News AMD Continues PC and Server Market Share Gains Amid Slumping Market

D

Deleted member 362816

Good I bought 1,000 shares in 2008. I should have just sold when it was 150< though.

Jimbojan

Honorable
May 17, 2017
I suspect AMD is putting out scam report saying that its sale is still growing while Intel and NVDA own 80% of their respective market share to report sale slowdown by a large volume. Did you not remember WorldCom or wells Fargo a few years back? When everyone else reported sale down , both Worldcom and wells Fargo reported sale gain, it turns out it was a scam, cooking their books. Will it be the same for AMD now? It is really suspicious as Intel's Alder Lake CPU and server chips were outperforming AMD's parts, and at a lower price.

I hate myself for even thinking this, but... The best thing that could happen to Intel is China attacking Taiwan, or making it so that it renders the whole zone a no-transit area. And I have to say they're fairly close to that now.

I wonder how AMD and nVidia are preparing for that?

Regards.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I suspect AMD is putting out scam report saying that its sale is still growing while Intel and NVDA own 80% of their respective market share to report sale slowdown by a large volume. Did you not remember WorldCom or wells Fargo a few years back? When everyone else reported sale down , both Worldcom and wells Fargo reported sale gain, it turns out it was a scam, cooking their books. Will it be the same for AMD now? It is really suspicious as Intel's Alder Lake CPU and server chips were outperforming AMD's parts, and at a lower price.

You sound like a UserBenchmark editorial/review.

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
You sound like a UserBenchmark editorial/review.

I had to compliment you on that line, King_V! It is indeed, just like one...;) A "scam report".....hilarious...;) Kept me chuckling for a while. It's amusing that people find it difficult to understand that when you have two companies competing in the same or similar markets, and company A goes up while company B goes down, that the likely reason for B's loss is A's gain. It's sort of silly to think that when Intel drops AMD should drop, too, or something is up...;) It's like saying that when AMD goes up so should Intel, which we can see by the last quarter's results is surely not true.

Jimbojan should know that when companies issue these quarterlies the penalty for fraud is severe and would likely put company officers behind bars, at Intel or at AMD or at Apple, etc. You have to tell the truth, and nothing but the truth, in these quarterlies. You've also got investors waiting and watching to sue a company if they feel that the results have been fudged, etc. Unfortunately, Userbencmark staff won't go to jail for fibbing and making false statements, etc. But the officers at Intel and AMD certainly run the risk of prison if they lie or try to "scam" their investors. Jimbojan, a "scam" is certainly not what you are seeing here...;)

Reactions: Nick_C and King_V

Samipini

Prominent
Apr 3, 2021
I hate myself for even thinking this, but... The best thing that could happen to Intel is China attacking Taiwan, or making it so that it renders the whole zone a no-transit area. And I have to say they're fairly close to that now.

Regards.
AMD and Nvidia Can't do anything. Porting their designs to Samsung takes time, and their nodes are inferior in every way.

Samipini

Prominent
Apr 3, 2021
Selling at 90-200 dollars? I think that is the reason why Intel dropped in the first place. And stop acting like consumer chips is the be all and end all. It is a drop in the bucket compared to Server profits, where Intel is losing badly.

Reactions: prtskg
D

Deleted member 362816

Regards.

You mean how is the world preparing for TSMC Deadman switch in case that happens. It will set everyone including the USA back 25 years. Be careful what you wish for if you enjoy semi conductors in well everything.

Reactions: prtskg

Lorien Silmaril

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2014

Regards.
I would rather Intel goes bankrupt than China attacking Taiwan lol. TSMC is a much better company and deserves the success.

Lorien Silmaril

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2014
I had to compliment you on that line, King_V! It is indeed, just like one...;) A "scam report".....hilarious...;) Kept me chuckling for a while. It's amusing that people find it difficult to understand that when you have two companies competing in the same or similar markets, and company A goes up while company B goes down, that the likely reason for B's loss is A's gain. It's sort of silly to think that when Intel drops AMD should drop, too, or something is up...;) It's like saying that when AMD goes up so should Intel, which we can see by the last quarter's results is surely not true.

