AMD Campaigning Yukon as Intel Atom Alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

m3kt3k

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
AMD fails to understand using hot chicks wont work unless they actually put out. If both of those chicks would spend the night I MIGHT think about going back to using AMD chips. I dunno the Intel chicks were hot and DID put out.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
[citation][nom]m3kt3k[/nom]AMD fails to understand using hot chicks wont work unless they actually put out. If both of those chicks would spend the night I MIGHT think about going back to using AMD chips. I dunno the Intel chicks were hot and DID put out.[/citation]

I might buy AMD if they just get up and shake their money makers for me... Then again, I might buy AMD CPU's anyways.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Oof, does anyone remember the old IBM Cyrix girls, yikes!

I think AMD bought into the Steve Jobs "no one wants netbooks" hype a little early, and now they're trying to get back in the game.

I must have also missed something. Wasn't the problem with the Atom the fact that it used a really old and really inefficient chipset that consumed a lot of power. Did they resolve that for the mobile chipset they're now using? 25W for Yukon doesn't seem that bad.

G

Netbooks are teh suck, SRSLY, the screen is too small, the keyboard suxx, and they're pathetically slow. AMD got it right, I'm probably getting one of these when they come out.

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]NetbookHater[/nom]Netbooks are teh suck, SRSLY, the screen is too small, the keyboard suxx, and they're pathetically slow. AMD got it right, I'm probably getting one of these when they come out.[/citation]
Lol,maybe.

If these are most popular in netbook form,they will only be competing with Nvidia's Ion platform - wouldn't Nvidia helping Intel be such a bitch,since all Intel does is whine at Nvidia,or what?

radguy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Netbooks are pretty kewl devices exspecialy considering the money. They run xp fine and there keyboards are slowly getting to be pretty good. Intels atom processor restictions have forced the netbook market to what it has become. The next best option to a netbook is the lenovos x61 but that costs at min 650 if you use the coupon. For 350 dollars you can get an msi wind u120. Why can't I get something in the middle for $500. AMD might be on to something

Area51

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
How can you compare two products with such deferent TDP's? They are not the same class. I hope that someday AMD will have a comparable solution to Atom, but until then it's silly to position this solution against atom at this time.

G

Area51: I believe that 25w TDP includes the chipset(25w is on par with their regular notebook chips for just the CPU), so if atom + chipset is using 15 to 20, then 25 isn't so bad. Atom is too slow for a laptop type device(like a netbook), but it would be great in a cellphone or PDA. You just can't do much with a netbook, after the novelty wears off, you realize that it's kind of lame, and you wish you could do more with it.

vider

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
According to the article on Slash Gear's web site, Atom 270 combined with the 945GE chip-set has a TDP of 8W (I doubt it, as the slide show comes from Intel). So a 25W is not really a good option for a netbook. But, I think that AMD might come with a chip that has a TDP as low as Atom and at the same time beat it in any category. I like the fact that AMD let the OEM's do what ever they want with the chip, this is the way to go, freedom.

G

Actually the Intel atom processor consumes a mere 2 watts of power! The chip set consumes about 6 or 8 watts (cant remember). So 8 watts for the CPU + chip set sounds good.

The thing about the atom is its really slow, its not suited for even mildly computation intensive tasks such as watching videos. Also, it doesn't even support the full set of instructions. Meaning programs developed with the newer instructions won't run on the Atom at all.

Based on performance per watt the Atom is awesome, but with so little power, your money is better spent else where. I would recommend a 1.9 GHz or so AMD X2. AMD might not have the fastest processors at the highend, but they are an extreamly good choice for consumers on a budget (anything less then 1000$).

