News AMD Can't Beat Ada, So Brags About Old Ampere Comparisons

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
AMD Can't Beat Ada, So Brags About Old Ampere Comparisons
That's missing the point. The reason AMD is making comparisons involving the RX 6800 is because they have a lot of old inventory they're trying to move. It has nothing to do with RX 7000 vs RTX 4000.

The cheapest Radeon RX 6800 has dropped to $479, while the GeForce RTX 3070 now starts at $456, making them direct rivals.
Okay, so then you just legitimized their comparison between the two. That's settled.

I think the author is trying too hard to manufacture controversy, here. The only story is what the old and new cards are currently selling for, and how their performance compares.

Last edited:

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
But really nobody should be purchasing -any- graphics card right now. New cards are too overpriced, especially midrange cards for their specs, and old cards are about to be replaced.

Not sure about that.

AMD's 6800 series are more future proof because of their extra VRAM and superiority in general. I'd say a 6800 XT would be good for another 4-6 years. And you can't their beat current price.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
previous generations of GPUs will always be valuable for people on a budget or for people who don't need the latest generation hardware.
But really nobody should be purchasing -any- graphics card right now. New cards are too overpriced, especially midrange cards for their specs, and old cards are about to be replaced.
Replaced by what more overpriced crap from Ngreedia?

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
AMD has no desire to actually compete directly with nVidia, and have stated such repeatedly.

Until this changes, expect to see more of this, and even higher prices from nVidia.

Reactions: artk2219

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
previous generations of GPUs will always be valuable for people on a budget or for people who don't need the latest generation hardware.

Replaced by what more overpriced crap from Ngreedia?
Is it nVidia's fault AMD decided to let them become a monopoly?

Here's an idea: stop buying AMD's crap and maybe they will get the message and compete.

This is one of the most absurd and controversial articles I have read on Tom's. Doesn't make much sense about this, since we already know the pure rasterized performance of the RX 6800 vs RTX 3070. And at what MSRP they were selling between 2020–2022.

AMD is not bragging about it's GPUs in my opinion.

They are comparing previous gen RDNA2 GPU with Ampere, because they must be having a lot of inventory of previous gen cards, and they also lack a direct competitor to the ADA gen of cards in XX60/XX70-class of GPUs, as of now. This might change in future though.

AMD never said they have plans to beat Nvidia from the get go at least in the high-end segment, in the first place. So there is clearly no bragging or bashing here.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
That's missing the point. The reason AMD is making comparisons involving the RX 6800 is because they have a lot of old inventory they're trying to move. It has nothing to do with RX 7000 vs RTX 4000.
The timing of this is no coincidence. It's one of the worst kept secrets that Nvidia is getting ready to release a 4060 and 4060 Ti this month. AMD is desperately trying to unload their RDNA2 cards before the comparison becomes RX6000 vs RTX 4000 with pricing parity. 6800 may still win overall in rasterized performance, but it is going to be closer, while the RTX 4000 should win pretty much everywhere else including a significant advantage in feature set and in power draw, the product metric people only care about when their side is winning.

D

Deleted member 2838871

Ahhhh…that shiny new 4090 in the case was me paying for the privilege of not having to worry about GPUs for the next few years.

Overpriced? I dunno. The best should come at a premium… As for AMD cards… never owned one. Ever.

Nvidia has always been the best. If AMD made a better card I’d buy it.

Reactions: ManDaddio
Hm. Just saw an open box 6950xt today for under 600. Too bad I don’t have extra cash at the moment. I mean realistically would you buy a card like that or a 4070 or 4070ti?

AMD may have lots of old inventory but clearly judging by the amount of 3000 series cards for sale nvidia has some also left to move. It looks to me like AMD cards from last gen high end are competing well with the new nvidia mid range. Plus they aren’t as overpriced. I’d buy one of those before giving nvidia my money. And I know a good friend who just dropped the money on a new 7900xtx as opposed to the new nvidia offerings. Keep in mind his cards recently were nvidia. EVGA specifically.

Reactions: bit_user
D

Deleted member 2838871

It looks to me like AMD cards from last gen high end are competing well with the new nvidia mid range. Plus they aren’t as overpriced. I’d buy one of those before giving nvidia my money. And I know a good friend who just dropped the money on a new 7900xtx as opposed to the new nvidia offerings. Keep in mind his cards recently were nvidia. EVGA specifically.

It's just too bad nothing from AMD can compete with the 4090.

EVGA made good cards but it's not surprising they got out when they did. I don't know much about AMD cards because I've never owned one but I know what I've read in recent reviews... and that is that the 7900XTX does a nice job in 1080p/1440p and 4K... but the 4090 is 20% faster in 1440p and something like 37% faster in 4K and 79% faster in RT.

37%? Well... I game in 4K so if you ask me if I would pay $1000 for an XTX or $1700 for a 4090 for 37% better 4K performance and 79% better RT performance the answer is I would buy the 4090 every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

There's no AMD hate here either I went with Ryzen 7000 series because it's comparable to 13900k with a better power draw and thermals... but as far as GPUs go there's really no comparison between AMD and Nvidia on the high end and I'm one of those people that wants his CPU paired with the best GPU for optimal performance when gaming in 4K Ultra.

If I were a 1080p gamer I'd have saved a lot of money on my GPU.

May 10, 2023
Hope AMD cards sale well, then we could get cheaper Nvidia card.

My GTX1060 could barely maintain 60fps at mid/low settings nowadays

Don't want to grab neither RX 6700 XT nor RTX 3060 Ti at current price

Last edited:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Kind of sad how the only thing AMD has to brag about is its old GPUs
It's not the only thing they could be touting, it's just the current priority.

because it doesn't want to launch new GPUs that would force their old excess stock prices down if they want any chance of clearing stale inventory.
Hey, that's just a downside of mass market hardware. We like high-volume manufacturing when it works in our favor, this is just one of its consequences we have to deal with.

I'm still amazed at just how powerful these CPUs and GPUs are that we completely take for granted. It's like your younger self having a supercomputer for the price of a nice vacation.

Last edited:
Reactions: King_V

TRENDING THREADS