News AMD confirms Ryzen AI 300 PCs won't feature Copilot+ features at launch — will arrive via Windows Update later this year

prollie

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2015
Why would I pay on the order of $750 for a new motherboard, RAM, and CPU for AI features I've no need for?
And which ($750) motherboard, RAM and CPU would that be? - Ryzen AI (300)-series are laptop chips.

Whether or not you'll have to pay any significant premium for those over comparable models with "non-AI" Zen 5 mobile chips remain to be seen. But so does this supposed fantastic laptop of yours in which you *don't* have to change motherboard (and RAM) to upgrade your CPU, as long as it "doesn't have AI" in it.

And in case you wanna refer to desktop CPUs and APUs with AI accellerators in them, those use the same AM5 motherboards and DDR5 RAM as any other "non-AI" chip of the current Zen 4 and next coming few generations (Zen 5, Zen 6).

If Intel desktop is more your jam it's not very much different there. If you want to upgrade to the coming Arrow Lake you are gonna need a new motherboard (new socket again, LGA1851 this time) and you're gonna need DDR5 RAM (no support for DDR4) - regardless of whether or not you get a CPU with AI accelerators onboard or not.

If you're using anything with DDR4 right now, then if you wanna upgrade to the new stuff from either Intel or AMD, you *will* have to buy both a new motherboard and new DDR5 RAM. But that has nothing to do with AI. It will be the same if you get a CPU or APU without AI.

Reactions: KnightShadey
And which ($750) motherboard, RAM and CPU would that be? - Ryzen AI (300)-series are laptop chips.

Whether or not you'll have to pay any significant premium for those over comparable models with "non-AI" Zen 5 mobile chips remain to be seen. But so does this supposed fantastic laptop of yours in which you *don't* have to change motherboard (and RAM) to upgrade your CPU, as long as it "doesn't have AI" in it.

And in case you wanna refer to desktop CPUs and APUs with AI accellerators in them, those use the same AM5 motherboards and DDR5 RAM as any other "non-AI" chip of the current Zen 4 and next coming few generations (Zen 5, Zen 6).

If Intel desktop is more your jam it's not very much different there. If you want to upgrade to the coming Arrow Lake you are gonna need a new motherboard (new socket again, LGA1851 this time) and you're gonna need DDR5 RAM (no support for DDR4) - regardless of whether or not you get a CPU with AI accelerators onboard or not.

If you're using anything with DDR4 right now, then if you wanna upgrade to the new stuff from either Intel or AMD, you *will* have to buy both a new motherboard and new DDR5 RAM. But that has nothing to do with AI. It will be the same if you get a CPU or APU without AI.

I was talking about desktop chips of course, but it applies to their laptop chips as well since both companies are heavily promoting their AI features with their NPUs: Why would I spend $750+ to upgrade my desktop, or potentially $1000+ on upgrading my laptop if Qualcomm laptops are anything to go by, on a system just for AI, because that's what they're all pushing. They may be betting on Windows 10 support ending and Windows 11 officially requiring Zen+ and newer to push upgrades, but I don't see any reason for people to upgrade -just- for AI and Copilot+ Certification.=

Li Ken-un

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
Yeah, no. This is a good thing. I hope they delay it as long as possible
I’m hoping this means that there will be no CoPilot key on the keyboard. I can choose the keyboard I want for my desktops, but finding a laptop without one might become very hard in a year or so.

Buy the laptops before they’re all infected with CoPilot! 😁

Reactions: slightnitpick
@Alvar "Miles" Udell with that amount of RAM you have. You need to get a 14700 and a ddr4 motherboard :D

I have here a 13600t with ddr4 and it's to good to be true.

Unlike the 14700 all my 16 cores are proper ones, none of that little.BIG nonsense of Intel's 8+12.

But I maxed out my RAM while DDR4 was still cheap and I don't plan to upgrade for the foreseeable future, not as long as an RTX xx80 GPU has four figures in the price.

Reactions: Amdlova

Li Ken-un

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
More and more reason to consider a Framework.
I’d love to cross off every other laptop manufacturer off my list for being bona fide pricks to their customers, but Framework can only do so much, and there are niches which it hasn’t made any inroads into yet.

For one, ECC RAM is a hot topic on the Framework community forums. The Framework Laptop 16 had a long discussion which preceded its release asking about the status of ECC RAM support. It didn’t work out in the end and AMD also flip-flopped on the APU’s ECC support a little later.

HP somehow manages to offer ECC RAM-equipped Intel-based—yes, that same Blue Team which kicked off this stupid market segmentation—laptops using their consumer line of CPUs. But of course, they force you to buy their pre-installed RAM and their pre-installed SSD at exorbitant mark-ups; bare-bones is not an option. I hate them very much for that.