Jimbojan should know that when companies issue these quarterlies the penalty for fraud is severe and would likely put company officers behind bars, at Intel or at AMD or at Apple, etc. You have to tell the truth, and nothing but the truth, in these quarterlies. You've also got investors waiting and watching to sue a company if they feel that the results have been fudged, etc. Unfortunately, Userbencmark staff won't go to jail for fibbing and making false statements, etc. But the officers at Intel and AMD certainly run the risk of prison if they lie or try to "scam" their investors. Jimbojan, a "scam" is certainly not what you are seeing here...;)
Intel fanboys are the most hilarious; they can't accept that Intel is doing badly because they have been failing at execution. must be someone else's fault!

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I had to compliment you on that line, King_V! It is indeed, just like one...;)

Thanks... Full disclosure, I knew vaguely that User Benchmark was a comparison/benchmark site, and there was some issue with their benchmark favoring Intel over AMD, but it was only TODAY that I discovered that they had reviews, and exactly what those reviews were like.

Then I saw this post right after, and thought walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and all that...

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
You mean how is the world preparing for TSMC Deadman switch in case that happens. It will set everyone including the USA back 25 years. Be careful what you wish for if you enjoy semi conductors in well everything.
In what way would the world be set back?
Intel either has the better arch than a larger company AMD, or a better node than a much larger company TSMC or both. Zen4 will trail Raptor in ipc and clock speed and may still trail Alder in single core performance and efficiency for 90% of consumer use. How can this be if Intel is so bad? They could make Nvidia's GPUs and AMD could go to Samsung which is still good enough to be manufacturing the top performing GPUs currently.
If there is a market downturn the western world could lose TSMCs production and barely miss a beat. Certainly not lose 25 years. Intel is already first in line for euv na.

Samipini

Prominent
Apr 3, 2021
Intel either has the better arch than a larger company AMD, or a better node than a much larger company TSMC or both. Zen4 will trail Raptor in ipc and clock speed and may still trail Alder in single core performance and efficiency for 90% of consumer use. How can this be if Intel is so bad? They could make Nvidia's GPUs and AMD could go to Samsung which is still good enough to be manufacturing the top performing GPUs currently.
If there is a market downturn the western world could lose TSMCs production and barely miss a beat. Certainly not lose 25 years. Intel is already first in line for euv na.
Tell me how many components are there in a pc? CPU, motherboard, ram, psu, and gpu? well you're mistaken. Each of those contain hundreds or thousands of other parts. And what happens if you're missing a single part like the bios chip, audio, or power management? No PC.
Get out with your intel bs. Intel is nothing without the supply chains it built up.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
Tell me how many components are there in a pc? CPU, motherboard, ram, psu, and gpu? well you're mistaken. Each of those contain hundreds or thousands of other parts. And what happens if you're missing a single part like the bios chip, audio, or power management? No PC.
Get out with your intel bs. Intel is nothing without the supply chains it built up.
Tell me how many of these are made by TSMC and have nowhere else to be made. There are lots of legacy node foundries for the little silicon bits, Intel even made some recent purchases of them.
My point still stands.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
AMD's growth is at the expense of their competitors. This is a zero sum game. On the CPU front, they are clearly chipping away at Intel's market share in retail and in enterprise spaces. And Intel is not only losing sales to AMD, but also to big corporates that are making their own ARM based SOC. The point is that when you have the overwhelming majority of market share in the first place, you have a lot more to lose. AMD may be chipping away single digit % of sales, but it is still growth for them, and a market share lost to Intel.
On the GPU front, I am unsure how well AMD is doing. It is clear however that RDNA2 has emerged to be a worth competitor. As to how they log growth, contrary to what Nvidia reported, I think it may well be due to other businesses, like infotainment systems and consoles? Not sure, just guessing here.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I am not sure if you realized that the bulk of cutting edge technology are manufactured by TSMC and Samsung. Intel as it stands produces mostly their own chips, and yet running into capacity constraints. Therefore, Intel is seeking to expand their fabs rapidly and as a business opportunity to let others produce their chips using their expanded fab. Assuming TSMC stops tomorrow, you can be sure there will be a bad shortage because the slack cannot be immediately and easily picked up by the rest of the fabs. Chips planned for TSMC's node will need to be redesigned to work on Samsung or Intel's node if I am not mistaken. So there will be a transition period, assuming there is sufficient capacity at all to pick up all the slack. Assuming you favor Intel and TSMC goes down, Intel is not going to save you because their existing fab is mostly for their own products. In fact, it is the best time for them to fleece you since you have little choice. Nobody can tell how bad the impact and how long it will last.

