AMD Carrizo Launched, Packs Efficiency And Innovation Into Mainstream Notebooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

HideOut

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
So just a few hours ago I read a MASSIVE story on here about the new intel chips and how badass they were. Now you post this too? Why not combine the reviews...

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
So I take from this AMD is going to just focus on the most profitable area it can at the expense of other sectors. It's clearly not able to compete on all fronts any more. It's dedicated GPU's aren't generally as good Nvidia. It's CPU's and APU's are no where near as good as Intel's.
So now they are just going to focus on a particular area, the portable sector.

TeamBlueRedGreen

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
So I take from this AMD is going to just focus on the most profitable area it can at the expense of other sectors. It's clearly not able to compete on all fronts any more. It's dedicated GPU's aren't generally as good Nvidia. It's CPU's and APU's are no where near as good as Intel's.

You can't compare or talk like you are. You have to look at what you pay, what you want, and what you get for your every dollar. AMD APUs are (which I thought were a waste until until these) are still around half the price of the new 6200 and Iris pros Broadwells and keep growing exponentially.

Also, stop talking about the Nvidia cards. The 290X is AMAZING. I'm still doing builds with it, paying around $270-290 each. Crossfire with FreeSync is still cheaper than a 980 but, STILL, amazing alone. No CF/SLI bridge needed n boom! Either way, Intel is winning if you wanna pay more. I have clients with smaller budgets and I have to physically go with AMD.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Now lets see notebook manufacturers actually make computers worth buying with these APUs in them. I've been under the impression since the Richland era you could build a reasonable $500 1080p faux-unibody notebook that was stylish without going insane like high end Lenovo or Dell notebooks that use carbon fiber and 4k displays.

If we end up with another crop of depressing plastic 768p guffins again, then don't be shocked that I'm not interested.

it's a paper launch. reviewers are waiting for samples.

Lol, what? You should have just said CPUs. AMD's APUs are one of the few things AMD has intel beat in. Intel wins on the processor side but anything gaming and AMD pulls ahead easily.

Nvidia? They have a lead right now and sure love ripping their customers off with it (it must be nice to be a Titan X owner right now). AMD's next gen cards are going to close that gap.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Jeez, if they're ripping off customers how come they have made what they pulled down in 2007 for 8yrs? I'd tear you apart again with financials but what is the point. You clearly don't read balance sheets or financial reports so running the numbers for you would be pointless. Let me know when AMD makes money for the year ;) IF it's APU's were any good (cpu so weak they have no pricing power) they'd be making some money on them right? They won't be able to price for profit until they get a ZEN core in there and it's wait and see on that.

I'm fairly certain titan owners are pretty happy. Nobody believes you get a "great" deal at the bleeding edge and they still have double the memory etc. For the purposes most were bought (pro users on a budget making content - and a few RICH gamers who couldn't care less), they're not crying over it. Their other option was THOUSANDS of dollars. IE, an M6000 quadro with 12GB is $5000. You could buy 4 Titan X's, have 48GB and laugh about the grand you saved. Nobody is whining in this crowd. Heck even two, leaves you with $3000 to buy the rest of your monster PC for content creation.

kenjitamura

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Give me a $500 laptop with a 1080p IPS Freesync screen and quad core carrizo APU and I'll be extremely happy. Although TBH I don't expect to see any laptop with that particular combination of features for under $700 which is unfortunate as I'm fairly certain they could all be fit into a $500 envelope and still make the manufacturers a profit.

But I still think I'll refrain from buying any new laptops until ~2016 when AMD has released some Finfet Zen APU's with on die HBM ~.^

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
if and I mean if these claims are true and the 8800p is running games like DOT2 at max settings at 1080p above 30fps, then it's going to give 6200 Irs pro a run for its money.

I hope AMD is being on the level and not just trying to hype things up. They should have learned from the bulldozer fiasco.

Looks like AMD is really focusing on design, instead of just chasing IPC. They seem to have some really interesting ideas and if brought to fruition, could really change the game. Intel has been mostly focused on the iGPU and process for the last several generations. This may shake things up.

With the way AMD is doing things, "Zen" should be a very interesting chip.

wtfxxxgp

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012

Lol, what? You should have just said CPUs. AMD's APUs are one of the few things AMD has intel beat in. Intel wins on the processor side but anything gaming and AMD pulls ahead easily.

Nvidia? They have a lead right now and sure love ripping their customers off with it (it must be nice to be a Titan X owner right now). AMD's next gen cards are going to close that gap.

