AMD, BlueStacks Team Up for Android Apps on x86

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
For hell's sake... why would anyone need those "apps" on a full desktop OS?! That's exactly what I hate about Windows 8 - for some reason, everyone tends to think you need a ton of crApps to get any work done, while in fact all you need is an Internet browser.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]For hell's sake... why would anyone need those "apps" on a full desktop OS?! That's exactly what I hate about Windows 8 - for some reason, everyone tends to think you need a ton of crApps to get any work done, while in fact all you need is an Internet browser.[/citation]
Using HTML based apps also largely solves platform compatibility. The only compatibility issue is what the various browsers support. No need for recompiling or emulating.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008

Because they might be using an Intel IGP. Not sure why AMD would want to bring this forward considering all their IGPs are capable of much more.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]Because they might be using an Intel IGP. Not sure why AMD would want to bring this forward considering all their IGPs are capable of much more.[/citation]

WHAAAAAAAAT?! What the hell do IGPs have to do with this? The problem HERE is developers pushing tablet mentality on the desktop: instead of big, near-omnipotent programs or browser-based interaction, we get a TON of useless "apps" which all do one or two things only.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I think AMD are looking towards this being a selling point for higher performance tablets like the MSI WindPad series than, say, Llano systems. Still, Google can't complain - it extends their coverage.

I had a thought about a similar program for the iOS App Store, but then realised that we're more likely to see U2 go bankrupt.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
It makes sense as we will likely see Llano tablets next year. Also Apps are a growing market and eventually some people will want to use Apps even on notebooks/ laptops. Actually people would buy them right now.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]For hell's sake... why would anyone need those "apps" on a full desktop OS?! That's exactly what I hate about Windows 8 - for some reason, everyone tends to think you need a ton of crApps to get any work done, while in fact all you need is an Internet browser.[/citation]

Maybe it's for x86 tablets?
A x86 tablet is a useless thing for the most part, because there are no touchscreen-designed apps for it.
Being able to use Android apps would turn a x86 tablet into a proper tablet while still being able to run all the productivity software written for x86 Windows.

Doesn't solve the price/battery life problem of x86 tablets though.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
i don't like the word apps for desktop/laptops anyway. it makes me think of a small (or mini) program. "apps" suits a mobile/tablet, but definitely not the real things.

G

For hell's sake... why would anyone need those "apps" on a full desktop OS?! That's exactly what I hate about Windows 8 - for some reason, everyone tends to think you need a ton of crApps to get any work done, while in fact all you need is an Internet browser.

perhaps you dont need angrybirds or that fart app, but for some people having a calendar or being able to easily merge contacts between the 2 is beyond essential, and having the same "app" manage it means you dont have to worry about conflicting issues or buying the same thing twice, or having to learn how to use 2 different "apps" for the same thing.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
perhaps you dont need angrybirds or that fart app, but for some people having a calendar or being able to easily merge contacts between the 2 is beyond essential, and having the same "app" manage it means you dont have to worry about conflicting issues or buying the same thing twice, or having to learn how to use 2 different "apps" for the same thing.

It's ALL inside your browser, Google provides all these services. By the way... calendar is INBUILT into any OS. You don't need an "app" for that.

lathe26

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
This is move by AMD to popularize x86 Android. 99.9% of Android are ARM.

Having played with BlueStacks i've found that Android apps that are pure Java/Dalvik work fine. However, Android apps that include a native ARM library won't install. This move by AMD will encourage developers to include an x86 native library as well.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
would be a interesting way to jump onto the android bandwagon. I can see several interesting approaches that can spawn from this.

If AMD was thinking of picking up some ARM licence and wanted to pump out products like Nvidia, this might be a way for them to perfect the graphic portion, and to get a better understanding about the scope of development needed to cross over.

They might not want to cross over, but instead want to licence out the graphic architecture to be paired up with ARM cores by a third party? I remember seeing this on a slide a while back, and proving at least in part that AMD can make a compatible video card might be another approach.

Last idea... they just want to make a really cheap product, that has the capability to deliver a rich environment... I have no idea how this would work... but its not a stretch. they are making a nice package for the mobile market with there APU, and I can see people coding for 3D acceleration more in the developing Droid market, then the already matured Desktop/Laptop world. In which case, I could see this as there strategy to compete against Intell's superior CPU architecture.

If this is a sing that AMD might move away from x86 for at least a small portion of there production line, I would be a happy camper.If there sharing the same CPU architecture, but go into a war on the graphic side, we can only benefit especially since its not only green and red in this frontier.

Status
Not open for further replies.