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Wasn't the problem with the Atom the fact that it used a really old and really inefficient chipset that consumed a lot of power. Did they resolve that for the mobile chipset they're now using? 25W for Yukon doesn't seem that bad.[/citation]

From the Nvidia Ion review :
"945GC’s TDP is 22.2 W, and the Atom 230 + 945GC + ICH7 platform has a TDP of 29.5 W." so I'd say 25W for a cpu alone might be a lot, cause even the ion chipset eats another 16W and might be the most effecient chipset available but still 25% more power hungry than an atom setup. (rumors say nvidia will make an ion for amd chips)

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]From the Nvidia Ion review : "945GC’s TDP is 22.2 W, and the Atom 230 + 945GC + ICH7 platform has a TDP of 29.5 W." so I'd say 25W for a cpu alone might be a lot, cause even the ion chipset eats another 16W and might be the most effecient chipset available but still 25% more power hungry than an atom setup. (rumors say nvidia will make an ion for amd chips)[/citation]
Yukon is actually the platform, that means a CPU + Chipset = Yukon = 25W. Therefore, I can't see why anyone would use an Atom/945GC combo when they can have Yukon or VIA Nano for the same consumption but more computing power.

However, I think netbooks use the 945GSE, which consumes only 8W (unlike the 945GC's 22W). I guess this is where Atom beats the others in power.

G

People are thinking/expecting a netbook = cheap notebook. For some folks all they want is a very light/portable notebook that can check email and do basic office work or even watch a DVD or play some music. You really do not need 1080P on a screen that is not even capable of that resolution or advanced CPU capabilities.

I also am not going to be buying $50 FPS games to play on a $200-300 netbook. If you really want something to do this, buy a cheap notebook.

The netbook was not designed as a jack of all trades device, yet people are trying to force it to be this. AMD is clearly trying to do this as they don't have a product designed into this segment so they are trying to force features into the segment where it has an advantage.

The ultimate problem for AMD is that the 945chipset is not going to be around for very long and when Intel does put out the system on a chip solution, an underclocked K8 (and accompanying chipset) is simply not going to be competitive from a power perspective. AMD is targetting the competition against the current product and not thinking about the future product. Ultimately AMD will have to do their own SOC solution and won't be able to force in existing solutions into this market.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]cant remember[/nom]The netbook was not designed as a jack of all trades device, yet people are trying to force it to be this. AMD is clearly trying to do this as they don't have a product designed into this segment so they are trying to force features into the segment where it has an advantage.[/citation]
Really? I thought AMD was focusing on "subnotebooks" and "Ultramobiles"? Even small form factor desktops?

G

The intel with old platform (GMA945)used round about 18W of power.
I'm not going to buy a platform that uses 20% more power!
What's the use of mobile, compact and cheap if you need to equip a mininetbook with a 6 cell 10.000+mah battery, only to have 3 hours of battery life?

If AMD wants to do good, they'd manufacture everything on 45nm or smaller!
So far I don't think AMD has a solution for small, energy efficient, and affordable!

I think that's something we can expect from Via and NVidia soon!

A mininotebook should not be meant to watch HD video's on. It should only have a monitor out for programs where the internal screen is slightly too small to display.
Neither is it for gaming..

I'm slightly more sympathetic with AMD, since they don't do the restrictions Intel is putting on the devices, but I don't like AMD saying they won't invest in this type of market, when in the end they DO want a piece of the cake!
I think they should have said they wanted to join too.
That would be much more positive towards the communities.
It's like someone lying all the time, suddenly appear with a gift for you... It's awkward, and I don't think I want a piece of this yukon platform.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Yukon is actually the platform, that means a CPU + Chipset = Yukon = 25W. Therefore, I can't see why anyone would use an Atom/945GC combo when they can have Yukon or VIA Nano for the same consumption but more computing power.However, I think netbooks use the 945GSE, which consumes only 8W (unlike the 945GC's 22W). I guess this is where Atom beats the others in power.[/citation]
Well in that case I suppose yukon makes sense - at least until nvidia makes an ion for amd chips :)

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]WheelsOfConfusion[/nom]Who needs it? ATI's integrated graphics are plenty good enough for netbook-like devices. 1080p in hardware, low power usage, hdmi-out, etc.[/citation]
My mom's got to stay in bed most of the day because of an accident a while back. Currently she gets up and plays a bit of jigsaw and the like on their stationary computer. If she could get an ion system though, she didn't have to be limited to sudoku's and watching rather boring afternoon shows on tv. With an ion she could play more demanding stuff right from her bed ...
Most able people may not need a netbook for anything but notes and a bit of music playing - but for some people they could be perfect if they'd pack a bit more graphical punch - that's where the ion comes into play.

Status
Not open for further replies.