[SOLVED] AMD cpu cooling, no OC

samjacobson13

Prominent
Jul 8, 2018
I currently run i5 6600k on a z170 with a 1080 8gb, 16gb ram, and 550 Watts. I need to upgrade my cpu and AMD seems to have totally knocked it out of the park with their new 3xxx series. Making the switch from intel to amd obviously means a new mobo, but I'm not so fluent in AMD chipsets and such so I'm looking for some help with picking out a decent mobo. Aside from that, I would also like to know about coolers. Is the stock cooler okay for 1080p gaming at 144Hz? Will my corsair h60 be cross compatible? Or, does a new mobo mean a new cooler?

Extra info: I'm planning on getting the ryzen 5 3600x. My budget is around $500 USD with a decent amount of flexibility (~$50). I figured $125 each for mobo and cooler would be sufficient.
Please let me know if I missed anything.
Thanks for any help!

Solution
Reviews for the 3600 do not seem to be out.
At the $200 price point, the competition will be the 6 core 9600K.
Looking at reviews, the 9600K competes with the 3700X in gaming:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-3700x/15.html

If your main use is for multithreaded apps, then a 12 thread 3600 is a good buy.
If your main use is for gaming, then I would consider the 9600K.
Using the intel performance maximizer, you are likely to be able to run near 5.0 on all cores.
That is very good for gaming.
You would not need a different cooler, H60 is not the best, but OK.
A z390 based motherboard will be about $120 and your current ram will work fine, intel is not sensitive to ram speeds.

Should you go with the 3600, plan on using...
The new x570 boards seem quite pricy, but with $500, you should still be ok. But with no oc planned, the stock cooler should cut it. If not, any decent air cooler will.

The h60 should be compatible, but you'll need the am4 bracket. Which depending on when you bought the cooler, yoh may or may not have. If you don't it's probably available from corsair for cheap.

What speed is your current ram? Ryzen loves high speed and the 3xxx will offer best price/performance with 3600mhz according to amd. But you'll want 3000 at the least. Just something to think about.

samjacobson13

Prominent
Jul 8, 2018
My ram is ddr4-3000mHz, I don't think I need an upgrade but if you think that more than 3000 is necessary for the new amd set then I might as well. I bought that way back in 2016.

samjacobson13

Prominent
Jul 8, 2018
3000 is good, I wouldn't be rushing to upgrade right away. I'm on Intel also, so no amd expert. I think that's on the low side for amd, but since you have it, I don't think anyone is gonna recommend rushing out to get better.
Yeah after a few years of learning about PC's on intel, it's tough to adjust lol. Thanks for the help anyways.

I think you'll be pretty happy with the jump to the 3600! If I didn't get a killer deal on my 7700, free cuz my work was recycling several pc. I'd be doing the same move, 6600k to 3600/x. Your ram should be fine, as again, it's what I'd be using because it's what I have. And if it's good ram, you could probably hit it with a small oc, may be up to 3200 or so.

Reviews for the 3600 do not seem to be out.
At the $200 price point, the competition will be the 6 core 9600K.
Looking at reviews, the 9600K competes with the 3700X in gaming:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-3700x/15.html

If your main use is for multithreaded apps, then a 12 thread 3600 is a good buy.
If your main use is for gaming, then I would consider the 9600K.
Using the intel performance maximizer, you are likely to be able to run near 5.0 on all cores.
That is very good for gaming.
You would not need a different cooler, H60 is not the best, but OK.
A z390 based motherboard will be about $120 and your current ram will work fine, intel is not sensitive to ram speeds.

Should you go with the 3600, plan on using the included stock cooler.
There are likely adapters for your H60 available if you want.

Solution