AMD Cooler Than Intel?

frdmftr

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
I have a Coolermaster V6GT on my FX8320 and no matter what I do the temp never exceeds 71c. and that is a peak temp when overclocked at 4.85GHz with 1.446 on the VCore. Under normal operation I keep it at 4.4Ghz and stock voltage. I was going to replace the V6 with the H100i but they were running a sale on the H80. So instead of the H100i on my comp and moving the V6 I decided it would be less fuss to keep the V6 in place and just put the H80 on my comp with the AMD 965. Clocked at 3.6GHz the high is 53c on low mode.

In all the reviews I saw the temps much higher but just about all the benchmarks on cpu coolers are done using Intel cpu's. Do intel chips run that much hotter than AMD or is CPUID Hardware Monitor faulty?

Solution
starting from Intel's 3rd generation CPUs, extremely hot temperatures were caused by a gap between the IHS and die which were caused by the glue that was used to seal the lid shut. of course, TIM will also have an effect but, imo, the gap that is created between the IHS and die of the CPU is a bigger contributor to the rise of temperatures as the IHS and die do not receive the proper contact they need.

Enrique767

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013
its basic science that amd cpu's tend to run hotter i suppose. look at the TDP's of an i5/i7 vs any fx processor and you can see the amount of heat energy that has to be dissipated.

Therefore with the same heatsink + fan for one intel and one amd fx or phenom, you'll tend to have lower real life temps with an intel compared to an amd.

cheers

mr1hm

Distinguished
starting from Intel's 3rd generation CPUs, extremely hot temperatures were caused by a gap between the IHS and die which were caused by the glue that was used to seal the lid shut. of course, TIM will also have an effect but, imo, the gap that is created between the IHS and die of the CPU is a bigger contributor to the rise of temperatures as the IHS and die do not receive the proper contact they need.

Solution

frdmftr

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013

Okay so they do run hotter and CPUID is not faulty is what I gather from your answer. That being the case the V6GT I have should be just fine for my OD'd 8320.

mr1hm

Distinguished

yes, you will see much higher temperatures with intel ivy bridge and haswell compared to AMD's latest Vishera CPU. and yes, the cooler should be just fine :)

TRENDING THREADS