AMD becoming Intel?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
A couple points:

No company is 'turning' into another. The proverbial 'ball' was in in Intel's court and they've made (will make, technically) their play. Since these things take a long time, we wont see a proper response from AMD for a year, if not more. Despite what you might think, architecture changes take a long, long time to implement. Intel hasn't been sitting idly on their asses, ever, as the Conroe proves(will prove, IMO). Neither has AMD as the introduction of the K8 proved.

But a company has to do something in between major architecture changes, and changing chipsets/whatever is a good idea in terms of the bottom line.

Which brings me to my second point. Someone mentioned AMD being 'greedy'. Bullscheise. Why shouldn't a company charge a premium for a premium product? That only makes sense, no? Here I am, with the top performing CPU ever...and I'll sell it for chump-change simply to stroke the e-penises of fanboys everywhere. They are not there to help you build a good budget PC, they're there to make money.

I predict a very substantial price cut for AMD products when they stop being the leader.

EXtreme-Gamer

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Everything you said is wrong about AMD because they are not just changing sockets they are making secretly a whole new architecture

Because AMD was always the one make new advanced in architecture proccessesor asa you alreay said they are just not showing it off yet like intel did for marketing purposes

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
Secretly? Of course they're designing a new architecture, and they've been doing it since the release of the K8, and nothing secret about it! A tech company that stops innovating is a tech company that dies. Quickly and spectacularly.

EXtreme-Gamer

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
First I know that something is going on with AMD cause I read it somewhere and as you all know AM2 is going to be launched very soon In june this is something more than just a die shrink it will have some new advancements some new technologies and by the word WHOLE NEW ARCHITECTURE I mean some older
technologies are now perfectized and then put in the new proccessors so you missunderstanted me before so sorry for not explaining what I meant as for the second paragraph you wrote you are right man but I meant new technologies not before 2003 and everything you noted was right sorry but I just didnt had a lot of time to make that post before (I was leaving for school)
and I remember that I read somewhere for AMD's new architecture that was going to be released with conroe to counter it