News AMD B550 Motherboards Spotted Running Zen and Zen+ CPUs

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
We’re not sure why you would bother updating to a new motherboard to use an old processor, but it’s nice to know that you could, at least theoretically.
You bought a cheap A320 board with a 2200G, and want to upgrade in steps: get a good B550 board, and later get a 4th gen Ryzen when it launches (or you get the money).

Or your old B350 board died, and you want to get a newer one for future support, but you have a Ryzen 1700.

Not everone buys both together.

InvalidError

Titan
You bought a cheap A320 board with a 2200G, and want to upgrade in steps: get a good B550 board, and later get a 4th gen Ryzen when it launches (or you get the money).
I would strongly advise against that since it is highly likely that board prices will drop significantly over the next several months. Set the money aside and buy together when you are actually ready. Buying later also brings the benefit of more in-depth board reviews and possibly a few more models to cover feature gaps as board manufacturers see them arise from customer feedback.

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
We’re not sure why you would bother updating to a new motherboard to use an old processor

I feel being singled out here. Heh, my Ryzen 3 1200 almost tasted three different motherboards, all because aesthetic reasons.
Don't do that kids, stay in school.