News AMD CEO Lisa Su Talks: Chip Shortages, Tariffs, GPUs, and More Cores

There will be more; you will continue to see refreshes as we go into the first quarter and into the first half.

and they will be scalped as long as there is not a supply for the 5000 series.
Doesnt fix the issue.

From our standpoint, if you think about it, with just the amount of new hardware that had to come into place, and the millions and millions of units of both consoles, or all three consoles, frankly, that needed to ship. I think it actually came together very nicely."

3?
is she referring to pc's as consoles?

casue each "console" has 2 versions (so wouldnt even equal 3) or mentioning an unreleased console that uses their chip?

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
By the time that these AMD products become generally available to consumers in retail stores at suggested prices there will be a new improved generation on the short term horizon.

Intel's Rocket Lake CPUs " are rumored to land in mid-March" reportedly regaining gaming performance lead "ranges from 2% to 8% (roughly 4% advantage overall}". Intel CPUs are produced in its existing fabs so supply should be quick and generous. There were reports a few months ago that Intel stopped producing 9000 series to switch over to 11000 series. In 17 months we can expect a new generation of Nvidia GPUs to further enhance their lead over AMD GPUs.

While paper specs on AMD Ryzen 5000 and Radeon 6000 graphics cards look great, this will effectively be a lost generation if sufficient volumes can't get to the consumer.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
By the time that these AMD products become generally available to consumers in retail stores at suggested prices there will be a new improved generation on the short term horizon.

Intel's Rocket Lake CPUs " are rumored to land in mid-March" reportedly regaining gaming performance lead "ranges from 2% to 8% (roughly 4% advantage overall}". Intel CPUs are produced in its existing fabs so supply should be quick and generous. There were reports a few months ago that Intel stopped producing 9000 series to switch over to 11000 series. In 17 months we can expect a new generation of Nvidia GPUs to further enhance their lead over AMD GPUs.

While paper specs on AMD Ryzen 5000 and Radeon 6000 graphics cards look great, this will effectively be a lost generation if sufficient volumes can't get to the consumer.
If AMD is selling every chip they can produce with decent margins, there's no reason for them to care if everyone who wants one can actually get one. All the shortages will tell them is to charge more with the next generation. AMD's goal, like every company, is to maximize profits, not make friends.

InvalidError

Titan
Keep in mind that part of the reason for AMD's success is on-going shortages of Intel's own chips over the last three to four years forcing OEMs to consider AMD because Intel was banking on 10nm and beyond to increase production volume. That plan is now a whole four years late on execution and the two extra fabs Intel has upgraded to 14nm along the way weren't enough to catch up with demand.

Reactions: VforV and CorpRebel

ThatMouse

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2014
It will be interesting to see if anyone will be able to build a new PC in 2020 given that the next gen CPU's and GPU's are not available! Many manufacturers are sold out of AMD laptops and they are already talking about the next gen.

InvalidError

Titan
It will be interesting to see if anyone will be able to build a new PC in 2020 given that the next gen CPU's and GPU's are not available!
Building a PC is not a problem.

Doing so for a relatively affordable price for a given relative performance tier compared to 5-10 years ago on the other hand, that isn't happening for the foreseeable future. If I wanted to build something equivalent to my $400 i5-3470 today, I'd have to spend around $600 between the exchange rate and price gouging.

usiname

Prominent
BANNED
Feb 27, 2020

"roughly 4% advantage overall" You make me laugh. So few games where intel has advantage and "help" to their CPUs to perform better and now intel has the crown? Don't you watch leaks? They are slower in games than 10900k. Even if you don't watch leaks do you really think intel will put random games in their slides where they not perform well? Do you think they will run the benchmark single time on both systems and won't try to push their result to make it to look better? If 4% is the best they can show in their manipulated test this mean they can't beat even their old gen, because with comet lake you can easy get more than 4% overall in the games where it perform better than amd.

usiname

Prominent
BANNED
Feb 27, 2020
AFAIK, all leaks so far have been engineering samples clocked nowhere near what retail parts will be, so the leaked numbers need to be scaled up to final clocks if you want to compare them against retail.
Do you really read my post, or stopped at leaks?

