AMD Cool'n'Quiet and AMD PowerNow defeats the idea of turbo?

G

I've used the AMD Cool'n'Quiet and AMD PowerNow features on my AMD pc's (and still on a couple), and they are great for keeping the fans quieter and the entire system cooler.
Lately I've been curious about turbo on AMD cpu's, so I've ran some benchmarks on a few CPU's with turbo and have monitored the boost and what not.

In my observation, I've found the performance of turbo to be similar to AMD Cool'n'Quiet and AMD PowerNow, and even appears to be useless/unnoticeable when AMD Cool'n'Quiet or AMD PowerNow is enabled.
Ex:
AMD CPU at 2.5GHz stock and at 2.8GHz with turbo activated.
With AMD Cool'n'Quiet or AMD PowerNow enabled, the stock 2.5GHz goes down to as low as 800MHz, and will fluctuate from there all the way up to the turbo speed of 2.8GHz

Due to the above sample, I've tried disabling turbo and setting the stock to the turbo speed of 2.8GHz, and sure enough when AMD Cool'n'Quiet or AMD PowerNow is activated, the same fluctuation occurred between 800MHz and 2.8GHz.
I then tried setting stock to default 2.5GHz with turbo disabled again, and fluctuation by AMD Cool'n'Quiet or AMD PowerNow was from 800MHz to 2.5GHz.

The only significant difference I see here is that if someone wants to disable AMD Cool'n'Quiet or AMD PowerNow, they can still benefit from a boost while retaining a good stock power, rather than going down in the MHz.

So my question for AMD expert/knowledgeable ones is:
Why did AMD bother with "turbo" if AMD Cool'n'Quiet or AMD PowerNow functions similar, but saves more energy? Is it mainly for marketing purposes (because AMD Cool'n'Quiet or AMD PowerNow will not sound as cool as TURBO BOOST to fans)?

This is my guess:
AMD Cool'n'Quiet or AMD PowerNow are for users who really aim for power/heat/noise conservation.
Turbo (with AMD Cool'n'Quiet or AMD PowerNow disabled) are for users who aim for the middle ground, wanting energy/heat/noise reduction during low usage but with an extra boost when needed, without completely sacrificing idle performance for take off.
And of course the full on power and overclocking are for people who wants a powerhouse that's on at all times and ready for take-off like a muscle car.

What are you guys' thoughts on AMD's reasoning behind turbo?

G

Forgot to unclick "solutions rather than discussion". How do I change it to discussion?

bernardblack

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
I just ran OCCT with turbo enabled and apm and cnq disabled and it only ran at stock clocks. I then enabled both and now I get my turbo speeds. I am using an and 7850k which uses turbocore 3.0.

TRENDING THREADS