AMD Bristol Ridge 35W A-Series APUs Finally Hit Store Shelves

Status
Not open for further replies.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'd really love to see a performance test of these, as well as the non-E versions, to other entry-level CPUs, and how they stack up to the existing processors on the hierarchy chart.

A comparison of how the graphics subsystem performs relative to the Intel graphics on Kaby Lake as well might be interesting.

InvalidError

Titan

Nothing too exciting there, Bristol is still based on the Excavator architecture and 28nm process, which means it will have passable CPU performance and rank near the bottom of the CPU charts.

Raven Ridge (Ryzen-Vega) is what I'd save the excitement for. Should be a substantial step forward for APUs.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well, I'd definitely like to see more of the lower-end Ryzen chips on the hierarchy chart as well. However, I thought that the new A-8/10/12 CPUs would be equal to or better than the already existing ones, and the already existing ones are on the 4th tier (on par with 1st gen i5 and i7).

But you're comparing apples to oranges. The high end stuff will always be on the charts, but entry level also has a place. Plus, I'd like to see, how, say, the APU graphics performance holds up to the current entry level cards... and again, to the Intel HD stuff.

Agreed on Ryzen-Vega, though. That is definitely something I'd also love to see fill in. But, we've got to wait for those to be available.

Each has its own market segment, I suppose.

Whats odd is Raven Ridge has been slated for end of the year. The Bristol Ridge release seems pointless, not sure what AMD is thinking here.

artk2219

Distinguished
I think Bristol Ridge would make a fine entry level chip,or mainstream chip, and allow for a cheap way to get into AM4, especially since the athlon x4 950 is only 60 dollars. You could build up decent rig piece by piece and sell off or give away your old pieces when done. Start off by spending more on a decent motherboard and video card, then upgrade the chip later as funds allow, or spend 10 more and get a gpu thrown in for the a8 9600. Or use them for a NAS, HTPC, firewall, tiny vhost, whatever. Now if only there were some cheap M-ITX boards to go with them.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007671%2050001028%20600438200%20601295134%20601294614%208000&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&order=PRICE&page=1

artk2219

Distinguished

Maybe clear out as much as they can from whats left in their OEM channel, so they dont have dead stock sitting around when Raven Ridge hits and repeat the mistakes of Llano?

kalmquist

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
JamesSneed said: "The Bristol Ridge release seems pointless, not sure what AMD is thinking here."

Probably the issues are that (1) Raven Ridge will initially debut as mobile only, and won't be available for the desktop until sometime next year, and (2) when Raven Ridge first appears for the desktop, AMD will offer 4 core versions that will be more expensive than any of the Bristol Ridge chips.

tridon

Honorable
May 2, 2012
I do think the 9500E has two less GPU cores than the 9500. 256 vs. 384 stream processors. As far as I know, it's the only low power version that has a change in the configuration.

Your points makes since to me, I didn't realize the desktop parts were a mid 2018 release.

I popped a 65w A12-9800 BR APU in a GB GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI ITX and it's got some "range" ... AMD should have no issues going toe-to-toe with the Kaby Lake i3s in the 15- to 35w segment.

It was 'baked' in Week 30 of 2017. There are likely going to be a bunch of mobiles hitting the market for Black Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.