AMD + ATi & Intel + nVidia

Psychoteddy

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Hey y'all,

Just had a random thought. I've always heard people talking about pairing GPUs with the appropriate CPU. However, what I don't quite grasp is why everyone says that AMD CPUs pair best with ATi GPUs, and Intel pairs with nVidia. Can someone explain this reasoning to me? It would seem to me that the best performing CPU and the best performing GPU for one's budget would be the best option. No?

BOUNCY!!! :bounce:

Solution
As gOOfysmiley stated, SLi and Crossfire are best on their respective chipset boards.
If planning to SLi, go Intel. Xfire with AMD. This will avoid multi-GPU issues.
Single cards= no issues.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
amd/ati cards work fine with intel chips, and amd cpu's pair great with nvidia gpu's

thats an old myth that either gpu works ebtter with the other cpu

nwo where it does play in is most newer amd chipsets only support crossfire so if you want to do dual cards then you would have to go ati/amd in amd boards.

however there are still intel boards that support both crossfire and sli so you cna do dual cards in intel with ati/amd or nvidia its your choice

Psychoteddy

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
1.) Intel with nVidia
2.) AMD with nVidia
3.) AMD with ATi
4.) Intel with ATi

listings in MY order of preference.
all pairings will work.

I'm not at all criticizing you for your preference, but I'm just curious as to why you prefer it this way and not based solely on component's individual performance?

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
As gOOfysmiley stated, SLi and Crossfire are best on their respective chipset boards.
If planning to SLi, go Intel. Xfire with AMD. This will avoid multi-GPU issues.
Single cards= no issues.

Solution

Psychoteddy

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010

I had considered it but I felt that your answer was more concise, if that makes any sense. :p

You guys both answered my question well though. :) Thank you!

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
jockey i don't care abotu best answers and maybe we'll get you a badge! (some people liek them i don't knwo why )

and you did answer more clearly, im bad at typing so i vote you as well for expanding and translating g00fysmiley-english :D

There is no reasoning behind it. The chipsets that are used on AMD-based SLI boards are nVidia's own nForce chipsets. This means you saw someone who knows nothing about the subject talking out of the wrong end of their digestive tract. Any more questions? :sol:

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

True but, IMHO, those boards are few, not in the "mainstream". Bottom line, boards tend to be Xfire or SLi specific.

I don't know what you're saying but on the AMD side, of course they are. Until the Intel X58 and P55 chipsets, the only way to get an SLI board was to have an nForce chipset. That is still true on the AMD side and always was. The nForce chipsets do not support Crossfire. I really don't understand what it is you're trying to say. As far as mainstream is concerned, all nForce chipsets that ended in "i" were for Intel and all nForce chipsets that ended in "a" were for AMD. Those boards were mainstream, they're just not common anymore because nVidia stopped producing the nForce line. Having said that, the nForce 980a chipset is the nForce chipset for AM3 and because AMD doesn't use 1,001 incompatible sockets like Intel does, that means that the 980a will still be viable for some time to come. To restate, ONLY the X58 and P55 chipsets by Intel support both CrossfireX and SLI, both of which are mainstream BTW. Otherwise it's one or the other. :sol:

TRENDING THREADS