News AMD: Confident in Our Suppliers, Set to Grow in 2022

lastguytom

Commendable
Nov 23, 2018
AMD has screwed the people who wanted to just upgrade their GPUs, Tom's Hard Article on the 6700 mining card Answers the Question. AMD is using its wafflers for mining cards for minor instead of GPUs for gamers. (Tom's Hardware deleted my last comment, they must hate the truth)

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
I don't like this situation either, but I believe AMD is doing the best they can to grow faster, considering their size, while fighting 2 Goliath size opponents: Intel and nvidia.

People need to realize that AMD still is much smaller than any of those 2 companies and they also fight against them both.

They had 2 options of doing things:
  1. As they did before the Zen success and 1st Zen, which is best bang for buck and the budget option for everyone, but risk losing on the long run, because growth would be minimal.
  2. As they are doing now, capitalizing on the best performance they ever had in both CPUs and GPUs, by charging a lot more, even premium, so they can grow and get bigger faster to be able to fight those 2 giants.
AMD cannot be the underdog, the smaller company and have the best products and the best prices and also be able to fight Intel and nvidia at the same time. It's unreasonable to demand that.

If you ask that from AMD, you should also ask the same from Intel and nvidia, and every other tech company for that matter. Guess why you don't see anyone being able to pull that trick? Because it's impossible, you can't have all positives and no negatives in one company.

People need to think realistically and not have fantasies that will never happen.

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
Excellent article!--it proves, as I have always believed, that miners and bots were not the problem with the GPU production shortages--so it's either yields or FAB space (or both) that has been the major factor in the RX-6k GPU shortages of the last eight months. The AMD store (US) has been fully stocked with Zen3 CPUs for many weeks, now, all selling at MSRP, so looks like the materials shortages are a thing of the past. But at this rate I might be waiting on RDNA3 for my next GPU!

Steam surveys don't count for much, as we've noted before--but people still keep pretending Steam survey percentages from month to month mean something substantial. Jon Peddie always does estimates--he does not get his numbers from either AMD or nVidia--because they do not give them out--and Peddie has a habit of mixing his discrete GPU sales estimates in with his APU/IGP sales estimates, etc. And so it looks as if AMD is more or less experiencing major growing pains! The company is growing by leaps and bounds with no end in sight! Glad to see it--but I want my GPU, AMD...;)

Apr 1, 2020
AMD has been incredibly lucky ever since the first generation Ryzen chips hit shelves in that Intel has been stymied by fab problems, and soon after the cryptocurrency explosion meant every GPU they could make was able to be sold.

Let Intel get back into form and crypto to crash and we will see how many more times they will have to double cross customers in order to keep shifting products.

And yes, I am still extremely sore about being an X370 owner...

Reactions: Krotow
AMD is limited only by the wafer starts they can get from TSMC.
They already have obligations for Xbox and PS consoles, contracts for a few super computers.
Their CPUs for server, workstation kill Intel chips . Their high end desktop CPUs equal or beat Intel in performance. And all use a lot less power than Intel.
Yields at TSMC are very good. There are not many low quality chips being produced.
They would be stupid to disable good cores to make lower end SKUs at this time.
We will eventually get limited quantity lower end chips from lower quality binned chips.

Because of AMD's success Intel chips are at historical low prices for their high end SKUs.
Intel has become the budget gamer chip.

Reactions: gg83 and Jim90

lastguytom

Commendable
Nov 23, 2018
I don't like this situation either, but I believe AMD is doing the best they can to grow faster, considering their size, while fighting 2 Goliath size opponents: Intel and Nvidia.

People need to realize that AMD still is much smaller than any of those 2 companies, and they also fight against them both.

They had 2 options of doing things:
  1. As they did before the Zen success and 1st Zen, which is the best bang for buck and the budget option for everyone, but risk losing in the long run, because growth would be minimal.
  2. As they are doing now, capitalizing on the best performance they ever had in both CPUs and GPUs, by charging a lot more, even premium, so they can grow and get bigger faster to be able to fight those 2 giants.
AMD cannot be the underdog, the smaller company and have the best products and the best prices and also be able to fight Intel and Nvidia at the same time. It's unreasonable to demand that.

If you ask that from AMD, you should also ask the same from Intel and Nvidia, and every other tech company for that matter. Guess why you don't see anyone being able to pull that trick? Because it's impossible, you can't have all positives and no negatives in one company.

People need to think realistically and not have fantasies that will never happen.
I reached 64 yrs this year. I understand, AMD got to reach financials goal, but they are sacrificing the people like me WHO supported them for years. Furthermore, I have guys who mine, they told me if you want to get AMD cards, go to this so-called mining GPU seller buy it with cryptocurrency.
(that is another story). Let's say I got GPU cards for my friend build but i had to go Nvidia to get his builds done, i told him i was sorry, but at least has a pc for him and his son are done. AMD sacrifice profit for market share. My friend's son is only going to remember that his 1st PC used Nvidia, and that will carry over to his friend's and his children. AMD made their financial goals, but sacrificed the future of their Radeon division. Intel is entering the GPU arena AMD should not sacrifice rep for a few bucks

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
I reached 64 yrs this year. I understand, AMD got to reach financials goal, but they are sacrificing the people like me WHO supported them for years. Furthermore, I have guys who mine, they told me if you want to get AMD cards, go to this so-called mining GPU seller buy it with cryptocurrency.
(that is another story). Let's say I got GPU cards for my friend build but i had to go Nvidia to get his builds done, i told him i was sorry, but at least has a pc for him and his son are done. AMD sacrifice profit for market share. My friend's son is only going to remember that his 1st PC used Nvidia, and that will carry over to his friend's and his children. AMD made their financial goals, but sacrificed the future of their Radeon division. Intel is entering the GPU arena AMD should not sacrifice rep for a few bucks
I understand your pain, but like I said above, if they were to go the popular cheaper way, they would be dead financially in 5 years...

They had to go this way to not only keep fighting, but to get bigger and stronger so they can fight better vs 2 giants.

You would have cheered for great prices now, but would you have liked AMD to be bankrupt or insignificant in 5 years time? Would that be better? We had that happen in the past already.

I don't want that to happen again, AMD does not want it either, so we got this compromise option instead.

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
AMD has been incredibly lucky ever since the first generation Ryzen chips hit shelves in that Intel has been stymied by fab problems, and soon after the cryptocurrency explosion meant every GPU they could make was able to be sold.

Let Intel get back into form and crypto to crash and we will see how many more times they will have to double cross customers in order to keep shifting products.

And yes, I am still extremely sore about being an X370 owner...

No luck involved--while AMD was burning the midnight oil for five years designing Ryzen & EPYC, etc., Intel was lazing around doing business as usual, selling rewarmed architectures and raking in the dough, secure in the belief that it had no high-end competition in the x86 compatible CPU markets and never would. And AMD zoomed right past them like they were sitting still--which Intel was literally doing, actually. No luck involved--not even close. AMD shot right past Intel on one-tenth of the R&D expenditure. Intel didn't have any FAB problems until suddenly it couldn't keep up with AMD/TSMC because it was sitting still there, too. Until then, Intel had thought its FABs were just fine. It's always amusing to hear people say they think AMD was just "lucky"--like the company found the designs for Ryzen, et al, at the bottom of a Cracker Jack box--or won them in a lottery, etc...;)

Conversely, Intel wasn't "unlucky," either...AMD passed them by (again) because the company was sitting still instead of doing what AMD was doing on a fraction of the resources--burning the midnight oil for years before the first Ryzen shipped. I'm not even sure Intel knows how to do that...I'm an x370, x470, x570 owner who is very happy with his 1600/3600X/3900X. Good for AMD--they deserve their success and more. And luck had nothing to do with it far as I can see.

thanny

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
The Steam hardware survey fails to identify 6000-series cards correctly. It does not show what this article claims it shows. All it shows is that Valve needs to fix its hardware detection.

If you ask that from AMD, you should also ask the same from Intel and nvidia, and every other tech company for that matter. Guess why you don't see anyone being able to pull that trick? Because it's impossible, you can't have all positives and no negatives in one company.

nvidia actually compete very well on low end/mid range vs AMD. they are not the values king on that segment but most often nvidia end up being the reason AMD have to drop price. the only problem is nvidia were uncontested on the high end by AMD for several years. the margin on the mid range and lower are smaller due to much fierce competition but nvidia able to regain their revenue from the high end sales which is not really the case for AMD. in 2016 JPR gaming hardware papers shows that the most revenue are being made on high end hardware sales not mid range hardware sales. that's why back in 2016 AMD try to enter that luxury segment with their Vega Frontier, a segment that has been dominated by nvidia titans.

right now AMD is in better position than they were years before but along with that they also different problem to solve. now one of AMD biggest concern is on how to keep investor keep on investing on the company and raise it's stock price. investor want to see better margin going forward that's mean AMD can't make mid range product end up dragging the company profit margin down. that's why we see 5600X end up being more expensive instead of replacing 3600X position in pricing like majority of people had expected. and then RX6600XT end up starting at $380 despite AMD doing all they can to cut corners on that card's spec to reduce cost.

going forward don't be surprise if AMD end up letting go console contracts so the company can give more space towards making more profitable product. when you think about it having to give 80% their 7nm capacity to console is quite absurd. and it might be the same same with 5nm when sony and MS doing their mid cycle upgrades.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
going forward don't be surprise if AMD end up letting go console contracts so the company can give more space towards making more profitable product. when you think about it having to give 80% their 7nm capacity to console is quite absurd. and it might be the same same with 5nm when sony and MS doing their mid cycle upgrades.
I agree with this and it is possible and also understandable to happen, unless because of the continuous growing of the console market gen to gen, it will be so big by the time PS6/Xbox whatervername will come (not talking about mid refresh, but next gen) that AMD will still think is very profitable to make APUs for them.

The thing is by that time Intel should be good on GPU side too, so anything can happen, like a new gen of console(s) with Intel+Intel inside... who knows...

I agree with this and it is possible and also understandable to happen, unless because of the continuous growing of the console market gen to gen, it will be so big by the time PS6/Xbox whatervername will come (not talking about mid refresh, but next gen) that AMD will still think is very profitable to make APUs for them.

The thing is by that time Intel should be good on GPU side too, so anything can happen, like a new gen of console(s) with Intel+Intel inside... who knows...

the problem is console maker most likely want to make the deal to be the most beneficial for them. this is one of the reason why nvidia have a bit of issues doing contracts with console maker although giving them all to their competitors like AMD also will also affect them negatively on PC like what happen to kepler. in fact it even impacting maxwell and pascal to certain extend.

on console maker side they did not want to look like AMD are the only one that is capable giving what they want. because if they look like that then AMD can give more pressure towards them and asking for more expensive price because AMD are the only company have the tech needed by them. this is probably why DX12 ultimate is all about features that nvidia try to push with turing; DXR, sampler feedback, VRS and mesh shaders. AMD have primitive shaders since vega which should be similar to nvidia mesh shaders but why MS end up choosing nvidia mesh shaders over AMD primitive shaders? this is probably MS way of telling AMD that they wiling to work with other hardware provider if AMD not wiling to give them the deal that they want.

so in the future if AMD deem dealing with console maker will only going to limit or even hinder their revenue growth going forward they might let it go. they might try to keep at least one console maker under their belt but not every one of them. intel probably very much interested to fill the void left by AMD because if they can win a console contract then they can hit nvidia the hardest that way.

Reactions: VforV

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
the problem is console maker most likely want to make the deal to be the most beneficial for them. this is one of the reason why nvidia have a bit of issues doing contracts with console maker although giving them all to their competitors like AMD also will also affect them negatively on PC like what happen to kepler. in fact it even impacting maxwell and pascal to certain extend.

on console maker side they did not want to look like AMD are the only one that is capable giving what they want. because if they look like that then AMD can give more pressure towards them and asking for more expensive price because AMD are the only company have the tech needed by them. this is probably why DX12 ultimate is all about features that nvidia try to push with turing; DXR, sampler feedback, VRS and mesh shaders. AMD have primitive shaders since vega which should be similar to nvidia mesh shaders but why MS end up choosing nvidia mesh shaders over AMD primitive shaders? this is probably MS way of telling AMD that they wiling to work with other hardware provider if AMD not wiling to give them the deal that they want.

so in the future if AMD deem dealing with console maker will only going to limit or even hinder their revenue growth going forward they might let it go. they might try to keep at least one console maker under their belt but not every one of them. intel probably very much interested to fill the void left by AMD because if they can win a console contract then they can hit nvidia the hardest that way.
Imagine the console war, if one console has AMD tech and the other has Intel tech... what we have now is nothing compared to then... fun times ahead.

I could see PS remaining with AMD, and MS going with Intel, considering they are so "tight" now with Win11 and Alder Lake...