.

Good luck!