Excuse me? I think you missed a review article yesterday on 6200 Iris Pro. AMD APU gaming prowess has been destroyed with Intel's latest. DESTROYED.

Reepca

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

Yeah, and then intel priced it in a range where a real-world market segment doesn't exist. The entry-level will prefer AMD APUs, the higher-end will prefer dGPUs, the only practical point of Iris Pro 6200 is for people trying to fit mid-range capabilities in a small form-factor. Also, consider checking out the anandtech article of the same topic - they tested with slightly higher settings (the kind where you're still above 60 fps, so there's no point to *not* use them) and from what I've heard the gap significantly decreased - on average, at those settings, the gap was reported to be 20%. Which is hardly "DESTROYED". So sure, Intel's best iGPU is better than AMD's. Congratulations. I wish the Intel engineers a hearty slice of cake. But in the desktop market (you know, what that review was about), little changes.

Mobile will be interesting, though. The currently known Broadwell mobile SKUs have 47W TDPs, significantly higher than what Carrizo is going for (which is what, 35W max, with a sweet spot around 15W?).

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
If you think winning by 20-25% at twice the price is destroying the competition, you, sir, (to use an aphorism) need to stop drinking the Kool-Aid. Yes, they finally have the lead, but with ten times the resources of AMD, they could've done it before, couldn't they?

There's also the elephant in the room - DirectX 12. AMD is touting their asynchronous compute engines as being able to significantly accelerate workloads. We don't actually know what Broadwell brings to the table here, let alone how both perform.

I applaud Intel for rolling Iris Pro out in a far wider fashion, but we're also only seeing low to medium quality benchmarks, and mostly at 720p. That hardly tells the true story. For all we know, Intel is probably even more ahead when you crank up the details, then again the eDRAM could start to be choked. I think more tests are required before shouting from the rooftops about one product destroying another.

Reepca

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
"People buying notebooks expect to use them for the content that they desire, including streaming the latest League of Legends match on Twitch."

As a proud owner of a Dell Latitude D630 (potato edition), I can say that viewing content streamed from Twitch is pretty easy work for most computers - this one can handle 1080p@30fps at least, or 720p@60fps (core 2 duo CPU, GM965 integrated graphics). I think it could go higher, but none of the streams I watch are broadcast at higher quality settings.

Viewing content through Twitch's in-browser Flash player, on the other hand, is an abomination. If people just used Livestreamer, they would find that even significantly outdated potatoes are quite capable of playing back video streamed from Twitch.

In case I haven't made it clear yet, I hate Flash.

InvalidError

Titan

The i5/i7 were using DDR3 at 1600MT/s due to various issues with patched BIOS and early sample chips. The gap will likely widen considerably when they get benchmarked with the same 2133-2400MT/s DDR3 used with the A10 to level the playing field.

As for these chips being introduced at prices where they have no market for, keep in mind that the socketed SKUs only exist due to enthusiast outrage when Intel originally announced that Broadwell was going to be embedded/OEM-only. People asked for it and now Intel is making them pay for it. Part of the inflated price is likely to offset the expected lower sales volume and shorter market life.

Traciatim

Distinguished
I noticed on last slide
"up to 2x faster than Intel Core i7"
can you please research more in this part?

They mean when using the integrated GPU only, since the current gen Intel stuff is actually pretty terrible. If you have a discrete video card then the Intel CPU will simply destroy this thing... for a price.

It looks like *Onion and Garlic* are growing up nicely.

The lack of memory bandwidth has typically been the bummer, but the revised arch (with Tonga compression algorithms?) 'presumably' could provide a 35- to 40% boost in throughput via that 256-bit 'Radeon Control Link'

UVD-6 is the gravy on the biscuit. Make it so, AMD! The die-shrink next year with DDR4 support, FinFET, HSA refinement, and even HBM eDRAM could makes things really, really interesting.

Hey, Zoltac? If you do not put Carrizo in a Z-Box I will never again buy any of your products :)

Note: These are AMD's numbers. We'll have to wait for products to test this out ourselves.
This. I'd love for anyone, anyone at all, to make some remarkable advancements, but the foul taste of Bulldozer's marketing hype will be with us for a long long time. Don't just talk about it, DO IT.
I like the fact that my little Kabini laptop can handle all sorts of office tasks and even some modest gaming (e.g. GW1), yet last pretty much all day on a charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.