Jun 12, 2010
I need to find a Cpu for my Build

4GB DDR3 Ram

AMD 6850

Cooler Master Elite 341 m-ATX Mini Tower Case Black

500 GB Hard drive

460W coolmaster

now all i need is CPU any ideas?

I understand from the last OP post that he still wanna go with AMD, why do you still insist? :p
AMD Phenom II X4 975 BE
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=amd+phenom+ii+x4&x=0&y=0

Because I'm trying to save him money. It's not worth buying AMD today.

No need to get it complex, AMD 980 BE and 975 BE are great gaming chips than the whole Thuban and Zambezi series, the OP does have a HD 6850 even if with HD 7970 there's no bottleneck.

The major disadvantage of AMD CPUs show in RPG games which require a faster CPU.

there's no difference between $1000 CPU and $150 CPU when it comes to GPU intensive games ;
batman%201920.png

When it comes to CPU intensive games such as WOW, there's a bottleneck but never falls behind 60 FPS which is the target any one seek with a single GPU setup. Also, Overclocking allowing more and more out of the CPU.
wow%201920.png

Those benches were with a GTX 680.

jerubedo

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
I am mostly an Intel fan myself, however I do have 4 gaming rigs right now. My main one is obviously an intel, but the other 3 are all AMD because it is overall way cheaper (AMD mobos are generally cheaper plus you only need 2 sticks of memory compared to the 3 or 4 depending on the intel chip). My side-gaming rigs all have the FX-8120 in them (8 core CPU sale price of 149.99 at microcenter) and I have coupled with it a GTX 670 with no bottleneck at all.

So my vote is for the FX-8120

Faster in what? Most benches and charts shows no difference between any Intel CPU and AMD CPU in case of gaming, look at the following, can you see the 975BE and 980BE in top of charts and very competing with the high end 2500/2600K which are the great gaming chisp?
Gaming_01.png

Gaming_02.png

Gaming_03.png

Gaming_04.png

@geofelt
Most modern games utilize more than 2 cores, I don't know what's the problem with the 975BE.
@ ilysaml
Here is one study to attempt to answer that question:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/07/05/how-many-cpu-cores-do-games-need/1

As an ex programmer, I can attest to the increase indifficulty in writing an app for many threads vs. one or two.
Game developers want the largest possible market for their games, and have no desire for the added expense of implementing multi threading, or designing a game that requires it.
No doubt, that over time we will see more use of added threads.
In the near term, the path to better gaming is usually through a more capable graphics card.
There are exceptions, FSX comes to mind.
If the OP plays one game exclusively, then the build should be designed for that.

I am mostly an Intel fan myself, however I do have 4 gaming rigs right now. My main one is obviously an intel, but the other 3 are all AMD because it is overall way cheaper (AMD mobos are generally cheaper plus you only need 2 sticks of memory compared to the 3 or 4 depending on the intel chip). My side-gaming rigs all have the FX-8120 in them (8 core CPU sale price of 149.99 at microcenter) and I have coupled with it a GTX 670 with no bottleneck at all.

So my vote is for the FX-8120
So you seem to be knowledgabe and know what you want, but the 980 BE and 975 BE particular CPUs are the best in all AMDs for gaming.

jerubedo

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012

Yes but on the sandybridge architecture you are giving up true dual pci-e 16x, which makes me shiver. I'd rather have the i7 920 on the X58 architecture than that.

jerubedo

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012

Oh, I completely agree, but those two chips are just a tad out of the price range of the OP.

Yes, there is a difference using X8, X8 but less than you might think. More likely, the cpu will be a limiting factor first.
Here is one such study. There may be newer studies with stronger cards:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pcie-geforce-gtx-480-x16-x8-x4,2696.html