News AMD CEO Lisa Su Doesn’t Seem All That Worried About the Chip Shortage

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
She's correct. To some extent, you could say that miners are "hoarding" video cards. That's only one aspect of the overall shortage/problem, but it's still there.

Is anybody here still hoarding toilet paper? I bet many hoarded toilet paper about a year ago.

It's always temporary, and we will all cheer the low prices that result from the oversupply that comes in the next few months or year. This isn't the first mega cycle and won't be the last. We'll talk about it like we did the toilet paper shortage.

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
AMD is taking advantage of this 'shortage' by selling all of its processors at a premium. Forget about GPU's, there are no more cheaper Ryzen 3's, Athlon CPU's anymore. Ryzen 5 3600x is the cheapest CPU's that you can buy today and it cost more than Intel I5 CPU's.

InvalidError

Titan
Why would she be concerned, given the price they are selling what they can produce.
Probably one of their best year, financially
Exactly. No point in worrying about shortages when you are having two of your best years in the company's history thanks to being perpetually sold-out of everything you are able to get made at maxed-out prices.

vern72

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2012
AMD is taking advantage of this 'shortage' by selling all of its processors at a premium. Forget about GPU's, there are no more cheaper Ryzen 3's, Athlon CPU's anymore. Ryzen 5 3600x is the cheapest CPU's that you can buy today and it cost more than Intel I5 CPU's.
Really? I haven't noticed this. The CPU prices I'm seeing are actually a bit lower than normal (i.e. they are being discounted). I guess the increases haven't got here yet.

Umfriend

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2013
It's funny to see how in the past, Intel often got accused of abusing their performance monopoly by charging to high prices and now that AMD challenges or even wears the performance crown, the same is leveled against AMD. As if AMD was ever some sort of benevolent company working for the good of all (which, like Intel, they are, just not by selling for less than they can). I guess it is a special case of Winners' Curse.

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021
She's correct. To some extent, you could say that miners are "hoarding" video cards. That's only one aspect of the overall shortage/problem, but it's still there.

Is anybody here still hoarding toilet paper? I bet many hoarded toilet paper about a year ago.

It's always temporary, and we will all cheer the low prices that result from the oversupply that comes in the next few months or year. This isn't the first mega cycle and won't be the last. We'll talk about it like we did the toilet paper shortage.
I really like how cool you are with everything, also AMD isn't concerned about shortage as long they can make money, which they are doing by a lot

magbarn

Reputable
Dec 9, 2020
We've been through plenty of shortages in this industry before, but not one that affects everything significantly to the point that car factories are being forced to be idled. This is in turn causing the prices of even used cars to spike to do lack of availability.

Co BIY

Splendid
We've been through plenty of shortages in this industry before, but not one that affects everything significantly to the point that car factories are being forced to be idled. This is in turn causing the prices of even used cars to spike to do lack of availability.

This is actually at least partially a function of car companies being unfamiliar with the chip market and not getting their supplies properly guaranteed. I bet they will do better in the future by reserving their wafer starts.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Really? I haven't noticed this. The CPU prices I'm seeing are actually a bit lower than normal (i.e. they are being discounted). I guess the increases haven't got here yet.
I think it's not necessarily that the price for a given SKU is going up, but that the lower end SKUs just are't really available. The last time they released a proper desktop lineup of entry level parts was Zen/Zen+ (1000 series Ryzen 3 CPUs/3000 series APUs). Since then all entry level desktop parts have been OEM-only, extremely limited in availability, or just not released at all (i.e. nothing lower than a 300 USD 5600X for the latest gen).

Also, although prices may not have gone up (much), they haven't gone down. Ryzen CPUs usually had their price trend down noticeably a while after release, particularly after the next gen came out. 3rd gen Ryzen prices started to drop last year, but now look like they're back up selling close to MSRP. This is based on North American pricing though, maybe it's been different elsewhere.

clsmithj

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
Why would she be concerned, given the price they are selling what they can produce.
Probably one of their best year, financially
Except they are not selling nearly enough to show market dominance due their supply being strained. So the end result that's happening currently is lost sales both in the CPU and GPU market against Intel and NVIDIA.

clsmithj

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
Lisa told you guys at Tom Hardware back in January that supplies would be difficult to get a hold of until July. July is quickly creeping up around the corner and from what I noticed on AMD's Buy-Direct on their weekly drops is their in-stock time got even shorter from under 60 seconds selling out to now under 10 seconds selling out. Which indicates to me that they are getting fewer supply stock of GPUs, this is shown even more evident when they haven't listed any Radeon RX 6800 XT GPUs on their website in 4 weeks, and now RX 6900 XT not listed in 2 weeks. It's getting worse and worse. Will the tide change by July as Lisa predicted back in January?

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
I really like how cool you are with everything, also AMD isn't concerned about shortage as long they can make money, which they are doing by a lot

I stayed cool and level headed during the toilet paper hoarding a year ago too. And, well, I'm sure the toilet paper companies made a cool buck during all of that as well.