AMD Clears the Air Around Project FreeSync

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

10% is a joke. That can be done regularly with driver updates, check the notes for all the drivers of the past. Many games get MORE than this from both sides. Mantle was built to help their lacking cpus vs. Intel. All reviews have made the same comment regarding how much you get from high end stuff (NOT MUCH). Is a talking point when all the reviews say the same thing?

"The gains at the high end aren’t worth writing home about, but since we need the CPU to churn out a fairly high framerate regardless, there’s a much greater opportunity to benefit from Mantle on lower end Intel CPUs and AMD’s CPUs/APUs."
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7868/evaluating-amds-trueaudio-and-mantle-thief
They love AMD (portal and all, no NV portal etc), and they still said it. No different than anywhere else.

http://www.techspot.com/review/793-thief-battlefield-4-mantle-performance/page2.html
Less than 10% unless apu used.
"For the most part, when using the R9 290X we saw less than a 10% performance gain with Mantle, 5% being more accurate."
Again, a driver update can do this easily. Why write code for this type of perf when gamers are not buying the low end in most cases. It was to help the cpus do a better job of competing with Intel. Especially APU since they seem to be out of the cpu race. I wonder how long AMD can pay to get this supported. $8mil to dice/ea shows it isn't that cheap.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidias-tba-dx11-will-be-better-than-mantle.html
It's pretty clear what you can do even with DX11 and a driver update. Star Swarm was the mantle showcase, massively spamming the screen with objects etc. But NV wins now? ;) Thief too? You can see they are showing 3 driver revs and each gets a pretty massive increase from the 331's at just over 40fps to well over 60fps of the beta's and in doing so topping mantle on 290x. Kind of pointless IMHO as AMD's way requires EVERY game to be coded for it, while if they would have just spent all that R&D on drivers that affected everything (like NV) running dx or opengl, they would have been better off.

Truckinupga

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012

You make a very good point. I never really believed it would be free in the end anyways. But if it were NV's tech alone then it would be unaffordable to most, I love Nvidia GPUs and thats all I use but I'll admit that they really love to stick it to you on their prices.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

I like cheap stuff too, and am currently using a radeon 5850, mostly due to the great temps of this particular card, and I got a smoking deal from amazon $260 when they were going for $310+ (amazon just took 7 months to give them to 450+ backorders and tons of complaints...LOL - priced to low at pre-order so they switched model# hoping we'd all give up). But if you look at their earnings NV isn't screwing us at all and hasn't been since 2007.

http://investing.money.msn.com/investments/financial-statements?symbol=US%3aNVDA
10yrs summary of their earnings. Note the 800mil in jan 2008 (which is the 2007 year of earnings). Note now they only make ~ half that and haven't hit 800mil since 2007. Also note of that 450mil they make now, 300mil is Intel's money each year given due to the lawsuit. So really they're making $150 mil, which is a FAR cry from income of 2007 right? So if they're screwing us all, how come they aren't making MORE than 2007, especially with intel giving them 300mil every year?
http://www.nvidia.fr/object/nvidia-intel-licensing-fees-20110111-fr.html
Details of the 5yrs of payments totaling 1.5Billion.

I say NEITHER side is charging NEAR what they should be, which is why both are basically making nothing. $150mil is not 800mil correct? AMD has lost $6billion in 10yrs.
http://investing.money.msn.com/investments/financial-statements?symbol=amd

If we want these two to survive they better either stretch out cycles MUCH longer (say new cards every 3yrs giving them more time to milk the expensive R&D) or they just need to charge higher prices period. The math doesn't lie, and neither does the financial reports. We are screwing them...LOL. Their price war is screwing each other. What you get today is phenomenal for the price at any range compared to 2007, R&D costs have went through the roof in those years since then, and they aren't getting anywhere near what they used to despite having a MUCH larger market of gpu users to sell too. Translation: Far more products sold (NV set records last year) but 1/5 the earnings (or worse for AMD) means you aren't charging enough. I can say I hate high prices, but I can't say they are charging too much. The profits (or lack of them) say the complete opposite. They need to stop revving yearly and maybe they'd do better without adding to our pricing. That sucks too but better slow tech than not being able to afford a card right?

Again, not an advocate for high pricing or anything, just saying neither makes what they used to so they can't be charging too much. Also note NV's R&D has gone up in the last 3yrs from ~850mil to 1.33B.
http://investing.money.msn.com/investments/stock-income-statement/?symbol=US%3aNVDA
AMD's has went down, but that's expected when they're doing so poorly financially, forcing layoffs (30% of the workforce in the last 3-4yrs) etc. It's also why their drivers are going into phase3, put out a bad 290x etc. They clearly need more for R&D as they now are behind NV in spending on it.

I hope they have a good quarter today, but doubtful with Intel having such a good Q on the PC side (mobile lost 1.1B...LOL, but the PC side was very strong). If intel had strong sales, I doubt AMD got any extra from this as it was mostly business related sales due to shutting down xp support and causing business to jump. Most of that market is INTEL only. Console sales have massively slowed (off more than 50% for xbox1/ps4 at last check, probably worse now 3 months later, we're about to find out either from AMD news or sony/ms sales numbers soon for this Q), and home users haven't exactly starting a buying craze of PCs. It's just business which AMD never steals anything from Intel. Mining craze is over, and some channel checks rumored they were really overstocked on gpus at retail (thus cutting production instead of price), so that won't be good. I would be surprised by a good AMD Q (meaning over 100mil NET) and actually expect a very bad Q though they'll surely say "but the pain is over now and we're on track to do good things" yet again.

It's like Intel Q when losing 1.1B on mobile (which could be profits if they just quit and fabbed everybody's stuff). They made 50mil in mobile revenue and are "on track" to sell 40mil soc chips for tablets. So they sold 1.15B worth of mobile crap, but managed to lose 1.1B on it. So you're PAYING people to just take the chips please and please use them for the love of god please use our crappy chips...LOL. That isn't a good sign and most think they won't have anything near competitive until 2016 (so another $8Bil in losses over 2yrs). If the PC side wasn't so strong (pc/server/dc) they'd be really hurting profits wise. They got a temp business pop, but I expect that to stop soon and we'll see ARM do to desktops exactly what they did to notebooks (stole 21% of ALL notebooks already). When 64bit and androidL hit by xmas some low-end desktops will surely go just like notebooks. Most just browse, get mail and run casual games. You don't need wintel for that at all, just MS just announce thousands of layoffs. Intel has an empty fab here in AZ. The writing is on the wall for anyone looking (and it isn't saying good stuff...ROFL). It's just a question of how much can android/steamos etc take from wintel. Android is screwing both, while steamos just hurts MS over time at least until it gets ported to ARM by NV or Valve (or both). At that point some gamers can leave too as steam games already run on linux and are being ported as fast as Valve can, so a port to arm isn't hard after that as they both run opengl.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
"Our transformation strategy is on track" Just as I predicted they say, even though they lost another 38mil and shares down .81 cents, 17.7% drop in stock price after hours. Conference call going now (must be bad, was 62c down before they talked), haven't figured out what was weak yet, but suspect consoles/cpus, while gpus are a question. If channel checks are right, they could be bad also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS