AMD CEO Rory Read Is Out, Dr. Lisa Su Takes Over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
AMD has a few chances left, but it seems like they took a good gamble. They got the guy back that was largely responsible for the AMD Athlon, AMD64, and Apple's 64-bit ARM CPU

Drejeck

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
AMD needs to return on an SMT architecture like Jaguar/Kabini. They need to change socket/lithography often and design new architectures every 2 - 3 year.
Their old way of keeping legacy socket on new processor gets all stagnant, and not changing lithography gets all even more stagnant. The FX are proof of that.
We need more competition, Intel itself isn't moving too far from sandy bridge processors.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
This has to be one of the more brain-numbing idiotic moves I've ever seen from a company.

What the Hell were they thinking in announcing this eight days before earnings, instead of just packaging it with the earnings report? They have the entire investor market spooked because of this bizarre announcement, out of the blue, that no one understands the timing of. Including me.

Thanks AMD, for costing me $2000 in a night because you didn't have the sense to wait a week for the earnings report.

There's just no normal for this company. They behave like demented children, who have no sense of what's normal or how to handle even the simplest of things.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
12 core Phenom II? Umm... like that's going to do anything outside of encoding (which is pretty much where Bulldozer and its derivatives are good anyway, and for - shock - less power).

Long term, Rory Read refocusing AMD on the APU rather than trying to go head to head vs. the much bigger and stronger Intel may very well have saved the company. However boring for enthusiasts that may be, it made excellent business sense.

airborn824

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
I feel profit will follow the increase in console sales. What AMD needs is a relationship with a big OEM like HP, ASUS, or even a tablet or phone company to push out CPU. THey make great products for the money and push real R&D most of the time. Its more that a CEO change they need, they need to get products on the market consumers can buy.

dovah-chan

Honorable
AMD is working on their own ARM cores currently actually and I believe the first ones are scheduled for release in 2015 or so.

Seems like all the big cats are getting into ARM because they smell the $ besides Intel who blindly cling to x86 because it's all they know and they don't want to risk another itantic (bonus points for those who get the joke).

Right now we're seeing a race between ARM and Intel. It's all about who gets the most work done per click tick while consuming the least amount of energy and both companies are pushing the limit in those respects. It's a race against time to see if Intel can become more like ARM faster than they can become like Intel. (companies are throwing in ARM SoCs into platforms like Chromebooks and such)

But really it's nice to see AMD chilling in the background doing their own thing and trying to take away some market share where Intel and ARM currently lack focus in. (low budget and low powered mobile laptops and cheap desktops) As for the new CEO, I trust AMD to do their best and rise up again. Because the more companies compete, the more us consumers can reap in the benefits. :)

f-14

Distinguished
integrating AMD’s business units, global operations, sales and infrastructure enablement teams into “a single market-facing organization.” This organization is responsible for sales, operations, product execution and product strategy,
god lord this has to be the most over stressed over worked unit in the entire company then, i'm curious as to what their turn over rate in this unit is and how many times same position turn over has been. i expect every time there's a new hire their duties are added upon and the positions title even changed to disguise this fact.

as for rory i expected as much. AMD needs engineers who can figure out the FSB memory controller issue more than it needs a CEO....STILL. i'm still left with that bad taste in my mouth of the ATI integration and absorption of most of the ATI staff who worked for a reliable, but sub par standards company. 'just enough to get by' mottos don't cut it in 'cutting edge leaders' and Dr Su's past credentials scream " NOT at the forefront cutting edge leading the industry " just more of the ATI mantra " just enough to get by "
AMD will be lucky to survive as a company with more of this intel is in the GPU hunt..now it's just a matter of time before AMD gets shut out of this market as well and the only thing that will save them is their mobile and server divisions and the server divisions are in dire straights if they don't get their power cpu's back on top or they have a radical break thru in their mobile apu's that takes the market by storm and comes close to chomping at the heels of intels desktop market and threatens to eliminate the desktop market altogether.

Maximus_Delta

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
Completely moronic... few days before earnings they do the unthinkable... great way to destroy any investor trust that this company will behave in a way that isn't retarded. Just cost me a few thousands bucks the share price getting hammered today out the blue.

Maximus_Delta

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
And to add... great time to be experimenting with your first female CEO... not the company is fighting for its life effectively and needs that at the helm on PMT making emotionally charged decisions... maybe I am just bitter for losing my next rig in stock loses on this but seriously its retarded a few days before earnings. Peace out.

''I look forward to expanding on the strong foundation we have built under Rory's leadership as we develop industry-leading technologies and products for a diverse set of markets to drive sustainable and profitable growth."

well I guess this is why for the first time ever I went Intel with my last build .. go figure.

dgingeri

Distinguished
"effective immediately" uhoh, Read was in big trouble. To get dismissed that quickly is a really bad sign. He's gonna have a really hard time getting another job. AMD has been floundering, but I don't think that was his fault. It's more of an engineer problem.

Considering that Read is sticking around to assist with the transition, I suspect he was not in trouble. He refocused the company on APUs / lower power / mobile, but then all parties realized he wasn't the best choice to lead on those efforts. This may well be an engineering issue, which makes his replacement appear to be a reasonable choice.

coolitic

Distinguished
May 10, 2012
So perhaps they can start making it so that the PSU and cooling don't becomes the most expensive components in AMD builds.

I mean seriously, when it comes to efficiency, Nvidia and Intel are just running them over.

lol to the post above ---- I was wondering if after the 220w chip if they were going to release a 300w.. and the sad thing unless you go apu there boards and stuff are like 4+ years old now and if am3+ was so good why did they go back to Athlon for there apu chips and not there ''better'' am3+ ?

I always built amd but I cant see buying the past today and I don't see something like there fm2 stuff doing what I feel I want or need in a build. [opinion]

Status
Not open for further replies.