[SOLVED] AMD B550 Chipset update, now intermittent keyboard issues

Nov 19, 2020
Hello All,

I'm a bit of a n00b on new computer builds. It's gone pretty good, but I have a couple concerns (see below), but the first concern is the one I'm more concerned about... with concerns on top. hehe.

Here's the build:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M AORUS PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda Pro 10 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: *MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB MECH OC Video Card (technically not true - it was DOA and am using my old AMD R9 200)
Case: Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 550 Ga, 80 Plus Gold 550W
BIOS version/date: American Megatrends: F1 5/19/2020

Concern#1 - Intermittent Keyboard issues
I've been told to make sure all your drivers and the such are up to date and so I run the amd_chipset_software_2.10.13.408 after confirming it's for 550 chipsets. Before this installation my wireless keyboard had no issues. I update and I start having two issues - 1) when I type, it will act as if I'm holding down a key - like f vs fffffffffffffffffffffffffff. 2) Then it also will not respond at all. This is incredibly fun typing passwords into linux boxes.

I've tried these troubleshooting steps and workarounds:
  1. started using a wired keyboard - issue still persists, but I did notice a slight decrease in occurrences
  2. I adjusted my start>keyboard settings for the repeat delay and repeat rate... at first I thought there was improvement, but it persisted past this work around. I currently have them back to default and don't really see much of a difference.
  3. downloaded keyboard driver and said it was already up to date
Thoughts - how can I roll this back or prove that's the right chipset installation?

Concern#2 - Loud CPU/sometimes crashes/not sure how to read bug/crash report - required to get an app to do so?
Way less of a concern, but since first installation I've had some issues:
  1. The fan is LOUD... like I feel like I might be a server room. This is a common complaint I hear and I hear a lot of mixed messages about it. I hear from some people I just need to go change my bios fan settings (I put it on silent mode - small change, if any). I confirmed CPU chills at the 40-60 C range, so no it's not running hot/needs heavy fan all the time. I did read something about rush to idle and how maybe the con to this CPU that I didn't realize before purchasing, is that it's simply one that demands a lot of fan speed all the time. I was half expecting that my old computer was loud because it was under performing and often pushed to the max. My work computer is much quieter.
  2. A couple crashes (really I was downloading like 200GB of steam games while transferring 2TB of media) - I didn't seem to have evidence of heat being the issue (my first thought with the loud fans), brought me to do a burn in test with PassMark's burnin- passed with flying colors. This hasn't been a serious concern as it only has done it twice and possibly correlates with it going to sleep as since I've changed that setting to not go to sleep, I haven't had the issue.
Thanks all for taking the time to take a gander at me problems.

Last edited:
Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your PSU? What BIOS version were you on prior to the update? What BIOS version are you on at the moment? Perhaps see if you can power down the system, disconnect from the wall and remove the CMOS battery for at least 15 minutes.

What version of the OS are you on, assuming you're on Windows 10? Keyboard's make and model?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your PSU? What BIOS version were you on prior to the update? What BIOS version are you on at the moment? Perhaps see if you can power down the system, disconnect from the wall and remove the CMOS battery for at least 15 minutes.

What version of the OS are you on, assuming you're on Windows 10? Keyboard's make and model?

Solution
Nov 19, 2020
I did have to remove the CMOS battery to get my graphics card recognized. I'll try that again tonight to see if that helps my keyboard. Interestingly enough today I have had zero issues with my keyboard, but as mentioned it is an intermittent issue.

I updated OP with BIOS and PSU and OS info. First time I'm looking for BIOS version to be honest, so I just grabbed that from the SysInfo. Lemme know if you meant something else.

Thanks for the warm welcome and hopefully it's just a CMOS thing? First time in my life of troubleshooting that the CMOS is a recurring theme. Seems to be a common issue with new builds?

Nov 19, 2020
hmmm - odd. I didn't really have any issues after leaving the system on for like 24 hours. Nothing changed other than that. So I reset the repeat delay and repeat rate settings back to full blast - no issue. Just in case, I reset my CMOS battery and loaded factory defaults, except set my fan back to silent mode. Rebooted and still no issue. Upon booting was the worst... I'd have to type my password like 10x because it would have that issue really bad at first boot. Not anymore.

It's your tech aura, Lutfij, that solved this issue it appears... hehe.

I'll update again if issue comes back. It's odd, it was really bothering me for like 5 days. Reboots between. I even changed direct motherboard vs case usb and had same results... but all of a sudden it's gone... dunno.