AMD Bristol Ridge Good?

SubaruWRX244

Honorable
May 11, 2017
Hello! Very soon i'm going to be picking up a new CPU for my GTX 980. I was told to get the G4560 but then right about I made my choice the Athlon X4 950 came up..... I was wondering if it would be any better than the G4560. I also am seeing Raven Ridge but is that only for laptops? Thanks

Solution

kanewolf

Titan

That is a little premature IMO. When we see some more reliable comparisons I will gladly concur or differ, but on Sept 1, the answer is "unknown" ...

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

If you're going to go AM4 spend a few extra dollars to get a Ryzen 3. The Bristol Ridge CPU/APUs do not have the IPC that the Pentium does. It will still be faster in gaming.

4745454b

Titan
Anand's preview of these chips.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11669/amd-releases-bristol-ridge-to-retail-am4-gets-apus

Basically it's a cheap APU on the AM4 socket for those who need a chip now and don't have the $$$ to buy a Ryzen CPU. These are still dozer cores so it's still slower then the i3 6100. They are a 65W part to Intels 35-54W CPUs, yet are cheaper out the door. In another thread I was in they can be bought on newegg for $55-80+. At half the cost with an upgrade path to Ryzen they aren't horrible. But they aren't good APUs either.

jeffredo

Distinguished

Exactly.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Disagree. We all know what these are. They are still Bulldozer cores, 28nm. They don't have a prayer of competing with the Pentium in raw gaming performance, period. They are a stopgap until Ryzen based APUs can be produced.

kanewolf

Titan
They CAN'T be stopgap until Ryzen APUs are produced. They don't have built-in graphics. They are intended as lower cost entry point into the AM4 ecosystem. But If you can show me a benchmark for an X4 950 on a reputable site, then you are a better "Googler" than I am.

SubaruWRX244

Honorable
May 11, 2017

Seems like I can overclock the X4 950 and get some good numbers. The only thing is that the G4560 leaves me with the 1151 socket. Intel is constantly changing their boards and sockets... Its kinda annoying tbh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyjXC3I7vLo
The chip seems pretty good for the same price as the Pentium and Im getting a true Quad Core with an upgrade to Ryzen.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Yes, they do

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113451&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Processors+-+Desktops-_-N82E16819113451&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiqTNBRDVARIsAGsd9Mp6EIaCK_EcdTIFpIdHa3NwBIUG42CtDQkRX_o4xqfheGabZ60Cmv4aAue3EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

They are literally a replacement for the current FM2+ line to get systems off that platform and on to AM4.

No I don't have a benchmark. But Bulldozer cores ain't getting any faster with age.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

They change sockets based on generation. AMD used to do that as well until they massively slowed down R&D. Right now though they maintain 2 current sockets AM4 and TR2 and 2 legacy FM2+ and AM3+.

The Athlon won't compete with the Pentium, however if your plan is to replace it with a Ryzen in time then this isn't a bad idea.

Solution

His review was pretty bad since he simply stood still in all the games making the cpu not do much work at all since it's just the same area which is already loaded.