[SOLVED] AMD Cpu’s 3600x 3700x or 3900x?

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
I come to the conclusion that all i will mainly be gaming, would it honestly be a waste of money if i got the Ryzen 9 3900x just for gaming? I saw a video on Youtube of the Ryzen 7 3700x and Ryzen 9 3900x 1080p (not much of a difference in frames). I may or may not want to stream but im a mystery when it comes down to it, if I actually do want to stream. I mainly wanted to get the newest hardware available now. I already decided on getting a RX 5700 xt. I just dont know if i would waste money on getting the R9 3900x just for gaming, it does have 12 cores and 24 threads. I guess i mainly want to play games on ultra like RDR 2 or PUBG, maybe more cpu or gpu intensive games. I just want a new cpu to last me 10 years without having to change in game settings to low or medium, if that makes sense. I come from using a rig that i have to have low settings to not get stutters or the best frames possible. I'd rather do stock than overclocking on a cpu.

Solution
The thing with ryzen is upgradeability. For example if you went with a 3000 series now, they should have one more CPU release on socket am4. Like my b350 board should be a 2 year old chipset, and I started with a 1st gen ryzen CPU. But with bios updates I was able to upgrade to a ryzen 3600. But could have used a 3700x if I wanted, or I think even higher. It will be interesting to see if they support the 4000 series CPUs on this board.
If that is the case you will want the best CPU you can afford. But asking for 10 years is a stretch. Especially as fast as technology is moving. That said, you might be served to wait a few months. Ryzen 4000 series should land this year sometimes I would think maybe with new motherboards. So that may be something you should consider as well.

Reactions: RodroX
Do you think i should get the new x570 motherboards?

If I had to choose between them I would go with the R7 3700X, the R9 seems to be overkill for gaming-only, for now. Also yes, Im not sure how bad you want/need your new system but waiting for Ryzen 4XXX does not sound like a bad idea either.

As for buying anew X570 board, I would ask you first, Do you already own a B450 or X470 motherboard?

If you already have a socket AM4 board that is above an A320 chipset and is decent, I would almost say don't go for the x570. Even my ASRock AB350 Pro 4 will support up to a 3950x. Not that you would place that cpu into that board, but it says it will do it. I have a 3600 now. But if it supports 4000 series later, I don't know that you gain performance by the higher end board unless you need PCIe 4.0 which at least for graphics will probably be a few more years before graphics cards can hit the limits of 3.0. By then you will probably have upgraded again anyway if you are like me.

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
If I had to choose between them I would go with the R7 3700X, the R9 seems to be overkill for gaming-only, for now. Also yes, Im not sure how bad you want/need your new system but waiting for Ryzen 4XXX does not sound like a bad idea either.As for buying anew X570 board, I would ask you first, Do you already own a B450 or X470 motherboard?
Well last week of May into June is when i was going to buy everything and make it last for longer than 2-3 Years because they still are new parts, and no i do not own a B450 or x470 mobo. I just prefer the x570 because of the 4.0 bandwidth and the fact that im wanting a rx 5700 xt, id just want to take advantage of everything and build the best thats on the market and like i said have it last me.

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
If you already have a socket AM4 board that is above an A320 chipset and is decent, I would almost say don't go for the x570. Even my ASRock AB350 Pro 4 will support up to a 3950x. Not that you would place that cpu into that board, but it says it will do it. I have a 3600 now. But if it supports 4000 series later, I don't know that you gain performance by the higher end board unless you need PCIe 4.0 which at least for graphics will probably be a few more years before graphics cards can hit the limits of 3.0. By then you will probably have upgraded again anyway if you are like me.
I do not no. I was just trying to build my future rig, i was originally looking to do intel but they are too expensive. I would love to do the i9-9900k and i know that thing gets hot pretty quick, my brother told me theres a liquid cooling system where you dont have to do any maintenance and just replace it every so years

The thing with ryzen is upgradeability. For example if you went with a 3000 series now, they should have one more CPU release on socket am4. Like my b350 board should be a 2 year old chipset, and I started with a 1st gen ryzen CPU. But with bios updates I was able to upgrade to a ryzen 3600. But could have used a 3700x if I wanted, or I think even higher. It will be interesting to see if they support the 4000 series CPUs on this board.

Solution