AMD Completes Sale of Singapore Facility to HSBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Actually, the APU line is competitive at their price points. Intel don't just sell Core i7 chips, they have i5, i3, Pentium, Atom and all have respectable and healthy markets, in those markets the AMD APUs give serious competition and add vastly more impressive graphics performance - just because they aren't pushing out the $1000 superchips that less than 1% of the market actually buys does not mean they have a bad product

No2rdame

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Meh, it's all a matter of accounting. It doesn't necessarily mean anything. This is why many companies lease their buildings rather then buy outright.

f-14

Distinguished
@No2rdame what owning vs. leasing is about is freeing up capital to do other things with in the case of best buy when they sold all their properties and only had 180 stores it allowed them to lease more properties and open another 240 stores, and then another 180 once those stores revenue streams came online and they were able to move right into circuit city's home town and crush circuit city the same way america did the soviet union with financial change and ruin.

circuit city's problem was it expanded so much it had most of it's extra capital tied up in property and not a large enough base of users as loyal as apple users to handle the loss of income in it's home territories as well.

apple is the exception, not the norm. a well placed virus and a few key marketing moves and microsoft could end up owning any apple stock not owned by apple employees.

but that would bring up that pesky anti trust legislation again at some point.

AMD was forcibly given access to intels code right up until P2 as part of such anti trust legislation from the 1980's as intel squashed and or ate the last of it's competitors.

now just what AMD is going to do with this freed up capital is something i am curious about, is it going to use it to continue to further fund current operations or invest in a memory controller or memory bus development or expand production facilities or upgrade other production facilities idk.

somehow i can't help amd are doing this so they can report they will have profit this quarter since they already promised a few quarters ago that Q3 2013 is the time the company will start earning positive revenue again

No2rdame

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013

Are you saying you'd be okay with them going under and Intel being the only major CPU manufacturer? I, for one, wouldn't welcome this as lack of competition would only make it worse for consumers.

Status
Not open for further replies.