AMD/ATI buyout haters should read this....

joset

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33219

I believe this is where they are heading and this is a great article.

I have no prejudice in reading the Inq. (for as bad as it can be...); however, I must agree that Charlie did a good job, this time around.

There are a few points I would like to stress out, though:

If AMD plays its cards right, and it has shown that it is quite savvy in corporate dealings of late, it can turn this into a win/win long term. The reason for that is this deal has nothing to do with GPUs or chipsets at all, it is about technology and engineers. Think long term.

Such companies might have their "skunk works" departments to have engineers thinking about long-term technologies (>5 years ahead); the market 'thinks' GPUs & chipsets, asap.

That brings us back to Nvidia, and why I think it is not a death-blow for Jen Hsen's company. If AMD is smart, it can placate Nvidia by ceding markets to it, and keeping the platform open. We think it will. AMD has never been one to shut out partners as a blatant money grab like Intel. It sees things long term, and if you look at what it is doing with the Torrenza platform, you can see it has no intention to close the market.

First off, I don't think AMD wouldn't want to shut nVidia out, for charity's sake; AMD still needs nVidia; also, I don't think nVidia will stay happy being second to the 'merger'; I'd bet on a closer cooperation with Intel, on the mid-to-high-end side of visual effects; finally, if GPUs/PPUs/you-name-it are going to be something completely different (in the long-term), it might as well happen that nVidia will have a strong role to play, in the CPU arena... (just rumours)

Cheers!