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
"roughly 4% advantage overall" You make me laugh. So few games where intel has advantage and "help" to their CPUs to perform better and now intel has the crown? Don't you watch leaks? They are slower in games than 10900k. Even if you don't watch leaks do you really think intel will put random games in their slides where they not perform well? Do you think they will run the benchmark single time on both systems and won't try to push their result to make it to look better? If 4% is the best they can show in their manipulated test this mean they can't beat even their old gen, because with comet lake you can easy get more than 4% overall in the games where it perform better than amd.
Will you buy a lower performance CPU just because it says AMD or Intel on the box? Personally I want the best performance that fits my computing needs for the price I am willing to pay.

usiname

Prominent
BANNED
Feb 27, 2020
Will you buy a lower performance CPU just because it says AMD or Intel on the box? Personally I want the best performance that fits my computing needs for the price I am willing to pay.
Of course you will buy less performance, your performance metrics are intel's slides and even can't understand for what I talking about.

2%-8% at way higher power consumption and lesser cores.

and iirc didn't they compare their highest chip vs the 5900x? a cpu that is beaten in many games by the 5600x?

Reactions: VforV

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
In 17 months we can expect a new generation of Nvidia GPUs to further enhance their lead over AMD GPUs.
In 17 months, actually sooner if you look at AMD's cadence from RDNA1 to RDNA2 that is shorter, AMD will have RDNA3. So nvidia will not be the only one with a new gen of GPUs.

Reactions: Jim90

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
Let me make this real simple for AMD fans. You can't sell what you can't produce and deliver.

My local Microcenter will sell absolutely ZERO AMD 5k series CPUs and 6k series GPUs as well as ZERO 3k Nvidia GPUs today! Why because MC doesn't have any to sell unless a shipments arrives later today. There is no shortage of Intel 10 series CPUs although five "z 490" motherboards showing in inventory.

There is only ONE 5700xt AMD GPU in stock. If any newer generation AMD or Nvidia GPUs show up they will sell quickly and people that need one won't be picky about the brand.

Meanwhile product development continues and whenever one of these companies has a better product they will switch to producing it. Once consumers know a better product is coming they start delaying purchases until it is available.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Let me make this real simple for Intel fans. Shortages of Zen3 CPUs are not the same all over the world. USA = not the entire world.

We had from the start and we still have Zen3 CPUs all the time in lots of parts of EU, especially Eastern EU. And they don't even have scalper prices, at most a 10% increase.

We do however have RDNA2 shortages and scalper prices for those. Not for Zen3 though...

Jim90

Distinguished
For AMD, the console contracts are having and will continue to have a negative impact on general desktop Zen3 and RDNA2 products for some time to come, unfortunately, - for the average person, consoles are still extremely hard to find - from a general perspective. Remember that there will, of course, be volume numbers associated with those contracts and judging by scarcity, there's some time till minimums are reached (likely built in room for some manoeuvre though). This doesn't prevent AMD from continuing to develop new products. As Lisa likes to say, things are "tight". Nvidia, meanwhile, are busy changing over to Ti/Super variants - a delay forced by that 'unexpected' competition. All in all a pretty bizarre series of events for dGPUs - whoever releases in significant volume is going to make a very nice profit.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Once consumers know a better product is coming they start delaying purchases until it is available.
That's the trend though. If they wait, they wait forever.
"I know RTX 40 is coming in several months, so I'll wait on that."
RTX 40 launches several months later
"Sweet, now I'm gonna get me one of -
RTX 50 is in the works
"-__-"
Are they really going to launch a product and not start on a new one afterwards?

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
My take is that if Intel meets price/availability goals along with its announced 2%-8% gaming performance improvement, that could kill the AMD scalpers, as higher power consumption with Intel is less important when you can actually get product. I see this as helping AMD in the long run, as the scalpers create bad press (which may affect stock prices).

Jan 13, 2021

The "4% advantage" is for "gaming", that is, single core. This was not a compelling argument against Ryzen 3 for most people, when the single-core gap was much bigger. Offering only 4% single core advantage and much worse multi-core is not competitive progress for Intel. And if AMD brings out 5___XT CPUs like it did for Ryzen 2, even the 4% advantage won't last long.

Reactions: VforV

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
Let me make this real simple for AMD fans. You can't sell what you can't produce and deliver.

Steam Hardware shows AMD took a major hit in CPU and GPU usage percentages in December and for 4th quarter of 2000. Either Nvidia and Intel each picked up a chunk of market chare or AMD owners stopped playing games on Steam over holidays.

TRENDING THREADS