AMD Compatibility?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I'd stay away from ThermalTake if I were you...their Orb series has a history of crushing cores.

The Dragon Orb 3 is supposed to have a great clip. I've seen several reviewers rave about it.

Also, a good friend of mine has been running Pro Tools on his Tbird for quite a while. Works great, no patches, etc. It's a very, very common misconception, though.

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
matisaro, I'm still waiting on that link, prove to me that techtv ran pro tool on a Athlon system,(and I'm not talking about pro tools free, it runs on anything) surely techtv has a website describing or even recomending what they had used.

find it and I'll give you props, otherwise stfu.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AmDmElTdOwN on 08/21/01 07:35 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Actually, as of 5.1.1, DigiDesign doesn't state one way or the other whether Athlons are compatible or incompatible. <A HREF="http://www.digidesign.com/compato/mainfreewin.html" target="_new">They state that the K6 series and the K7 (Slot A) has been problematic for ProTools Free, yet the Athlon is reported to work.</A>

(Hmmm...didn't you say ProTools Free works with anything? Yet another sign that you are full of sh|t. :lol: )

Interesting that they also state that for <A HREF="http://www.digidesign.com/compato/maindigi001win.html" target="_new">Digi 001+ProTools LE</A>, the Athlon is even a <b>highly recommended platform.</b>

As for the TechTV bit, you are in no position to be telling Matisaro to "stfu." I trust him more than I trust you. Hell, I'm sure just about everyone on this board would trust Robert Tilton rather more than they trust you. :tongue: The burden of proof's on you this time.

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
dude, when I say Amd systems I mean the Amd platform, and like I;ve been saying for the longest time: sure it might work sure there are a handfull of success stories, but the fact is that it should work straight "out of the box" period, spin this all you want because the last thing a recording studio wants is a headache from AMD/Via combo.

<i>"Known Incompatibilities
Caution - Pro Tools LE does NOT support the following systems or systems with the following components:

Hewlett Packard Pavillion line of computers
AMD K6, K6-2 or K6-III, K7 processor based computers
Original Pentium processor based computers (Pentium I)

<b>Computers with motherboards containing mixed chipsets from AMD plus VIA combined</b>

Laptop Computers
"ESS Solo-1 PCI AudioDrive" Sound, video and game controller. This device can be disabled from the "Device Manager" in the "System" Control Panel."</i>

also, these are updated docs and the 5.1.1 patch is still problematic with AMD system(Amd platform) even the P4 is not validated yet! but it will be soon be! muhahaha!

bottom line, digidesign does not put out garbage like VIA does and quite frankly not a lot of studio ppl know about hardware and rarely have time to fiddle with this driver and that driver, VIA retarded Irq's! they need it to work right there and then("time is money!")or it's back to the old analog mixing boards hehe nothing wrong with analog, or even worst, they'll switch to cubase! LOL!

just for the record, I never mentioned AMD cpu. also you should really read my original post before jumping in like you know wtf your talking about, your link just shows how much a F**k'n zealot and a F**k'n troll your are.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
prove that TechTV ran pro tool on an Athlon system
It's the CPU you seem to doubt. Plus, you keep saying "AMD platform" like the only course for AMD users is VIA hardware. You should know quite well that's BS--but oh wait, BS is your specialty, LoL. :lol:

also, these are updated docs and the 5.1.1 patch is still problematic with AMD system(Amd platform)
"These are updated docs" means that means they're the latest available info, so I don't see how this helps your argument. Plus, they <i>"highly recommend"</i> Thunderbird CPUs with some of this stuff. That hurts your argument more than it helps it. :tongue:

just for the record, I never mentioned AMD cpu.

Ahem, the only thing common to all "AMD platforms" is the "AMD CPU." <i>Not</i> Via. Even if you didn't mention "AMD CPU," it's implicit and you know it.

your link just shows how much a F**k'n zealot and a F**k'n troll your are.
*shrugs* Here we go again: pot, kettle. 'Nuff said.

AMD's success seems to bother you a great deal. I wonder why? :lol:

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Thanks kelledin, I just foudn that link after recieving his reply in my email, and you beat me to the punch.

as for you amdmeltdown, notice the next incompatability on your list, whats that! A PENTIUM, so intel systems suck too? is that what youre saying?

Go away troll.

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
The newer series don't have that problem (that arised because the initial orb design was for socket 370 not socket A). And it seems that the Dragon3 is a very good performer (excellent for the price).

How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Frist off AmdMeltdown. You need to go back to school. Or are you another 14 year who thinks she know it all. I have one of the frist Amd athlon classic. No problems at all. One thing I did have tech books to solve problems. Do you have any.

