AMD Cool 'n Quiet. Useless?

jinshifu

Distinguished
May 16, 2005
I was wondering if the AMD Cool 'n Quiet feature is actually useful, or is it just some useless feature that creates more overhang?

And since we're on this topic, is the ASUS AI NOS(Non-delay Overclocking System) actually helps, or is it, too, a useless feature?

BePe86

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2005
Yes, it actually works, the computer requires less power, produces less heat (and less noise), and it will clock itself up to iriginal speed when you require more CPU power.

As for the ASUS AI overclock, I guess it works to a certain degree, however, I still believe mnaual overclocking is the best.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
C&Q is nice because when your system is idle, it slows the CPU down to run at 800mhz. That significantly reduces the heat the CPU produces, allowing fans to spin slower (some mobos do that automatically). I guess, since A64's don't generate that much heat anyways, it could be called useless...

No idea on the NOS. (I don't even use it in cars :evil: )

Mike.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
I recently built a 3000+ Venice, and found it pretty useless on that chip, because even at full speed, it barely exceeds 35°C and with the Zalman I put on it, running at its lowest speed, its totally, completely silent :)

But that doesnt mean C&Q doesnt work, or doesn't serve a purpose, especially on the faster parts.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =