AMD/ATI New cards rumours

Just a quick one.
I have seen reports(but only on forums) that the new cards soon to be released 4750 and 4770 will be followed within a couple of months with a 4790 card to replace the 4870. It was suggested that this would include a voltage increase from 1.25 to 1.30 to allow for higher clocks.
Anyone have anything more concrete on this ? Im looking at a 4770 a an upgrade to my 3850 but would wait for a card that would give closer to 4870 performance at a lower power usage.

Mactronix

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
So far, from everything I've read, it appears the HD 4770 will be just under the HD 4850. It's also on the 40nm process, so it may (or may not) overclock like a beast.

I believe it debuts officially on May 4th, so mostly... just wait (painfully).

Yes thats my understanding of it also. However i have seen a few posts in other forums when browsing for info that there will be a 4790.
If this is true and also on a 40nm process then its reasonable to expect it to be 4870 type performance while drawing 4850 power.
If this is so then for me that would be the better option than the 4770. Its the same old game again i guess something else better may be around the corner but then you can wait forever.

Mactronix

rags_20

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
ATI has just introduced the xx90 lineup. That doesn't necessarily mean there will be a 4690 and a 4790 although it is possible. I can't imagine the 4870 getting 'replaced'. Its one of ATI's best sellers. Just wait and see.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007

I would. Both of these companies are dead-set on flooding the market to no end with pointless products. Competition is so heated right now for the first time in 3 years, both companies are just trying to confuse the consumer by using all these misleading numbers in their product names, revisions and what not. Its a cluster fux.

On a unrelated note, CPUZ just REFUSES to Accept my validation. Not only that but it reads my memory @ 0mhz. What a POS.

As we all know, ATI and nVidia dont wait for a arch change when a process change is available, just like cpus. It just so happens, the gpu segment goes faster in their process changes, and have surpassed cpus with the coming 740 series. Thats an advantage for consumers, as Ape pointed out, theyre usually requiring less power for same perf, and allow for higher clocks etc, plus, in the end, theyre cheaper to make, again, what we will see in the 740. I see nothing to complain about, as this benefits us, the consumer

So the card makes sense but thats not to say they will make it anytime soon, guess im going to have to go with the 4770 unless i hear anything concrete before mid may.
I know the card is meant to be out on the 4th but i always wait for reviews first. Im looking for decent performance on a 1400X900 screen and a 4870 would be good but im not replacing my PSU and thats only good for a card requiring one 6 pinn, which is why im trying to find out if there is better performance due at my power point, and price point.

Thanks guys

Mactronix

yonef

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
Most certainly, when ATI have enough production power on 40nm they will try to move their parts on it. Its a LOT cheaper to produce on 40nm (about 2x cheaper compared to 55nm)

TRENDING THREADS