amd back to intel

G

ok, i have an asus a7v and it's fairly stable. but it's a big headache when it's not. i'm just about to give up and get a cusl2-c and some old pentium 3. don't get me wrong. i love amd, but partnering up with only via was such a bad idea. if they had made a chipset that was as stable as intel's, i really believe they could've gained so much more market share. anyway, anybody here have another idea?

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Can I have your A7V and the cpu?
I think we could work out a reasonable price.

-Gimme oysters and beer for dinner everyday of the year and I'll feel fine.

rbertino

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
I did the same exact thing. After getting tired of updating things and tweaking the BIOS to get my A7V to work with some stability, I finally just went out and bought a CUSL2-C with a Pentium III. I installed Windows on it and it's working great and I haven't had to mess with it yet. No lockups either. And this is for two weeks straight...

Right now I've decided to wait until Micron comes out with their chipset for Socket A before I try AMD again...

G

I've been bitching on this forum about my a7v for a long time. I got mine back in October. In December I put on bios 1005a and Build 33 of the Promise drivers. My board's been stable ever since. I can't complain about it any more. It works great. It's a shame your board's giving you problems.

G

i've tried every bios update except the modified, and the a7v133 bioses. i know a lot about what's going on with the a7v, except the invalid boot disk thing...i was never able to see it with any bios and virus detection off. anyway, being in college takes money out of my pocket so i can't upgrade. i remember when mobo's used to be around $120-$130 for asus or abit. now the new ones are already hitting $170. right now i'd settle for a cusl2-c w/ 500mhz p3 over my athlon ghz w/ a7v.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Tha's what I did. I can play around with hardware all I want and it stays stable-I can switch cards and peripherals, add and remove software, everything remains stable. I can overclock my system until it looks in windows and when I reboot at more reasonable speeds everything is OK. It's amazing. I can't beleive I spent so much time maintaining my old system.

Suicide is painless...........

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No, no, no, no!
Send me both boards, I'm sure they would love to come and live with me.

-Gimme oysters and beer for dinner everyday of the year and I'll feel fine.