AMD CPU FX 8120 vs AMD CPU PHEN2 X6

Status
Not open for further replies.

loneninja

Distinguished

That logic makes no sense. Intels I5 2500 is no more expensive than an FX 8120, and is superior to anything AMD has for gaming. :lol:

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
if you look at reviews, most games out there now just want the faster ghz chip. As games mature to more and more multi-thread friendly, more cores will look better, but right now its all about speed. With that said, the 8120 is a 3.1 ghz cpu, vs the 980 at 3.8 ghz or 1100T at 3.7 ghz.

If you plan on overclocking, the 8120 will reach higher than the phenom IIs, and thats the only way you will get more out of the 8120. At stock its just too slow.

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008

Do not forget too that a FX-8120 vs Phenom II (both at SAME Ghz), Phenom II monocores is faster than FX-8120.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
so your trying to say games will not use more than 4 cores till 2014? While I somewhat agree that will be when MOST games support 4+, it is beneficial today.(notice how dirt 3 favors the 8-core "slower" cpu on techspot) Benchmarkers just run the game without background things going on, where as average users have lots of apps in the background, (virus checkers, voice chat, internet windows, ect). Wich cpu would stumble more when the worst of those kicks in (virus scan).

As for your saying games needing to use the faster cpu, read my first post where I said that already.

for pure gaming today the 980 is the faster AMD choice. you can always upgrade just the cpu later (probably get a used one cheap) as long as you buy a newer motherboard that supports it.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

Whats so hard to understand about MOST? Most != all. want proof?

re5.jpg

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

Then whats your point in complaining that i said MOST games will benefit later. the only arguement is that you think All games will not benefit till later. or is you think that if you take the average of all games = ... what ... it still does not take away from the fact that MOST games will not benefit right now, there are and always will be exceptions.

Or maybe you missed what I said alltogether

so your trying to say games will not use more than 4 cores till 2014? While I somewhat agree that will be when MOST games support 4+ threads, it is of benefit today.

Did I say most games will benefit or did i say that is when most games will benefit ...

But i do like that article, wich cpu takes the smallest hit when multitasking?

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

no, actually it was my whole point, that time is starting (Key word, starting )now, not 2 years from now. So the big question on purchasing a new cpu, outdate it starting now or extend it a year or two with the x6 or 8120 ( <-- only recommended if overclocking), or as I stated also, 980 now (or the 965 on sale +1 to that), best available for the motherboard when its too slow.

As games move more and more away from single thread and in essence 4 threads, even today's top cpu choice (x4 980) will start to look slower and slower as time goes on, where the x6 will keep up a bit longer, just as seen in dirt 3, hawx 2, and most prominent in resident evil 5.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

If your such a god and know everything known to man

Explain the chart i linked earlier how can a 3.3 ghz 6-core thuban run faster than a 4-core 3.7ghz x4 since no game as you put it can utilize more than 4 cores. Your only failure is to look beyond blind beliefs even when handed to you.

If you concentrating on the word NEED now, ya, no game will probably ever NEED beyond a 4 core cpu, doesn't mean it won't run like crap, but it wil still work. If thats what you meant, maybe thats what you should have said in the first place, instead of your constant story changing.
2. correct, games will not utilize more then four cores until eight generation consoles

you do know the difference between utilize and need right?

and lol ... forum ettiquette .... BITE ME

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

I love blind ambition

3.3 ghz vs 3.7 ghz ... go. explain it, don't just close your eyes.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

lol way to avoid the subject, your wrong and you know it.

Since your so blind not to see how RE5 is a heavily multi-thread friendly game that doesn't exist, maybe explain why the 990x is at the top. can't be because of the 2 extra cores since no game uses more than 4 cores.

or better yet, maybe the chart is upside down.

or maybe resident evil 5 isn't actually a game at all, but instead a conspiracy.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

well hey, since you want to use toms for your arguement, lets check those also

Metro 2033
3.0ghz = 57.3 average 18.8 minimum <--- x6
3.5ghz = 56.0 average 14.5 minimum<--- x4

Metro2033.png

Lost planet 2 same article
3.0 ghz = 55
3.5 ghz = 52.5

who is running away ... why does a 6-core 0.5ghz slower processor win or tie when no games use more than 4 cores? first you say that legit reviews and re5 don't exist, fine explain toms results. no running away.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

who is changing the subject, your the idiot trying to tell me there isn't a single game in existance that can utilize more than 4 cores. I have done that several times now.

The time for 6+ core gaming is starting now, period .. otherwise defend yourself instead of trying to pretend those games don't exist, even on tom's site.

That article your posting was done in march, even toms stated what I have said, games largely(aka MOST) don’t seem to utilize more than four threads at a time.. But even that can be shown even in their own review does not mean ALL games. When the game supports multi-threading past 4 cores, even a slower clocked cpu shows improvement with more cores. They even said in their overall chart, its skewed because of one buggy game title that ran slow on the x6 cpu.

The final results suffer a little from the curious issue this processor suffers when playing F1 2010, but even when this game isn't taken into account the results are identical to a cheaper Phenom II X4.
that cheaper x4 is 0.5 ghz faster but throwing identical results ...

completely incorrect, that time is not now as no game need six cores.

Its ok to admit that your wrong, and that games are continuing to change towards more multiple threads even today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS