Question AMD chipset driver installation problem

ovelionnn

Commendable
Dec 3, 2020
Hi!
So I have an AM4 B450M Steel legend motherboard. Im using ryzen 5 cpu. Now i recently bought a new rx 6650xt but had problems installing drivers for it so i uninstalled all drivers with DDU and also including chipset bc at the beginning it wouldn't let me upgrade my gpu drivers bc i had chipset drivers already? Idk maybe i was updating them wrong but regardless, i got it now everything works.

Now i wanted to install chipset drivers again, the newest ones from amd coz i have probably the ones from windows update. Don't really know how to know if i have one or even see the version of my chipset driver.
But i know i didn't have the "amd chipset software" installed. Now when i want to install chipset drivers (im including all options, except ryzen power plan) im getting errors doing so. First i got an 1316 error but i fixed it, now im getting error saying: "this action is only valid for products that are installed"

and i can't find a way to fix it.
I've tried restarting windows installer in services, I also have tried typing in cmd MSIEXEC /UNREGISTER, MSIEXEC /REGSERVER.

EDIT:Now I have Amd Chipset Software in my programs, but when i want to uninstall it i get an error "cannot continue because files are missing", when i go to amd site they advice to just install newest chipset but i cant install them coz i get error explained above...

Any help?

Last edited:
You might have to uninstall all AMD software (chipset drivers and GPU drivers) then cleanup, first using the AMD Cleanup Utility, then Display Driver Uninstaller. Then re-install the chipset drivers...download only from the AMD support web site...and then the GPU drivers obtained from the same web site.

If chipset drivers or display drivers won't uninstall then just go straight to the AMD cleanup uitilty and then DDU.

ovelionnn

Commendable
Dec 3, 2020
So i did everything you told me, i even used the microsoft tool to uninstall amd chiset drivers at the beginning and at the end even a bit of regedit. I tried to install chipset drivers first, and again the same windows error showed: "this action is only valid for products that are installed"

BUT i've waited a bit and the installer showed that it installed successfully, somehow idk. I hope it is all alright now but is there a way to look it up? I mean i have amd chipset software installed but can i somehow look into device manager if the chipset drivers are installed ?

So i did everything you told me, i even used the microsoft tool to uninstall amd chiset drivers at the beginning and at the end even a bit of regedit. I tried to install chipset drivers first, and again the same windows error showed: "this action is only valid for products that are installed"

BUT i've waited a bit and the installer showed that it installed successfully, somehow idk. I hope it is all alright now but is there a way to look it up? I mean i have amd chipset software installed but can i somehow look into device manager if the chipset drivers are installed ?
Best way to know if they installed is to check driver versions in device manager for each device but that's a bit difficult.

I've munged up my registry and the chipset driver installer would fail on me too. You can also install each component individually: go to the AMD folder in the system drive root, then Chipset_Software/Binaries. The installer always unpacks the driver package into there even if it fails to install. Those folders are the individual component driver packages, go into each component driver folder, the W11X64 folder has the package for Windows 11 64 bit OS, right click on the .INF file and then select INSTALL. It will install the driver.

I don't know exactly what happens but eventually, maybe after a few Windows updates, the registry gets fixed and it works again. There's also an interesting README in most of folders. As it turns out, many of the drivers are NUL drivers that Microsoft wants for the devices which sounds like they don't do anything.

Last edited: