AMD Attacking Cloud Gaming with Radeon Sky

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]mikenygmail[/nom]I'm glad out of my very informative posts, you pickup on a valid grammar correction.He was trying to correct someone else, so the least he can do is use "you're" properly.?[/citation]
"Treat others as you wish to be treated." The difference between our post's, is that mine contributed and informed without demeaning anyone. Your post on the other hand was a childish personal attack.

I woo old bee hippy to apple pie correct gram her AZ soon AZ you apple pie the gold done rule.

Don't hate because you were caught trolling.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
[citation]wireless controller tech has come a long way since the 90s. latency on modern controllers is way too small to affect gameplay or to be noticed.[/citation]

Well, it introduces *some* latency versus a wired connection---and plus you are adding another level of wirelessness in the connection to your router to the internet. It may not be a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, but it seems to be near impossible to code a game with a control scheme geared for precision as say, an all-wired system.

But whatever...

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Late 19th century:"I want a faster horse. Not a damn horseless carriage you numbnut!"On serious note, the only application I see for cloud gaming are for smartphones and tablets.The question is, WILL the ISPs be ready for it? Considering the fact that a "true" broadband connection is unheard of in many areas in the US (Dial-up or satellite), and other areas have to put up with $9001 for a connection that MIGHT peak at 100 MB/s.[/citation]I'm going to assume you meant 100 Mb/s. Regardless, latency is a bigger issue than bandwidth. If you can stream high-quality HD video, you can stream a game from the cloud.

Anyway, lots of people play games online and they do a LOT of stuff server side that requires communication to or from your box and thus rely on a reasonably low-latency net connection. Cloud-based gaming isn't THAT much worse in theory. So there might be certain types of games that are very playable with a decent connection. Maybe not FPS, but MMOs and strategy games, for certain.

Most importantly I don't think all the companies behind cloud gaming are completely stupid. Maybe... just maybe.... some of these engineers actually know what they're doing? Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT really a proponent of cloud gaming. I'd rather the local hardware did the work. But before the armchair condemnations begin, let's see what they can cook up.

More than likely we can always condemn them for high cost or inadequate servers later.

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]You're not cool.[/citation]

Thank you for not being too dumb to type you're properly.
Your effort is appreciated and may everyone learn these two important lessons well.

Don't eat Grandma!
'Let's eat Grandma!' or, 'Let's eat, Grandma!' Punctuation saves lives.

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]"Treat others as you wish to be treated." The difference between our post's[/citation]

Once again, fail.
I actually do treat others as I wish to be treated, but I have a very low tolerance for stupidity.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]mikenygmail[/nom]Once again, fail.I actually do treat others as I wish to be treated, but I have a very low tolerance for stupidity.[/citation]Stupid : Adjective
foolish; senseless; inane; pointless; annoying or irritating; troublesome

The point of my original post was to educate people about computer hardware on a website devoted to computer hardware. What is the point of correcting another person's grammar if they are not on website dedicated to proper English? It's to be "annoying or irritating; troublesome." The comments you made in this thread have all met the definition of stupid.

It makes perfect sense now as you are following the golden rule. By your own accord, you can not tolerate yourself.

Feel free to correct my spelling, punctuation and grammar, it won't make your penis any bigger.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
The real reason why those companies literally force (kind if the same way they force social medias) cloud gaming (or any other form), when there really isn't any serious demand for it is because there is a greater plan for it in the future. This needs to be done before introducing the brain chips to connect everyone to the cloud. Think outside the box, this may (isn't even a may in my mind) very well be THE reason why this is pushed on people this way.

Centralized social media, Cloud "anything" BUT gaming could be speculated...but Gaming? There's almost no reason for cloud gaming but this. Oh yeah, wireless devices, maybe, but wireless devices is connected to the same theory. Wireless brain chips. Why would anyone NEED great games graphics on a portable to the point he needs to be connection to a cloud with his wireless devices permanently? There is little reasons for portable gaming in the first place really. Sure it exist, CAN be useful at time, but people need to put their heads out of their butt. We're already spending so much time on virtual stuff at home, that when going out, people should stop being sticked to their portable junks...

Call me crazy, but let,s see what's the future in the next 10 years or so. Thinking outside the box can sometime be frightening. I'll put a bullet in my head before a chip that's for sure...

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]Note to writer: You do realise that "attacking" suggests aggression towards something?Not investing in, helping, etc.Man, the US needs to stop going to war, attacking is somehow percieved as being good for the attacked, now![/citation]
Might be a location thing cause here if you attack a chore it means that you are going at it with intense focus to get it done. I have heard that phrase my entire life, "After dinner I am gonna attack that paperwork I brought home from the office." I'm positive you have phrases where you are from that would cause the same type of thoughts you just had about this one.

InvalidError

Titan
With the PS4/Vita, PC/Project Shield, Wii U and its remote, etc., it seems there is a rather strong push to have a low-power wireless terminal streaming games from a higher-powered PC/console instead of putting all the processing power on battery.

Centralizing home computing makes sense to me... put all the processing power in a few PCs/blade at a convenient location somewhere in your home and access that using smartphone/tablet/smart-TV/etc.

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Stupid : Adjectivefoolish; senseless; inane; pointless; annoying or irritating; troublesome[/citation]

Exactly - your original post. ;)

So you've also got "size" issues to boot? Size 13 shoes here... and extremely happy about it. :) Thanks for the reminder! :)

You're upset because the truth hurts. At least you're not making any more of those ridiculous mistakes. By the way, if you're going to call someone stupid, try doing it without first making yourself look stupid.

[citation][nom]blppt[/nom]I still dont understand how people expect cloud gaming to take over---with even a GREAT internet connection, latencies vs a local computer rendering the game-should be terrible. I often wonder how PS3/Xbox owners play a FPS with a wireless controller and a wireless internet connection at the same time---this trend is taking latency to a whole other level entirely.[/citation]

[citation][nom]blppt[/nom]Well, it introduces *some* latency versus a wired connection---and plus you are adding another level of wirelessness in the connection to your router to the internet. It may not be a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, but it seems to be near impossible to code a game with a control scheme geared for precision as say, an all-wired system.But whatever...[/citation]

I don't think it'd matter for console gamers because their input method with their controllers is already inherently so much worse than a mouse and keyboard that the wireless technologies is probably inconsequential. I've played some console FPS games even recently with wired controllers and an Ethernet connection for internet and everyone's reaction times seem far worse than on a computer, regardless of their skill level.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]mikenygmail[/nom]Exactly - your original post. So you've also got "size" issues to boot? Size 13 shoes here... and extremely happy about it. Thanks for the reminder! You're upset because the truth hurts. At least you're not making any more of those ridiculous mistakes. By the way, if you're going to call someone stupid, try doing it without first making yourself look stupid.[/citation]

So my original post, which many people found informative, is now "stupid" (see above for definition) while your post correcting a grammatical error was brilliant and deserving of an award in your eye's.

I suppose Bill gates is stupid because he's a college drop out, and Stephen Hawking is stupid because he can't speak English. What it must be like to live in the world you live in.

If you spend your day's trolling the internet while looking for spelling and grammar corrections to shove in people's faces, you need a girlfriend, a hobby, a job, or professional help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS