AMD Confirms Departure Of Graphics Chief Raja Koduri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick_Bateman

Reputable
Nov 19, 2015
This isn't surprising. Raja just didn't have a good reputation after the Vega launch. Sure, it's great for compute, but it undelivered due to HBM2 underperforming, which bottlenecks the enitre chip. I get almost 20% gains just from overclocking the memory.

It was said that Raja would come out of his long leave with exciting new announcements for 2018 regarding both zen and Radeon, instead, we get this sad news...

But all is not lost https://wccftech.com/exclusive-raja-koduri-will-seeking-new-horizons-intel/amp/ TH, do a follow up!

AMD needed a change, Raja may have not have delivered but then again AMD didn't fund RTG worth a damn. Now that they have some much needed cash maybe they can stop outsourcing to save costs in the RTG group so darn much and get the best people for the job.

Will we see him at Intel soon?

fehl83

Prominent
Nov 8, 2017
This combined with the recent expert analyst prediction that AMD goes bankrupt by 2020 scares me.

The best product delivered by AMD RTG was the 290x and he was barely involved in it. I feel more confident in Lisa taking care of RTG. At least, it means that Navi will be a priority.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

Don't think the timing of the joint announcement that Intel is using AMD graphics chips is a coincidence. It very well could have been a condition to allow this immediate movement from AMD to Intel.

Anandtech is reporting that Intel is going to start developing highend dGPU's with Raja as the head. With Intel's financial muscle, this could be the only real threat to Nvidia down the road.

He is in California and I assume will be reporting to the California office for Intel. No such thing as non-competes in California, they are all void there.

Status
Not open for further replies.