Selling at 90-200 dollars? I think that is the reason why Intel dropped in the first place. And stop acting like consumer chips is the be all and end all. It is a drop in the bucket compared to Server profits, where Intel is losing badly.
Where do you come up with that stuff?
For both AMD and Intel consumer is a much bigger market with much higher revenue and income than what Client/datacenter is.

AMD's growth is at the expense of their competitors. This is a zero sum game. On the CPU front, they are clearly chipping away at Intel's market share in retail and in enterprise spaces. And Intel is not only losing sales to AMD, but also to big corporates that are making their own ARM based SOC. The point is that when you have the overwhelming majority of market share in the first place, you have a lot more to lose. AMD may be chipping away single digit % of sales, but it is still growth for them, and a market share lost to Intel.
On the GPU front, I am unsure how well AMD is doing. It is clear however that RDNA2 has emerged to be a worth competitor. As to how they log growth, contrary to what Nvidia reported, I think it may well be due to other businesses, like infotainment systems and consoles? Not sure, just guessing here.
AMD is gaining market share or sales or whatever you want to call it but they are doing it by undercutting prices to the point that they are losing money.
AMD had one record quarter after the other in revenue but they are down 9% net income while intel had terrible quarters but is still making more money that before.

Trying to increase your market share by losing money only works if you can hold out longer than your competition...

Losing market share is only bad if you lose money, if you lose the part of the market that isn't making you any money then it's not that much of an issue.

Macrotrends:
  • AMD net income for the twelve months ending June 30, 2022 was $3.130B, a 8.91% decline year-over-year.
  • Intel net income for the twelve months ending June 30, 2022 was $19.105B, a 2.96% increase year-over-year.

Sippincider

Reputable
Apr 21, 2020

Losing 60%-90% of the world's chip production won't go unnoticed. Along with the likely full trade embargo against China.

Think there were chip and product shortages during Covid? That wouldn't even be a dress rehearsal in comparison!

China makes a move on Taiwan, and AMD/Intel's stock price or market share will be the least of anyone's concern. A global setback of only 25 years would be optimistic.

Samipini

Prominent
Apr 3, 2021
Tell me how many of these are made by TSMC and have nowhere else to be made. There are lots of legacy node foundries for the little silicon bits, Intel even made some recent purchases of them.
My point still stands.
ok i'll tell you. All of them except for that intel cpu are made in taiwan.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
Losing 60%-90% of the world's chip production won't go unnoticed. Along with the likely full trade embargo against China.

Think there were chip and product shortages during Covid? That wouldn't even be a dress rehearsal in comparison!

China makes a move on Taiwan, and AMD/Intel's stock price or market share will be the least of anyone's concern. A global setback of only 25 years would be optimistic.
Total global foundry revenue (not including Intel) in 2021 was 98.5B. Intel 2021 revenue: 72.5B. TSMC is a high tech, well run assembly plant using equipment and materials produced elsewhere. All of those ASML euv machine orders will go somewhere else. There is a lot of older capacity for less performance critical components on older nodes elsewhere. And perhaps you haven't noticed the current market glut.

My point was concerning TSMC, not the global consequences of China sanctions.

The product shortages from China being sanctioned are a different matter. Lifestyles would have to change. Less consumerism to start.