I have sound blaster live works Great.

Hay How is INTEL going to work with VIA?????
Or in your mind Perfect????

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Why is that people always assume that high school students are always arrogant immature brats who have nothing better to do than write spam? I'm 15 and I take great offence in that. Granted I'm somewhat more mature than the average person my age but hey, that's why I'm called a geek. :smile:

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"No problems at all" what are you saying here? no problems with what? (_)pro tools (_)pro tools Le (_)pro tools free

which one? oh, that's right! you're running a cheap soundcard so it must be PTfree! works great dont it? thats because it's made to work for any soundcard silly! now spend $800 for a digi system(soundcard, DI, pro tools le) and guess what? it won't work with your slotA system.

have you tried recording with ptfree yet?

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>notice the next incompatatability on your list, whats that! A PENTIUM, so intel systems suck too?

matiriso, it says an *ORIGINAL PENTIUM* Pentiums from 60 up to 233MHz I believe, far too slow for audio processing and yeah it would suck.

hopes this clears up your confusion.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>just dont listen to this guy him and others claim lies

ok, if you say so, I won't listen to him anymore. LOL!

FatBurger

Illustrious
no problems with what?
(X)pro tools
(_)pro tools Le
(_)pro tools free

Put me down for one problem-free Athlon running the above choice.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>(X)pro tools
>Put me down for on problem-free Athlon running the above choice.

this is not possible, you see pro tool runs off *hardware*, ex:pro Tools | 24 MIX is totally dependent upon highend proprietary audiocard, toolbox again this comes with AudiomediaIII audiocard does not work with any other soundcard.

Pro tools Mix|24 runs from $8000 - $12.000 US runs on NT or Mac only.
Pro tools Le tool box is around $499 some places less than $400 come with AudiomediaIII
Pro tools Digi 001 runs about $899 also comes with Audiomedia and DI box.
Pro tools free, is just that-free! runs on any soundcard, downloadable from digidesign.

so you see you can not be running Pro tools or PTLE, maybe Ptfree or maybe you're just confused.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
How come 486's etc werent listed?
Didnt clear up my confusion, the place to put that ifno is in the min sys requirements, NOT the incompatabilities list, buddy.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What Im am doing is pointing at is the Arrogant immature brat amdmeltdown and his twin are. And I can say this they could not be geeks for they can't get there head out of there rear. There way of thinking is this. My machine is better then yours. And what the people with amd is trying to say is this. If you know how to work on a computer and such. You will have no problem and you can run every program and hardware. Which has been proven over and over.

Hay I can say this I had a tech tell me Before I got a ATi TV card that it will not work on my system. Boy that one Dumb tech. I have no problems at all. I can Watch tv on one monitor and play games on the other monitor.

That will tell you one thing. How dumb some people (Tech) are.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>How come 486's etc werent listed?

do I have to answer this? pro tools originally ran on the MAC, then came to the pc after pentiums2's and 3's were widely available. Pt5.0 and PtLe5.0 were first to run on a pc(Nt and win98), afaik.

LOL! I logged on to see what fatty had to say, hehe, now I know you guys are f**k'n clueless.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
A cpu too slow to run a program iS NOT LISTED on the incompatabilities list, but it is showon on the min sys requirements duur.

Your point is about as valid as you are....IE. NOT!

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

FatBurger

Illustrious
Meltdown, as I stated before, I don't run Pro Tools. A friend of mine does. He runs the real thing, not one of the cheesy versions. I can't answer for him though, so I won't.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ok, didn't see the "a friend of mine" post, my bad! :) well all I can say is your "friend" made a wise choice with Pro Tools, it's a great product, it's a standard, almost every grammy award winner uses Pro Tools.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>A cpu too slow to run a program IS NOT LISTED on the incompatabilities list, but it is showon on the min sys requirements duur

ok, dude you win! a 486 is the min to run Pro Tools. have fun. bye!

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yeah, no joke. It rocks.
I don't use it though, since I do live sound (FoH, monitors), haven't really done any studio work.

It's nice for computer nerds to have a way to get into the credits on a CD, though :)

Wait a second...why is "friend" in quotes?

<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by FatBurger on 08/23/01 09:38 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Thankyou, thats all im saying, if protools is incompatable with k62 and k63 then it also is incompatable with the pentium pro, which means that you cant fault amd for that unless you fault intel as well.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

G

that screensavers tv show sucks

i mean sucks bad

its a shame to watch them and go back to ur pc
those fools are so foolish

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--