News AMD B550 Chipset Specs Detailed

Giroro

Splendid
What does a x570 chip cost, and how does that compare to B550 and X470?

I still find it hard to believe the cost of the chipset is the sole cause of the hike in motherboard prices, in some cases by over $100.

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
What does a x570 chip cost, and how does that compare to B550 and X470?

I still find it hard to believe the cost of the chipset is the sole cause of the hike in motherboard prices, in some cases by over $100.

It's not. I believe the main reasons are the much beefier power delivery, and the better traces for both PCIe 4 (potentially with retimers) and faster supported memory. These then require more PCB layers and more engineering.

Also, since Ryzen is moving up in the world - starting to rival Intel's performance - the motherboard OEMs will feel they don't have to sell with cost or cost/perf only, and may have taken the opportunity to increase their margins.

hannibal

Distinguished
Yep. We now have now six layer motherboard and we used to have 4 layers in previous generation, so the 570 motherboard Are much more complicated and so more expensive to produce. Main reason Are those Pci4 lines and higher memory speeds that requires better current regulation and less errors. the chipset itself is not much more expensive in itself.

Reactions: DMAN999

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
It's not. I believe the main reasons are the much beefier power delivery, and the better traces for both PCIe 4 (potentially with retimers) and faster supported memory. These then require more PCB layers and more engineering.

Also, since Ryzen is moving up in the world - starting to rival Intel's performance - the motherboard OEMs will feel they don't have to sell with cost or cost/perf only, and may have taken the opportunity to increase their margins.
Yep. We now have now six layer motherboard and we used to have 4 layers in previous generation, so the 570 motherboard Are much more complicated and so more expensive to produce. Main reason Are those Pci4 lines and higher memory speeds that requires better current regulation and less errors. the chipset itself is not much more expensive in itself.
Just to add to the discussion: I recently discovered that the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite and lower have 4 layers. It is more expensive than X470s even though the number of layers is probably the same.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Curious to see how the PCIe4 plays a role in all of this.
The 16 lanes for the GPU are on the CPU rather than the chipset, so we could still well see gen4 support for GPUs coming (even if nobody has a use for it yet), while PCIe3 is still more than fast enough of a back-bone for SATA, USB, M.2 etc.

TRENDING THREADS